Hoping for an MD acceptance in the future

Started by AP03
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AP03

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be starting my 3rd year of undergrad this fall and I'm hoping someone could give me a little bit of advice/insight on my situation based on the stats I have now.

I started college and endured some hardships resulting in a GPA of 0.75 (I didn't finish the semester, I simply quit attending). After starting a new university, I completed two years with a cGPA of 3.51. With both GPAs figured, I have about a 2.81 (sGPA is much higher - none of the classes taken my very first semester were science classes). I plan on spending an extra year in undergrad to try to increase my GPA some. Obviously, I know I have to get as close to a 4.0 every semester from now on (it's not so easy with a 2 year old and having to work full time but I'm trying) My major is Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. I haven't declared a minor yet.

Over the past two years, I have:
-worked full time (40 hrs/week) as a Pharm Tech
-volunteered at a local hospital in the ER (so far only 40 hrs) but I plan to continue until I apply
- volunteered with various organizations (i.e. Salvation Army)
- Pre-Med Club
- Molecular Bio Club (Vice President)
- Raised $5,000 for cancer research (this was a project that I developed and lead)
- so far, 6 months of research involving public accessibility to healthcare (still currently working - publication to come)
- Recently started another research project involving Cancer research. We have projected that this will continue for the next year or so with a publication in the future.

Future plans:
-I plan to shadow doctors in three different specialties
-I will continue the research I'm working on now possibly adding more.
-I plan to continue volunteering at the hospital
-I would like to do more volunteering throughout my community.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do for the next 2 to 3 years to improve my app for a possible MD acceptance. Obviously, I have to work on my GPA, but is there anything else I should be doing that I'm not?

Thank you in advance 😀
 
I wish you the best of luck, but no matter now impressive your accomplishments afterward if you can't get that cGPA up to the 3.3/3.4 range at a minimum I'd say you're going to have a very difficult time getting into an MD school. It's sad, but it's reality because you'll not even make the paper cut.

Keep going to school for a long time, petition for retroactive withdrawals for those courses you took (slim chance of success, but if you've got a good excuse I'd try), just get that GPA however you can.

Luckily, there are still other options (e.g. DO) and if you wanna be a physician, even if you don't wanna go to school for ages to raise your GPA you can do it.
 
I've been told before that I could ask for withdrawals in those classes during my first semester, but I was wondering (if by some miracle that they granted them), how bad would it look on my app? I'm asking because I have 3 other W's already at a school I attended before the one I'm at now. Those happened because I became pregnant and couldn't manage going to school and working full time while being pregnant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad