• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Hoping for an MD acceptance in the future

AP03

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
  1. Pre-Medical
    I will be starting my 3rd year of undergrad this fall and I'm hoping someone could give me a little bit of advice/insight on my situation based on the stats I have now.

I started college and endured some hardships resulting in a GPA of 0.75 (I didn't finish the semester, I simply quit attending). After starting a new university, I completed two years with a cGPA of 3.51. With both GPAs figured, I have about a 2.81 (sGPA is much higher - none of the classes taken my very first semester were science classes). I plan on spending an extra year in undergrad to try to increase my GPA some. Obviously, I know I have to get as close to a 4.0 every semester from now on (it's not so easy with a 2 year old and having to work full time but I'm trying) My major is Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. I haven't declared a minor yet.

Over the past two years, I have:
    -worked full time (40 hrs/week) as a Pharm Tech
    -volunteered at a local hospital in the ER (so far only 40 hrs) but I plan to continue until I apply
    - volunteered with various organizations (i.e. Salvation Army)
    - Pre-Med Club
    - Molecular Bio Club (Vice President)
    - Raised $5,000 for cancer research (this was a project that I developed and lead)
    - so far, 6 months of research involving public accessibility to healthcare (still currently working - publication to come)
    - Recently started another research project involving Cancer research. We have projected that this will continue for the next year or so with a publication in the future.

Future plans:
    -I plan to shadow doctors in three different specialties
    -I will continue the research I'm working on now possibly adding more.
    -I plan to continue volunteering at the hospital
    -I would like to do more volunteering throughout my community.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do for the next 2 to 3 years to improve my app for a possible MD acceptance. Obviously, I have to work on my GPA, but is there anything else I should be doing that I'm not?

Thank you in advance :D

TRN1983

MS1 - I.e. "Know nothing"
    10+ Year Member
    Jul 27, 2008
    1. Medical Student
      I wish you the best of luck, but no matter now impressive your accomplishments afterward if you can't get that cGPA up to the 3.3/3.4 range at a minimum I'd say you're going to have a very difficult time getting into an MD school. It's sad, but it's reality because you'll not even make the paper cut.

Keep going to school for a long time, petition for retroactive withdrawals for those courses you took (slim chance of success, but if you've got a good excuse I'd try), just get that GPA however you can.

Luckily, there are still other options (e.g. DO) and if you wanna be a physician, even if you don't wanna go to school for ages to raise your GPA you can do it.

AP03

10+ Year Member
      Feb 11, 2009
      Michigan
      1. Pre-Medical
        I've been told before that I could ask for withdrawals in those classes during my first semester, but I was wondering (if by some miracle that they granted them), how bad would it look on my app? I'm asking because I have 3 other W's already at a school I attended before the one I'm at now. Those happened because I became pregnant and couldn't manage going to school and working full time while being pregnant.

About the Ads
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.