Hoping for Creighton interview

Started by Kablamo99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

K

Kablamo99

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a new member here, and anxiety finally got the better of me.:scared:
I'm posting to get some feedback.

I took the PCAT for the first time in January and got a 61% composite, I wasn't ready to take the test any sooner than that, and was surprised really, that I got above 50. I've been a pharmacy tech. for 5 years and I have a 3.7 GPA not including this semester. I'll have all of my prerequisites done in May.

I was planning on enrollment for the web based 2008 term, but decided to try for this Fall when I realized I could finish my classes this Spring. Unfortunately, I don't think Creighton will grant me an interview based on the PCAT I received. I also don't belong to any official volunteer programs. My husband and I own our home and I have previous medical expenses, so I have to work to help pay the bills. I usually volunteer through our church based on my weekly schedule.

My advisor let me know that my application was reviewed last week and that I should find out this week if they will grant me an interview. My stomach is in a knot! Has anyone been through the interview process with Creighton that could give me some hope? I know at worst, I can re-apply next year.
 
I'm a new member here, and anxiety finally got the better of me.:scared:
I'm posting to get some feedback.

I took the PCAT for the first time in January and got a 61% composite, I wasn't ready to take the test any sooner than that, and was surprised really, that I got above 50. I've been a pharmacy tech. for 5 years and I have a 3.7 GPA not including this semester. I'll have all of my prerequisites done in May.

I was planning on enrollment for the web based 2008 term, but decided to try for this Fall when I realized I could finish my classes this Spring. Unfortunately, I don't think Creighton will grant me an interview based on the PCAT I received. I also don't belong to any official volunteer programs. My husband and I own our home and I have previous medical expenses, so I have to work to help pay the bills. I usually volunteer through our church based on my weekly schedule.

My advisor let me know that my application was reviewed last week and that I should find out this week if they will grant me an interview. My stomach is in a knot! Has anyone been through the interview process with Creighton that could give me some hope? I know at worst, I can re-apply next year.

I don't know anything about Creighton, cause I'm an OU girl, but I know EXACTLY how you feel. I had a child when I was 19, so I've been married and working since then. (Dosen't leave much time for EC's.) I also have tons of medical expenses (7,500 last year alone!!! 😱 😱 ) Your PCAT isn't that bad. But, it may not be real competitive. If you don't get in, focus on retaking it. You can also get your CPhT (not hard) and maybe volunteer somewhere (I do it one night a week). Just some thoughts. I know that I like knowing someone is in the same boat as me. 👍
 
I know you have a famoly but you can apply to more schools if it is pharmacy you want.Your stats are good.It is not just about the PCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed with Creighton on March 2nd, and I thought it went well.🙂

There were both web-based and campus-based pathway candidates interviewing on my day, and we pretty much followed the same schedule. For you, here are the average Fall 2006 acceptance stats for the web-based pathway as reported by Creighton (through a Powerpoint presentation their admissions crew showed the interviewees):

Enrollment: 55 students
Average GPA: 3.42
Average PCAT composite: 86th percentile
Average Age: 29
80% have a degree
75% female, 25% male
17% ethnically diverse
29 states represented

Creighton likes volunteer/service work of any kind though they prefer people with pharmacy experience, so your 5+ years of pharm tech should be a huge plus as well as your GPA. Also, Creighton interviews about two people per seat after receiving around eight completed applications per seat. If you get an interview, then you know that you made it past a big hurdle and you can focus on hitting a figurative "home run" during your interview. If not, then at least you know that you were turned down by a very competitive school.
 
Cycloketocaine, thanks for the encouragement. I love your picture too, cute! I have my CPhT, got it a few years ago because of the increase in pay. 👍

Wish I could apply to more schools, the closest to us is a 3.5 hour drive though. I have a good job, my husband does as well, so we really couldn't relocate right now. You're right, I could study and retake the PCAT for next year, but it would be so nice to get in this year!

Thanks for the comments! If anyone else has anything to add, feel free.
 
For you, here are the average Fall 2006 acceptance stats for the web-based pathway as reported by Creighton (through a Powerpoint presentation their admissions crew showed the interviewees):

Enrollment: 55 students
Average GPA: 3.42
Average PCAT composite: 86th percentile
Average Age: 29
80% have a degree
75% female, 25% male
17% ethnically diverse
29 states represented

Yeah, it's that Average PCAT composite that has me worried. Thanks for the encouragement. I never looked at getting an interview in that way.
 
Hi - Best of luck in getting an interview. I agree with previous posters regarding your experience and GPA. 👍 But don't discount your church volunteer work either - it's really easy to overlook things you do when a lot of times they really are volunteer activities (helping at your kids' school for example).

Creighton does look for well-rounded applicants and I was told by many when I was applying that they look at more than just GPA and PCAT. With that being said though, their website does say they *prefer* a PCAT above 60, with greater than 60 in each sub-section. If things don't work out this year, I would just suggest trying to pull up your PCAT ever so slightly and you should be competitive there.

And just one other thing to mention - I know that re-location would be difficult (or impossible) for you, and you mentioned that you have a good job...They reiterated to us several times that they do not recommend working full-time while in the distance program. I'm sure some people try it, and maybe some people are even successful at it - its just something to keep in mind.

Again, best of luck to you - you can PM me if you have any other specific questions.
 
I think my experience might be relevant to you because I have interesting circumstances that Creighton (thus far) has been really understanding about. I had a son my freshman year of college (at 19), and have gone to school full-time since he was born. When I applied to the Creighton web-based program this year, I talked a lot in my personal statement about the difficult balance of being a mom and doing school. I also got an interview March 2nd, which I'm still waiting to hear back from. My stats are above Creighton's averages (3.75 gpa & 91 pcat), but, since I've had my son, it hasn't been possible for me to get in any time for volunteer activities. When they asked me this in my interview, I simply told them that I was involved in tons of ec stuff pre-mommyhood, but since then, I've had to focus my time on my son & school (and work) exclusively. I did, however, say that as my son gets older, I want to find volunteer activities that we can do as a family, teaching him the value of compassion for others, etc. So, I would say it would be pretty critical to work on that pcat score (i did it for the october exam by studying about an hour every night from june till august, and then once school started, taking whatever small bits of time to review what i'd done over the summer), but for me, they really have made me feel like my circumstances will not count against me. In all of my dealings with Creighton, I have felt like they really respect what I have overcome in finishing school with my son, and it has easily made them my first choice, if they want me 🙂 So, sorry for the long post, but I would say work on the pcat, get in some volunteer experience if you can, but recognize that, at least in my experience, they are very understanding of personal circumstances.
 
They reiterated to us several times that they do not recommend working full-time while in the distance program. I'm sure some people try it, and maybe some people are even successful at it - its just something to keep in mind.

They told our class that multiple times....I worked full time for 3 years and didn't have much of a problem.
 
I was at the January 26th (1st) interview date for the distance program. I rec'd an acceptance letter 2 weeks later! Creighton looks at the entire package. Here are my stats:

-GPA: overall 3.3, science 3.4 (don't know how that switch happened!!).
-PCAT: 80, 68. Writing: 3,4. All subsections for both exams above 60, except chemistry was UNDER 60 both times. My OChem 1 class I got a B in, though.
-LOTS of leadership and extracurricular: Sorority president, 4-year member. Panhellenic VP. Arthritis Foundation volunteer 4 yrs. 7-year high school and collegiate cheerleading coach. 3-year division 1 cheerleader.
-Interior Design major
-31 years old
-Medical Transcriptionist AT HOME for 3 years.
-Lots of volunteering at various organizations, mostly 1 time only events.
-Health problems I have been dealing with for 14 years - IBD.
-Pharm Tech for 6 months when I applied. Pharmacy volunteer 6 more months.

If I did it with my background (Interior Design major!), you can too! Just be BALANCED. They seem to prefer older students with MATURITY and LIFE EXPERIENCE.

The interview I believe is a big thing for them. How you carry yourself is crucial.

Good luck. PM if you'd like!
 
Thank you all so much for taking time to post!

Drugdoc, congratulations!!!
It is so reassuring to hear that people in similar situations are getting accepted! Thank you for the info too.

I also had recurring medical problems that kept me out of college for 6 years. Being a patient for so long, combined with the happen stance job as a pharmacy technician, led me to appreciate the medications that helped me function on a daily basis. More importantly, I gained respect for compassionate health care providers. Once I was healthy again and could focus on a career, pharmacy seemed like the natural choice. I love what I do, and I'm really looking forward to graduate school (yeah, I'm one of those strange people that gets excited about school).

I made B's in General Chem. I and II last year, but I love Organic and made an A in the class last semester. I expect one this semester too. I'm just worried about what the Adcom's might think because Chem was my lowest score on the PCAT (26, ouch!).
Time was the enemy on the exam. I like and understand Chemistry, but I take a little longer. I seriously ran out of time on that section.
 
kablamo99,
your situation sounds very familiar to mine. although the university in my hometown is currently working towards admitting their first year of pharmacy students this fall, i chose to apply only to creighton (web-based) this year. i took the pcat in october and although i got an 80 composite, my reading comprehension score was 48 🙁 i, like you, was very concerned as they clearly state that they prefer scores above 60. i expressed this concern to the advisor i was in contact with but a few days later, i got an interview request! i interviewed on jan. 26th and got accepted two weeks later.

i also have tons of medical bills as last year, my husband and i welcomed our second child who was born at 26 weeks...just weighing a pound and a half. with the nearest nicu several islands away, we spent a ton on medical expenses and lodging and all the other things that come with a lengthy hospital stay. similar to you, i emerged from that experience with a greater appreciation for pharmacy became convinced that that was the path for me.

it sounds like you've got a great attitude towards learning and an honest and genuine interest in the profession. my best advice would be to let that shine through. use every opportunity to do this...personal statement, supplemental, interview, etc. i think creighton is very understanding and realizes that first and foremost their students are people. sounds simple but most of the applicants i've talked to have other things going on simultaneously...and equally important--spouses, children, bills, work, community committments, etc. when beginning the application process i took a look at their criteria for evaluation and i listed my background/experience accordingly to get a feel for where i could improve on (or had control over!) i chose to volunteer at two pharmacies just two hours each a week and participated as much as possible in the organizations that i am a member of...do what you can. we all can't be super-human but i think they want to see that your head and heart is in the right place.

i could go on and on but if you've got specific questions, i'd be happy to help. good luck and i'll cross my fingers for your inteview invite!!!
 
Clearly, DrugDoc is going to have the best-looking, most nicely appointed, color-coordinated pharmacy on the block..... ;-)

(congrats on your acceptance)
 
It took me a second, but I got it 🙂 One of my interviewers actually jokingly said something like that, too!!

For me, I took my Interior Design background/major and put a spin on it, because I knew it would obviously come up in interviews. I took years to finish my pharm prerequisites (I had some done from when I first began college, as I was an engineering major - I know,,,I know...), showing determination and proving that pharmacy was not a snap decision for me. It was something that evolved and feels 1000% right for me, like everything I have done up to this point was pointing me in this direction.

Both of my interviews (MN and Creighton) absolutely LOVED the fact that I was a diverse student. At MN he pointed out that a lot of interviewees he sees have tunnel vision (chem, chem, chem, chem). With my background, hopefully, I can see multidirectional, which is what design has actually taught me. MN is big on research and finding leaders who will not 'just' be a pharmacist upon graduating, but will go further. My impression, anyway. And, my interviewer was a philosophy and anthropology major in college - perfect for interviewing me! Creighton's interviewer seemed to have been a straightforward pharmacy-directed student turned pharmacist/professor, or it seemed, but also really appreciated a diverse student. We also got along GREAT, and had a similar passion - animals and veterinary pharmacy.

So...what ever your background is, look for the positives! Everyone has something unique about them - use it to your advantage!! And at the interviews try to find a similarity with your interviewer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to undergrad at Creighton (BA '05) and applied to CU Pharmacy web-based (wife is in medicine). If anyone has any specific questions about Creighton as a university, I might be able to help. I've gone to school here since 2000, I've worked here in almost every department (now with campus safety), and I've been in Omaha since 1997.

Also, I interviewed on March 2nd and am on the alternate list. I think my app. got in a little late, so I wasn't too surprised. I find out Wednesday how many get in off the alternate list, if any. Good luck to everyone.