1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hopkins Alternate List and Accepted?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrJ2B, Apr 15, 2004.

1. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all!

I just found out that I am on the alternate list at Hopkins which will get no further consideration in April. Does anyone know if this is basically a rejection or do I have a very very very slim chance to get considered if I show continued interest? Does anyone know of anyone who has been accepted off the alternate list? I am trying to gauge my options. I want complete closure even if it is going to crush me. I hope to have a shot at Hopkins, but if I do not have a shot, please tell me straight up. :( Thanks everyone!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    sweetie - that's the same letter I got. I think you're destined to end up at UPenn after all. :oops:

4. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I do not think any school wants me. I am going to start going in reapplication mode! :(

5. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just gonna have to wait it out bro...
    sure you may start to think about reapplications...but you are on waitlists and the process isnt over yet...you can more closely assess your status in June...and hopefully by that time a school will take you off a waitlist man...

"...don't you worry we'll all float on all right..." MM

6. Elizabeth1028

Elizabeth1028 busy busy bee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey DRJ2B, I'm on the alternate list as well. I think the alternate list is good - my letter said that my application is still active and that they would be determining rankings on the list at the end of April. I think that unless it says you're on the low-tiered list, you still have a shot. If it is the low-tiered list, then I don't really know what your chances are. I'm sorry you didn't hear better news - I was rooting for you! :( PM me if you want to compare letters or discuss further. Best of luck with everything - remember, it ain't over 'til it's over! You're on waitlists and you definitely still have a chance at places. Try to stay positive (although I know, easier said than done). :)

7. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wait, you got interviewed @JH, but you didn't accepted anywhere else? :confused:

8. Tezzie

Tezzie b*witched
    7+ Year Member

I have a friend in the EXACT same situation. He got waitlisted (or rejected) from many top schools, waitlisted at plenty of mid tier schools and even got waitlisted at his state school (which was his last choice anyway).

9. klooless

klooless Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm sorry to hear that. :( But since the letter expressly says you are on the list that will not be further considered, you should just accept it at face value, and place your energies elsewhere for the time being. There is always light at the end of the tunnel though! As I believe you are on other waitlists that actually have some chance of moving (namely Penn). So I would not go into reapplication mode just yet (if I were in your shoes), because all doors have not yet been closed.

10. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

but he got in somewhere, right?

11. Tezzie

Tezzie b*witched
    7+ Year Member

OK! Edited!

12. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    And how! Right on Tezzie! :D

13. Tezzie

Tezzie b*witched
    7+ Year Member

BrickHouse i edited my reply. :)

Now edit your quote silly :p.

Btw to the OP : I know of people who got in from the waitlist in Hopkins in previous years. Don't sweat it. You will get in somewhere!

14. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Elizabeth!

Thanks for the support. I am on the low-tiered list. It specifically states I will no longer be considered. I am going to try to stay positive but it is very hard. I do not even have any acceptances. I should have applied to my state schools even though I do not want to stay in NY. I guess that is a mistake I will not make if I have to reapply.

15. darkcity998

darkcity998 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm on the low-tiered list also. I called in to see if I had any chance at all to climb up the list due to a misplaced letter of rec that they never received and the lady flat-out said that I was rejected even if I had that sent ASAP. The low-tier list is a rejection. I hate it when they put up your hopes and just shoot it down in 1 phone call. That lady was rude!

16. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey darkcity!

Thank you so much for the sobering truth. This process is so hard. I am still happy to have even interviewed at such a phenomenal school. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and the best of luck to those still in the game! I hope you all get in! :clap:

17. jjmack

jjmack Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student, Resident [Any Field]
    hey sorry to hear about the bad news. Can someone please tell me why there is a lower tier alternate list and not just reject the people? It sounds silly to me.