1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hopkins Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by aumed22, Nov 14, 2005.

1. aumed22

aumed22 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey guys, I know everyone's pretty busy, but I have a few questions about JHU that I was hoping some of y'all could answer. I'm crazy pumped about Hopkins, I just want to learn a little bit more about the school. Thanks so much in advance.

1) I know Hopkins is Honors, HP, P, F. However are Hopkins students ranked? I have heard somewhere that they aren't. Does this have any effect on matching?

2) If Hopkins students aren't ranked, then where does this legend of Hopkins students being crazy competitive come from? All the ones I met up there seemed fairly laid-back and cool.

3) Is Hopkins in the process of changing its curriculum or making any drastic changes that would affect me if I were to start in the fall of 2006?

4) Does Hopkins prepare you well for the boards? Does anyone have the data about their recent board scores?

5) Does anyone know how much financial aid in the form of grants Hopkins gives out a year? I'm not looking for a specific number, but coming from a middle class family, would I be in the running for a little financial relief in the form of grants?

Thanks again for your help. I know this a lot, but I would really appreciate any help

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aumed22

aumed22 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Shameless bump, anybody?

4. JDWflash44

JDWflash44 Workin it...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, I'm not a med student here, but I am in grad school at Bloomberg and live in Reed Hall. I am friends with some of the MSI's and can tell you what they have told me. I think the crazy competitive thing is more that everyone is crazy smart and everything is graded on a curve. I heard that one of their exams earlier this year had a class average of 90, meaning that you proabably needed a 98 to get an H and like a 96 to get a HP and if u were far enough under the average you got a F, 2 SD's perhaps, I dont know. The kids I've become friends with in the class are pretty social and go out, they say that there are many people in their class that literally study every free moment(hence the high average). As far as I know, financial aid here is 100% need based and they dont give out merit money, not positive about that though. The biggest complaint that I have heard is that many of the teachers aren't really enthusiastic about teaching the students and some dont really care. Also,the administration is not very open to student input. For example, they have an big exam the day they get back from Thanksgiving, meaning if they go home this weekend ,they will probably be studying most of the time. What a great way to spend one of the few times they got to go home during the year :rolleyes: Personally, after 3 months living here, I dont think I would want to go to Hopkins even if were to get in. My $.02...

Jim

5. KevinZ

KevinZ Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am by no means an expert. All I've done is research their school before the interview, went to the interview, and was fortunate enough to get accepted.

1) I don't know. What I do know is that Hopkins students match VERY well, with around half staying at Johns Hopkins Hospitals and many going to Harvard affiliated hospitals. Since JH has the best hospital system in the country (according to US News), the Hopkins name will probably get you fairly far regardless of rank or H/HP/P. That being said, I've heard at every single school I've interviewed at that letters of recommendation during clinical years far surpass the importance of 1st and 2nd year grades.

2) Your guess is as good as mine, but when you take kids who are motivated, talented, and competitive enough to go to Hopkins in a three-tiered grading system, it's probably not all fun and games. Every medical school will tell you there's at least one gunner in their class who can't get out of the library. The school says the competitive reputation is a remnant of history and no longer exists, but I think many would argue against that whenever there's competitive grading.

3) I don't remember hearing anything big during my interview day. I think they're fairly well established with their curriculum (they also pioneered many aspects of modern medical education).

4) The student I talked to at Hopkins during my tour hinted that Board scores weren't anything to awe at, but were nevertheless high and students matched well.

5) I know there's no merit based aid. However, I hear the packages are fairly generous. I think the MSAR pegged average debt at $103,000.

Again, correct me if I wrote anything wrong. These are just my best guesses with limited exposure to Hopkins.

6. aumed22

aumed22 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks so much for your input. I would love to learn more about the school, and if anyone else has something to add, please tell.

7. Risa

Risa like Lisa with an R
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    At another one of my interviews some of the students made an interesting point about average debt, which I hadn't completely thought of.

They said that almost no one really has a debt of $100 or $110 or whatever the average happens to be at that school... the average includes ALL students, many of whom don't have any debt at all. So most people with actual debt are going to have a good $200,000 worth.

That's what they said, anyway.

Yikes.

8. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When it comes to grading on a curve, is Hopkins the exception or the norm?

9. Bernito

Bernito Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't worry about a school's reputation for being cut-throat.

One dean of admissions I spoke to put it best: If you take a bunch of people who are good/great students and used to being top of their class (which is what medical students are at basically any tier school), in medical school, all of the sudden half of these people will be in the bottom half of the class. That CAN lead to tension, competitiveness, etc.

Just worry about yourself and what you are doing to prepare yourself. Otherwise you could become a "gunner" and make the situation worse.

10. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I disagree. Competitveness varies from school to school, not only because of differences in grading (ie P/F, H/P/F, H/HP/P/F) but also because reputations select for certain types of students. Someone who is not at all competitive may shy away from applying to a school like Hopkins that has a reputation for competition.

It's not just about placing top students in a single class at a med school. Compare Harvard and Hopkins, the top two schools in the country (US News), for instance. At my interviews, I found Harvard to be extremely cooperative and Hopkins to be a bit competitive. At Harvard, there were tons of study groups whereas at Hopkins there was a lot more solitary study and not much interaction between studying students. These are just my individual observations, but I definitely saw a significant difference between these two schools. Have others had similar experiences?

11. aumed22

aumed22 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

This is all great feedback, thanks for posting. So does anyone know if Hopkins ranks their students, or do many students end up failing tests because of the curve?

12. wowzer

wowzer daaaaaamn homie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    much of the "competitive nature" you have heard of actually comes from the undergrad pre-med programs.