Hopkins Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, i JUST got the hopkins secondary even though it was post-marked OVER A MONTH AGO!!! wtf? anyway, i rushed to fill it out in pen and then i noticed that the instructions say to TYPE the answers. okay, the short answers i didn't write in, i'll type those, but what about the rest of the application? did any of you guys hand write the rest (ie. name, school, etc.)?

please tell me i dont have to request another application

Members don't see this ad.

I typed it all, but I don't think it will be a big deal that you used pen - especially since you are gonna type the short answer parts. I wouldn't worry about it - but if it will bother you, and you'll worry about it at night, you should request another one. :p

anyone else???

Members don't see this ad :)
I should just send you my secondary since I won't be using it. LOL

That's a good question!
How are we supposed to 'type' the answers anyway? Stick the pages in a typewriter? I haven't seen those things for years. How about pasting peices of computer print-outs onto the app?

I pasted from computer print outs too. I don't think the adcoms review the actual application so they probably get photocopies? Mebbe it won't look as unprofessional?

I typed absolutely everything. The adcoms are behind as it is, and I don't want anyone annoyed with my handwriting. This subject was discussed exhaustively way back when, and the concensus was beg, borrow or steal a typewriter.

I didnt have a typewriter at the time I was filling out the app, so I just carefully wrote my responses by hand.

It didnt stop me from getting an interview, but then again I'm applying MSTP so the admissions process is completely separate from the normal MD admissions. I havent been accepted yet either so who knows if if affected my app or not.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to ask us to type them, but I've found a way around it, but you have to be a bit computer savy.

1) Scan it in as an 8.5 x 11 JPG
2) go to MS Word (I'm using Word 2000)
3) Create a text box (Insert | Text Box)
4) Right-click the text box and select "Format Text Box"
5) Click on "Fill | Color", then "Fill Effects"
6) Select the "picure" tab and find your picture using "Select Picture"
7) OK, OK, back to the document.
8) Resize the textbox to fill the whole page.
9) Voila, use other textboxes on top of the application, and print it out w/out the background.

Just a disclaimer, it takes a bit of doing to get it to line up correctly, so test, test, test. I take no responsibility for messed up applications. :)

Basically it took me a wonderful 4 hours or so to complete it using a typewriter. The worst thing was that as I got to the end of the paper, the app would slip and the words would begin to slope. So I had to type via computer the last paragraph, print and cut and paste it onto the application. I'm wondering if I went over the limit since I that pasted paragraph covered the page number. :eek: Oh well...that was my last secondary. yippie! :D

this summer I went on ebay and for the very reasonable price of $11.99 I won a typewriter that probably cost $200 when it came out in the late 80s, it's electric, with all the autocorrect business, anyways another $17 for shipping, and for $30 I had my typewriter in about 4 days. I highly recommend it.

Call your school and see if they have any typewriters. I found an old one in the career center (it actually hums when you turn it on). It didn't have a correct key, but I just used my creative white-out skills!

I purchased a new Brother electric w/ auto correct for $99. Couldn't believe they were even sold anymore, but in fact, they are at any office supply store. (Office Max, Staples, etc)

hehehe...u people are such keeners stressing over that stupid typing thing. I just wrote the stuff by hand and then cut and pasted the short essay questions from a computer hardcopy. I got an interview. Who really gives a damn how u fill it out. u think they throw ur app in the trash because u couldn't find some old typwriter?

Yep - they can afford to

You can do it all using word. You just have to kinda guess how far down or how far over a line should be. Then print it out, and hold it up behind the secondary and make sure everything lines up (I find that the computer monitor works great as a lightbox). Then you just put the actual secondary in your printer and print. It's a little nerve wracking but it works. It's how I've done everything. It definitely takes a little while, but not that long. If you're really nervous you can make photocopies of the stuff and use those for test sheets.

I did that for a bunch of them. I'm pretty much done now though, only have Stanford left and that's electronic and it's almost done too. Woohoo!

Good luck,

Adam