1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hopkins v. UCSF

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kokonut, Mar 21, 2004.

1. kokonut

kokonut Member
    7+ Year Member

Any thoughts? (if you're annoyed, sorry! please don't flame) :(

1) Does anyone have any idea what the tuition difference will be?

2) Not counting prestige, how much difference will this make on residency matching, academic medicine, etc. etc.?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

IMO, GW is the best option here.

Also, not to be repetitive, but you should start another thread in the lounge on this.

Also, not to be repetitive, but you should start another thread in the lounge on this.

4. klooless

klooless Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think I recall that Hopkins is slightly under $51 for the first couple years. UCSF's pricetag eludes me as of now.

gluck!

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

what state do you want to be in? what kind of doc do you want to be?

6. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Both Hopkins and UCSF's hospitals are well-rounded in all the major specialty areas, but UCSF is stronger in primary care.

UCSF's on a P/F or H/P/F system (I'm not sure which), but Hopkins' system essentially remains graded even though they don't call the grades ABCDF. This is probably not a big issue to some people, cause when you think about it, even if you do around average at Hopkins, you still have good chance at competitive residency.

7. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if hopkins is around 51K

and ucsf potentially around 28K...

thats a big difference...(even if you are out of state...you can get instate status following their instructions...)

and as for matching and academic medicine...both will definitely get you in to the top places in the nation...ucsf and hopkins are two of the top schools in the US. You cant go wrong here.

8. ForceField

ForceField Impervious
    7+ Year Member

If you're paying instate tuition at UCSF, you should definitely go there. I spent a summer at Hopkins Med School and I absolutely hated it. Didn't like the city, didn't even like the school much. Just my opinion though, but yeah, if you're instate, save your money.

9. klooless

klooless Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

clarification: $51,000 is the total budget, including living expenses, etc.

10. kokonut

kokonut Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Jlee -- I think Hopkins is $51k counting all living expenses. The actual tuition is in the low $30s, if I recall correctly. Is UCSF tuition really going to be $28,000 next year?? That wasn't including living expenses right? That would make its cost virtually the same as Hopkins.

docmemi -- I'm open to ending up on either coast. I could potentially see myself going for competitive residencies like ENT or optho. I'm also pretty interested in working in international health, which I've heard Hopkins might have a stronger name for ...