Hopkins v. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kokonut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts? (if you're annoyed, sorry! please don't flame) :(

1) Does anyone have any idea what the tuition difference will be?

2) Not counting prestige, how much difference will this make on residency matching, academic medicine, etc. etc.?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, GW is the best option here.

Also, not to be repetitive, but you should start another thread in the lounge on this.

Also, not to be repetitive, but you should start another thread in the lounge on this.

i think I recall that Hopkins is slightly under $51 for the first couple years. UCSF's pricetag eludes me as of now.

gluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
what state do you want to be in? what kind of doc do you want to be?

Both Hopkins and UCSF's hospitals are well-rounded in all the major specialty areas, but UCSF is stronger in primary care.

UCSF's on a P/F or H/P/F system (I'm not sure which), but Hopkins' system essentially remains graded even though they don't call the grades ABCDF. This is probably not a big issue to some people, cause when you think about it, even if you do around average at Hopkins, you still have good chance at competitive residency.

if hopkins is around 51K

and ucsf potentially around 28K...

thats a big difference...(even if you are out of state...you can get instate status following their instructions...)

and as for matching and academic medicine...both will definitely get you in to the top places in the nation...ucsf and hopkins are two of the top schools in the US. You cant go wrong here.

If you're paying instate tuition at UCSF, you should definitely go there. I spent a summer at Hopkins Med School and I absolutely hated it. Didn't like the city, didn't even like the school much. Just my opinion though, but yeah, if you're instate, save your money.

clarification: $51,000 is the total budget, including living expenses, etc.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Jlee -- I think Hopkins is $51k counting all living expenses. The actual tuition is in the low $30s, if I recall correctly. Is UCSF tuition really going to be $28,000 next year?? That wasn't including living expenses right? That would make its cost virtually the same as Hopkins.

docmemi -- I'm open to ending up on either coast. I could potentially see myself going for competitive residencies like ENT or optho. I'm also pretty interested in working in international health, which I've heard Hopkins might have a stronger name for ...