• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Hopkins v. UCSF

kokonut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2003
    Any thoughts? (if you're annoyed, sorry! please don't flame) :(

1) Does anyone have any idea what the tuition difference will be?

2) Not counting prestige, how much difference will this make on residency matching, academic medicine, etc. etc.?

Thanks!

JohnHolmes

Large Member
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 30, 2003
      IMO, GW is the best option here.

Also, not to be repetitive, but you should start another thread in the lounge on this.

Also, not to be repetitive, but you should start another thread in the lounge on this.

About the Ads

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Dec 14, 2003
        Both Hopkins and UCSF's hospitals are well-rounded in all the major specialty areas, but UCSF is stronger in primary care.

UCSF's on a P/F or H/P/F system (I'm not sure which), but Hopkins' system essentially remains graded even though they don't call the grades ABCDF. This is probably not a big issue to some people, cause when you think about it, even if you do around average at Hopkins, you still have good chance at competitive residency.

jlee9531

J,A,S
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Nov 25, 2002
        CA
        fantasysports.yahoo.com
        1. Attending Physician
          if hopkins is around 51K

and ucsf potentially around 28K...

thats a big difference...(even if you are out of state...you can get instate status following their instructions...)

and as for matching and academic medicine...both will definitely get you in to the top places in the nation...ucsf and hopkins are two of the top schools in the US. You cant go wrong here.

ForceField

Impervious
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Aug 24, 2002
            If you're paying instate tuition at UCSF, you should definitely go there. I spent a summer at Hopkins Med School and I absolutely hated it. Didn't like the city, didn't even like the school much. Just my opinion though, but yeah, if you're instate, save your money.

kokonut

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Nov 24, 2003
              Thanks for the responses everyone!

Jlee -- I think Hopkins is $51k counting all living expenses. The actual tuition is in the low $30s, if I recall correctly. Is UCSF tuition really going to be $28,000 next year?? That wasn't including living expenses right? That would make its cost virtually the same as Hopkins.

docmemi -- I'm open to ending up on either coast. I could potentially see myself going for competitive residencies like ENT or optho. I'm also pretty interested in working in international health, which I've heard Hopkins might have a stronger name for ...

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.