1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hopkins Waitlist Tier

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Staples, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Staples

Staples Junior Member

Dear all,

I am writing to inquire whether any of you have been notified by email or letter of your waitlist ranking at Hopkins. Tiers were supposed to be sent by mid to late April.

Thank you for responding. I wish the best of luck to those still waiting.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cuteasaurus

Cuteasaurus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nope, I have not heard yet what tier I'm on. I suspect it'll be soon though. Does anyone know if we're notified by letter? E-mail? :luck: Good luck everyone! :)

4. Elizabeth1028

Elizabeth1028 busy busy bee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nope, I haven't heard anything either. I have no idea how we're supposed to be notified. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything.

Good luck to all! :luck:

5. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

ok, so i called last week and the lady on the phone said, "didn't u read your letter, it said mid-April, that means April 15th, that's when everything will be sent out."
    and she said it in a really snippy way. but as of yet i haven't gotten anything, so obviously they haven't been sent out yet

i read in one of the other threads that someone else had been told april 15th too

6. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't gotten anything either. They told us the tiering was just done in two tiers, the upper/middle and lower. Some people on SDN have reported that their "waitlist" letters after their interview (in november, december or what have you) already indicated they were bottom tier....does that mean everyone else is just gonna get some vague response?

JH

7. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok my letter doesn't say anything about April 15th. Mine says "your position on the alternate list will be determined by the end of April 2004." Do other letters say the 15th?
    As far as the number of tiers...if you're not accepted (but you got an interview) then you get placed in one of two categories originally: alternate list and further info or bottom of alt list and no further info. If you get an alt list letter that says you're still being considered then you'll later get a letter indicating your tier. There are three tiers. Is that the info everyone else got as well?
    I don't know how long it takes to make decisions, but I bet we'll hear by the end of the month. Good luck! :luck:

8. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Btw- how big is the waitlist? Does anyone know?

9. thewebthsp

thewebthsp Shoobeedoowap
    10+ Year Member

From several threads I saw in search, the first WL letters are rejections (bottom tier), followed by upper tier letters (30-50% get in), followed by middle tier (rejection).

10. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

Why didn't they just put April 15th then? Mid-April is vague and could be anywhere from April 10-20th. I would have been quick to point this fact out to that lady. It's not as if she has the power to reject you.

11. NikkiFSU

NikkiFSU Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Alright I haven't applied yet, I'm a sophie and just took the (UUUGGHH) MCAT, so I don't really know much about the different schools' waitlist procedures. So Hopkins has three waitlists? Damn....none of their stats were in the MSAR....does anyone know average MCAT/GPA numbers?

12. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

Hopkins Waitlist = Number of applicants interviewed - Outright Acceptances Offer - Applicants who Withdraw from the Waitlist

~ 500 or so long...

JH

13. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, let me clarify: when I say "waitlist" I'm not including those who are "rejected" post-interview. Instead, waitlist means those who got the waitlist letter and are waiting for their tier... so I guess in other words, does anyone know how many post-interview rejections there are?

14. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, I think I've answered my own question: threads from other years seem to indicate that the mid and up tiers are about 90 ppl each. So, 33-66% of up tier get in. Good luck all! If you've made it this far you stand a good chance :) :luck:

15. Staples

Staples Junior Member

I am writing again with the hopes of finding out whether any of you have been notified of your tier ranking.

Late April is swiftly approaching...

16. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

last year, i think they heard around the 25th or so, last week of april
    so...keeping fingers crossed for all of us

17. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I spoke with the admissions people yesterday morning and they told me that the waitlist letters went out yesterday.

I received my waitlist tier this afternoon. Upper tier :)

I am writing from Baltimore...

Best of luck to everyone waiting!

18. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

No one is rejected from Hopkins post-interview.

JH

19. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I understand that no one is actually rejected. However, some ppl get "bottom tier" letters which are in practice rejections, even if they aren't in name. Since ppl who get that letter don't get further communcation from Hopkins, they're not really "waitlisted." So, I was just asking how many ppl get those letters. However, it's moot at this point. ;)

Goos luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

20. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

The practice at Hopkins, from my understanding, is that there are two tiers, "upper/middle" and "lower". They only tell you which of the two you are on. I was also under the impression that the "wait list" letter you get from them after your interview is worded differently depending on the place on the waitlist you will be placed on. In essence, I will be shocked if people find out they are on the upper/middle and believed they were lower or vice versa. This, at least, was what I was told on my interview day....

JH

21. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

BigB,

Good luck on Hopkins dude. I called you the King of the waitlists earlier. But even the King has got to come off it at some point. ;)

BTW, are you SURE you wanna stay in Baltimore for another 4 years. I know how strong Hopkins' program is ...

JH

22. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I emailed the Assistant Dean of Admissions about the waitlist tiers sometime ago and he told me the following:

"The waitlist isn't ranked until after we have gone through the entire committee meetings, which will be done in April. You will hear from us soon after about whether you are in the upper or middle part of the list (we know that you are not on the lower list, or you would have been released already)."

23. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I'm on 5 waitlists right now, so I figure that the odds are in my favor for getting into at least one of those schools.

Actually, I have been living in Baltimore for practically all of my life. Believe it or not, I actually love Baltimore! And I usually get very defensive when people take shots at my city.

In working at Hopkins hospital for 3+ years, I have found that JHH is truly an amazing place to learn the practice of medicine. I also have a lot of non-medically related things going on here in Baltimore that I would like to keep up.

24. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Based on previous mailings from Hopkins, I don't expect to hear until Weds. However, if you hear before then, feel free to post. I'm rooting for all of you! :D Good luck! :luck:

Congrads bigbaubdi! That's awesome! Have you talked to anyone about your "chances" now that you're on the list?

25. traumamonkey

traumamonkey mid-level resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

CONGRATS Bigbaubdi! upper tier is great!
    ...and good luck on climbing off the waitlists, wherever you'd prefer to end up.
    perhaps i'll see you in baltimore (from the other side of town...at least UMSOM wants me, even if JH doesn't!)

26. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Guess what?!? My letter came early...upper list for me! :D This is the best day ever!

27. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Cuteasaurus, that is awesome!!!

Hopefully both of us will be at Hopkins this fall!!

28. ice_23

ice_23 Economics Monster
    7+ Year Member

Any idea as to how many people they put on the upper tier versus the middle tier? (i.e. do they go through all their upper tiers?)

-Ice

29. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

congrats cuteasaurus and bigbaudi....i'm on the list with u guys! finally, something exciting in the mail

30. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Awesome man. I too hadn't received any good snail mail for awhile.

I called the admissions office today and they said that they had to dip into the second tier of the waitlist last year because so many people withdrew their acceptances. Let us hope that this year's waitlist acts like last year's and all 3 of us will definitely get in!

31. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

amen to that

32. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had read somewhere that tiers were 90 ppl. However, if they had to dip into the middle tier last year, then that wouldn't make sense. I'll see if I can't call them tomorrow and find out how big the list it. Congrads rCubed! Anyone else? :)

33. ice_23

ice_23 Economics Monster
    7+ Year Member

I have a feeling that the upper tier is substantially smaller than the lower tier. That's how they dipped into the middle tier list last year (I think they took 38 people last year off of the waitlist, so I'd assume the upper tier was like 30 or 35 people).

Congrats to you all who made the upper tier!

-Ice

34. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Previous years' threads indicated wlt movement of 30-60. Has anyone else heard that? *sigh* I wish the info was consistent. I guess I'll just have to ask them tomorrow.

On the topic of waitlists...the letter says "letters of rec and other documents are not required" or something like that. Does that mean they don't want them? Our are positions already determined and that's why further info isn't needed? Anyway, just wondering...

Maybe we'll all meet in the fall... :)

35. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I asked about that...The admissions staff person said that the admissions committee MIGHT take a look at additional LORs after June 1. Acceptances off the waitlist will only occur after June 1 according to the admissions staff person.

Patience is a virtue...

36. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Awesome! Then, I'll just wait. :) It sounds like we're in a pretty good position.

Thanks for the info!

37. dr.lilee

dr.lilee Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone have any more info? Or can any Hopkins med students comment on the waitlist size and movement?

38. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, I called them today and got the same "we took everyone on the upper tier last year" reply. When I asked how many ppl what was, she "couldn't recall." So, they don't seem to want to tell us how big the upper tier is. If someone knew how many of the first year class came from the waitlist last year (I'd heard around 60), then I guess we could figure it out, but in any case...do we have other SDNers on the upper tier? :)

Edit: Ok, Ice mentioned that maybe they took around 38 off the waitlist last year...

39. viking1224

viking1224 Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got a letter yesterday putting me on the upper tier. It's taking my brain a little while to get back into Hopkins mode (having been wl'ed in November, I forgot all about it). It was an awesome place! It's too bad we won't be able to go to the revisit weekend, since we won't get the final word until this summer. Still, congrats and good luck to upper tier folks, it looks like we have a good shot! :)

viking

40. rackd8ball

rackd8ball Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys,

if i remember correctly from interview date, they accepted 170 off the bat for a class of 120. they ended up taking 30ish off the WL to fill out the class. good luck to those in the upper tier! the place is awesome, yall should come if you do make it.

steve

41. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I get in, I'm totally there...actually come to think of it I may go out to Baltimore anyway and whimper on the Adcom's doorstep... ;)

42. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Any other SDNers get their tier letters? Bump!

43. Bendrix

Bendrix Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm also seated in the upper tier. My big question now: does the middle tier really exist?

44. Bendrix

Bendrix Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Out of curiosity, what are your guy's May 15 holds going to be? Mine is NYU, and I'm trying to sort out how important living in New York is to me.

45. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

i was wondering the same thing, but checking last year's thread some ppl from SDN were placed on it. maybe this year's SDNers had better luck at the application process

46. lyragrl

lyragrl Mold-a-rama fan
    7+ Year Member

It does. I'm on it. But I'm going to withdraw since the current options I have are confusing enough already.

47. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

just a quick question...do any of u know if we're allowed to defer if accepted off the waitlist

48. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dean White said no (to defer. off the waitlist) when when we interviewed....

49. BenzML320

BenzML320 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm also upper tier. Maybe I'll see ya'll in the Fall.

50. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    BenzML320, Ice_23, rCubed, jaycee, viking1224, dr. lilee, bigbaubdi, Cuteasaurus....anyone else? That's 8 ppl (sorry if I made a mistake, I just skimmed the thread quickly). If the upper tier is really 30-ish ppl then that would mean approx 33% of the tier used SDN. Wow, that's kinda neat... :)

51. Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I won't be holding a med school...I'll either get into Hopkins or I'll start some public health school (since I plan to do both anyway). :)