Horrid uGPA. Long Long Time Ago....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snwburton2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So recently someone revealed to me that DO schools have recently adopted a grade replacement policy for the AACOMAS. As medicine has always been my fascination, even while my UG career went haywire, I've recently become quite inspired with this new info.

So where I find myself is at a point where a decision needs to be made; either I begin to retake old classes and prep myself for a proper app...or I don't.

Before I get to numbers just let me be clear:
a. my UG experience was truly horrid.
b. there are family reasons why it was that could be easily explained in entrance essays. There were drugs, abuse, suicides; you name it. None of it me, just to be clear.

c. I am 15 years out of college. I've been a private school educator during that time, teaching every honors and AP science that ever existed. I've completed a masters degree (in Ed) and most recently won a fellowship for a STEM integration program that I created and am currently implementing in my state.

Ok. My strategy.

I would take classes for at least one year (retakes) at local CCs and 4y institutions depending on which schools offered the retakes I need. Essentially I think I would need to retake anywhere from 7 to 11 classes. I would continue to take classes and applying (also volunteering / clinical time) until I was accepted.

I've broken each class set of retakes down by semester and what it would do to my AACOMAS gpa. Yes I understand that the admissions board could see my original horrid GPA.

After 1 semester of retakes (3 classes):
nonsci: 3.21
sci: 2.31 (yes I know)
cum: 2.80

After 2nd semester of retakes (6 classes retaken):
sci: 2.70
cum: 2.90

After 3rd semester of retakes (9 classes):
sci: 3.34
cum: 3.27

After 4th set (basically just 2 labs only)
nonsci: 3.32
sci: 3.46
cum: 3.38

This assumes basically straight A's in all courses. If I couldn't pull that this go around then I'd accept I'm not cut out for medicine.

If I were to do all this do you think I'd have a snowballs chance of getting accepted to the likes of PCOM / UMDNJSOM / RowanSOM (newish)?

Is this all worth my time to try?

note: i'm not looking to explain why this is important to me; that's a conversation for another thread. Purpose here is to find out if I were to do all this, would they even accept me assuming a fair MCAT.

note2: In 1999 I did take the MCAT. Bad focus = bad scores (21 i think?) but I remember I scored an R in writing. I practiced on long-winded forum board posts.

Thank you so much in advance for reading all this and responding. I want to say that this has always been a dream of mine to become a medical doctor. But dreams are for kids. I'm ready for the reality if the profession has a place for me.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, after you do your re-takes, you'll be competitive. Re-taking those courses will also prepare you for MCAT. But only you can decide if this path is for you. Medicine is a calling; what does your heart tell you?

So recently someone revealed to me that DO schools have recently adopted a grade replacement policy for the AACOMAS. As medicine has always been my fascination, even while my UG career went haywire, I've recently become quite inspired with this new info.

So where I find myself is at a point where a decision needs to be made; either I begin to retake old classes and prep myself for a proper app...or I don't.

Before I get to numbers just let me be clear:
a. my UG experience was truly horrid.
b. there are family reasons why it was that could be easily explained in entrance essays. There were drugs, abuse, suicides; you name it. None of it me, just to be clear.

c. I am 15 years out of college. I've been a private school educator during that time, teaching every honors and AP science that ever existed. I've completed a masters degree (in Ed) and most recently won a fellowship for a STEM integration program that I created and am currently implementing in my state.

Ok. My strategy.

I would take classes for at least one year (retakes) at local CCs and 4y institutions depending on which schools offered the retakes I need. Essentially I think I would need to retake anywhere from 7 to 11 classes. I would continue to take classes and applying (also volunteering / clinical time) until I was accepted.

I've broken each class set of retakes down by semester and what it would do to my AACOMAS gpa. Yes I understand that the admissions board could see my original horrid GPA.

After 1 semester of retakes (3 classes):
sci: 2.31 (yes I know)
cum: 2.80

After 2nd semester of retakes (6 classes retaken):
sci: 2.70
cum: 2.90

After 3rd semester of retakes (9 classes):
sci: 3.34
cum: 3.27

After 4th set (basically just 2 labs only)
nonsci: 3.32
sci: 3.46
cum: 3.38

This assumes basically straight A's in all courses. If I couldn't pull that this go around then I'd accept I'm not cut out for medicine.

If I were to do all this do you think I'd have a snowballs chance of getting accepted to the likes of PCOM / UMDNJSOM / RowanSOM (newish)?

Is this all worth my time to try?

Thank you!

With the retakes, it could happen.

By the way, Rowan is not new. It's just UMDNJ with a different name.

If I couldn't pull that this go around then I'd accept I'm not cut out for medicine.

Try to avoid this mentality. I understand you want to be realistic but if you want to be a doctor that badly, don't get upset if you get a B in one class.

Otherwise, with drive like yours and proper preparation for the MCAT you will easily be competitive for DO schools. Your experiences make you more qualified at this point than the vast majority of undergraduates applying to med school right after graduating (including myself)!