Horror Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benbeme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent approximately 5 months studying for the MCAT (although the first 3 were mostly spent learning physics for the first time...long story). I registered to take the test on Sept 4, calculating this would give me just enough time to thoroughly review. I was quite prepared and was averaging in the upper 30's on almost all the FL AMCAS tests. Because of my rather late test date I sent all my applications off, 15 total, contingent on my forthcoming MCAT score. Long story short, when I went to take the test I was told the name I registered under, Ben, was inconsistent with my "government issued ID" name, Benjamin. They wouldn't let me test. I calmed myself down and asked if I could register for the Sep. 10 test date. I was told there is a 48 hour lock on any account recently scheduled to take an MCAT. Realizing 48 hours from the 4th would put me 24 hours past the deadline to register for the Sep. 10 test date, I lost it.... Not only had I just lost over $3,000 ($225 test reg. fee, $900 primary apps, $1500 secondary apps and time off work), but I had to wait until January to take the test and another year to apply. I learned my lesson....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Benbeme!

I'm sorry also to hear that BUT you know there's always a bright side! Since, you've already submitted the primary app through AMCAS it'll still be there next year (so, you can just press submit June 1st after adding anything you do this year). That's another point, this gives you time to do some more things (i.e. medically-related volunteering, physician shadowing, research, take some more science classes etc.) that perhaps you wish you'd done more of. Also, since your primary app is already at those schools you could write a letter to each school perhaps explaining the situation asking that they evaluate you where your app stands now in lieu of an MCAT score and any additional grades/activities/etc. They can perhaps give you a few suggestions, if necesscary for you, to do while in this year off that give you an even greater shot at their particular school. Just consider yourself ahead of the game for AMCAS 2010...and we all know the earlier you submit AMCAS the better!!! Perhaps by this time next year you'll be in somewhere, and look back on this and laugh!!! Best wishes to you in your endeavors!

Wow, that sucks! I don't think I could ever laugh about bureaucratic hardheadedness costing me $3000 plus another month of studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks the big one but good for you for, as you say, "learning your lesson," rather than crying about it or blaming someone. That really blows, though.

Hey Benbeme!

I'm sorry also to hear that BUT you know there's always a bright side! Since, you've already submitted the primary app through AMCAS it'll still be there next year (so, you can just press submit June 1st after adding anything you do this year). That's another point, this gives you time to do some more things (i.e. medically-related volunteering, physician shadowing, research, take some more science classes etc.) that perhaps you wish you'd done more of. Also, since your primary app is already at those schools you could write a letter to each school perhaps explaining the situation asking that they evaluate you where your app stands now in lieu of an MCAT score and any additional grades/activities/etc. They can perhaps give you a few suggestions, if necesscary for you, to do while in this year off that give you an even greater shot at their particular school. Just consider yourself ahead of the game for AMCAS 2010...and we all know the earlier you submit AMCAS the better!!! Perhaps by this time next year you'll be in somewhere, and look back on this and laugh!!! Best wishes to you in your endeavors!

Sage advice.

That is pretty rough..
Sorry, I'm not trying to make a joke about your situation, but there was another guy also on here a couple of weeks ago saying another horror story about his MCAT experience (too humid, unprofessional staff, etc). It was his first post also on SDN, as it is yours. I'm sure your story is legit, but it's just interesting how all these people have a bad experience with the MCAT, and then all of a sudden feel the urge to register a username on SDN and tell the world.

Maybe it's a way to rant, like stress relief? Anyway, best of luck! I'm sure you're going to kick it in January!

That is pretty rough..
Sorry, I'm not trying to make a joke about your situation, but there was another guy also on here a couple of weeks ago saying another horror story about his MCAT experience (too humid, unprofessional staff, etc). It was his first post also on SDN, as it is yours. I'm sure your story is legit, but it's just interesting how all these people have a bad experience with the MCAT, and then all of a sudden feel the urge to register a username on SDN and tell the world.

Maybe it's a way to rant, like stress relief? Anyway, best of luck! I'm sure you're going to kick it in January!

My first post was about my MCAT experience. It was the first time I felt like I had something interesting/useful to contribute, and it was great stress relief! Felt way better.

That is pretty rough..

cathartic experience. Sometimes I post "fml" stories online just to see if other people have had similar experiences.

but i think rather than the cost invested in apps (i mean, they're relatively small compared to tuition costs) i would be more irritated about the additional 5 months having to remember all this stuff about sciences, especially if you have other classes going on. Good luck to the TS

Dang, sorry to hear that, but I employed a different strategy to safeguard against something like that this year. It has many advantages.

Don't send out primaries until AFTER or at least very close to being verified! You'll receive most of your secondaries quickly afterward. Your primaries won't be truly sent out until after you're verified, so why assign the schools so early? Your secondary won't be complete with your new MCAT score anyway, so why bother sending them in early? If you're like me and spend a LOT of time on secondaries, then apply to the schools in waves instead of adding every single school you want to apply at one time. Else, you'll be overwhelmed by the number of secondaries and a lot of schools don't like it if you take more than a couple of weeks to complete their secondaries.

a lot of DO schools take january MCATS if you dont mind taking COMLEX+USMLE...