Unlikely success stories, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhsomanyquestions

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wondering if there is anyone on here who thought they had slim chances for an MD program and ended up succeeding in the end. I could use an uplifting story or two at this current juncture, feeling a little discouraged atm.

Members don't see this ad.

ORM, applied to MD schools going into my senior year in college with a 3.27/3.24 GPA/sGPA + a 517 (130/125/131/131) MCAT. Got two IIs, didn't get an A.

After senior year, my GPA went up a little bit to a 3.31/3.34. I did a formal post-bac program after graduating and applied again (which most people advised against, they said I should wait until I finished the post-bac until I reapply) but I thought it would be worthwhile to apply to 10 of my top choice (MD) schools. Well, I got two interviews that led to two WLs which led to one acceptance (withdrew from the other) and now I'm starting medical school in a week at one of my top choices with a GPA more than two standard deviations below the average.

The rest of my app was incredibly average (above average rec letters, zero community service, 3 yrs research but no publications, ~50 shadowing hours, ~150 clinical volunteering).

I don't have some insightful advice I can give, but many people, including people on SDN, told me that I should just apply DO or wait another year to reapply. It ended up working out.

All I can say is find what's wrong with your app and improve on it. If it's your GPA, do a post-bac or SMP. If it's your MCAT, retake your MCAT.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
ORM, applied to MD schools going into my senior year in college with a 3.27/3.24 GPA/sGPA + a 517 (130/125/131/131) MCAT. Got two IIs, didn't get an A.

After senior year, my GPA went up a little bit to a 3.31/3.34. I did a formal post-bac program after graduating and applied again (which most people advised against, they said I should wait until I finished the post-bac until I reapply) but I thought it would be worthwhile to apply to 10 of my top choice (MD) schools. Well, I got two interviews that led to two WLs which led to one acceptance (withdrew from the other) and now I'm starting medical school in a week at one of my top choices with a GPA more than two standard deviations below the average.

The rest of my app was incredibly average (above average rec letters, zero community service, 3 yrs research but no publications, ~50 shadowing hours, ~150 clinical volunteering).

I don't have some insightful advice I can give, but many people, including people on SDN, told me that I should just apply DO or wait another year to reapply. It ended up working out.

All I can say is find what's wrong with your app and improve on it. If it's your GPA, do a post-bac or SMP. If it's your MCAT, retake your MCAT.
Congrats, that's amazing! Best of luck next week!

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats! Was a “fit thing” where your background fit the school’s mission perfectly?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Was a “fit thing” where your background fit the school’s mission perfectly?

Honestly, it's really hard for me to say. I've noticed that a lot of the mid/low-tier MD schools have similar goals of creating great clinicians (with sprinkles of research, leadership, etc.) so in this aspect, I think I matched, but not moreso than any of my other top choices. I chose the 10 schools to apply to based on location, cost of attendance, and how happy the students seem.

I think one of the big things I did that may have swung the adcom's decision in my favor was just staying in touch with them. I sent frequent grade updates, and received the II to the school I'll be matriculating to about 3 days after I sent my Fall semester grades in (which was luckily a 4.0). I sent a letter of intent and stayed in constant communication with the admissions office via phone. I was probably just walking the line between dedicated/annoying.