Horse ownership in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

light10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I know there are a lot of equine folks here :D.

I was just wondering what everyone's views were on having horses in vet school? Do any vet students out there: ride seriously? Have horses, appreciate the grooming/occasional hack/stress relief side? Have horses and constantly regret the expensive/lack of time to devote to them? Go from major horse involvement to nothing in vet school? (I'll admit that prospect scares the crap out of me!)

I, like I imagine many of you here, rode and competed seriously all through undergrad, and even more seriously during my grad program (and I work at horse shows most weekends in the summer). I have an older mare who will likely stay at the awesome retirement place she's currently at (very cheap, with management I trust). Then I have a younger gelding who was SUPPOSED to be a re-sale project when I went to vet school, but he's working out to be everything I ever dreamed of in a horse and far surpassing my expectations. Trying to decide if I should follow through and sell him or keep him. He'd also be an easy horse to lease out should I need/want to in the future.

Very curious to hear how other people have thought through their horse situation/dealt with the changes vet school brought.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got two pony critters and am fortunate enough that they live in my parents' backyard and my parents have been taking care of them for me while I'm in college. I competed seriously all through high school, lightly my first two years of undergrad (while I was still at home) and not really at all since I've been away at school. It will probably be even less once vet school starts. My girls are getting older (one is 22 and the other is 13) so they don't mind the break. Two high school girls are using them for 4-H this summer, so they aren't just sitting there like bumps on a log.

I have kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to be happy just having horses and riding occasionally for the next several years. Once I'm a vet and have established myself I'll probably get a new horse ('cause my girls definitely won't be in their prime by then) and start showing again in my "spare time." It's sad going from being really competitive and a serious rider to someone who just occasionally rides and doesn't have that edge anymore, but my horses are happy and healthy and well cared for and that's what's most important to me. Plus-showing is too dang expensive!

I brought my mare with me and I am sincerely glad that I did. It is a wonderful way to unwind and relieve a lot of my stress, even if it is just for an hour or so. Plus, having her here makes me take a break from school because I feel guilty if I don't get out to see her :)

I'd say I ride about 4 times a week--but really, you can make time for just about anything you want if you manage your time well. Sometimes I get out more than that, sometimes I can only ride on the weekends--it really just all depends.

My suggestion would be to find a boarding place that is less than 15 min from where you're living because it is much more feasible to get out to ride more often if you don't have to spend a lot of time driving.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I brought both of my guys with me (not that there was a choice, really) and I've been able to get out to the barn fairly consistently all 4 years. Of course there were weeks that I didn't have the time or energy to go ride (midterms and finals mostly, plus a few times during clinics), but in general I've ridden at least 3 days a week. My boy tore his tendon sheath in the left hind last winter, so I spent most of last year rehabbing him - let me tell you how much fun THAT was during vet school (what was supposed to be my stress relief was more stressful than school!) He's doing pretty well now, though, and my girl is retired so she's living the good life :) I'm moving to Kansas in 2 months and they'll both be going with me while I'm an intern...hopefully I'll have some time to spend with them over the next year :eek::D

Obviously I can't speak to having a horse in vet school, but I've had horses all through undergrad - bought my first horse freshman year, ended up with 3 horses by senior year. I had 3 horses off campus, several part-time jobs, and a full class schedule. After undergrad, I've just got my one gelding who I compete heavily while I've been doing my pre-reqs and getting experience.

Long story short, I've taken my horse with me wherever I do. As long as I stay in the states, he's coming with. Obviously overseas is a different story, in which case does anyone want a crazy TB gelding for 5 years? :D

I'm not a horse person, but there are plenty in our class. I don't think any of them feel they get enough time with their horses (I don't feel like I get enough time with my dogs.) I've advised folks to not get a horse going into vet school (time, expense, etc), but if you already have one, that's a bit of a harder decision.

I'd also consider the additional costs and how much you need to stock back for emergencies. We've had at least 4 horse emergencies in our class, none cheap. I cringed paying out hundreds to deal with a dog emergency, and the numbers I heard for the horses would have blown my budget for the year. But, I have a feeling if I had a horse that really suited me, I'd be bringing it along.

I know I'm not in vet school yet - but I have had veterinarians tell me pretty much what sumstorm said. If you already HAVE a horse and he doesn't need a 3 hour workout everyday but can handle being ridden 3-4 times a week, than it is worth bringing them with you.

I am EXTREMELY lucky because I will be living on a horse proprty with a covered arena while I am in vet school. My horse is mostly retired but still needs her brain to be worked 3x a week or she becomes TB from hades and starts killing people and inanimate objects....

What I struggled with originally was having to take out MORE loans in order to keep an expensive and time consuming hobby. My horse is older and (mostly) lame, so I would not have been able to sell or give her away. When the choice became euthanasia or not - I was easily able to decide to keep her while in vet school!!!

Now that I found a place that is acres cheaper and I can work off my board for feeding in the mornings....It's totally worth it to have my big fury bundle of stress relief right with me!

Now I'm rambling - but I am just so excited about having my horse living with me. I will be able to look out my window and see my girl. SO EXCITED!!

A lot will probably depend on where you go to vet school. It takes a lot longer (and a lot more stress!) to get to any location w/ barns from Philadelphia than it does from Raleigh, for example.

That being said, I have several friends who have horses here with them, and who've managed to make it work!

Great feedback so far, thanks guys!

I'm totally relieved that some people manage to ride a bit in vet school, Roxy and McVille. That was one of my biggest worries in going to vet school - that I'd have give up riding - because when I've had to stop before (my first year of college) it totally threw my life-balance off and I was unhappy and way less productive. Now whether I bring current awesome pony or try to lease/find a ride part time. Hm.

Heylodeb, that is totally my ideal situation! I've been looking for horse farm rentals myself :). Will work for roof over my/pony's head!

And sumstorm, emergency fund is definitely an important point. I've actually had a healthy horse emergency fund since I was a teenager, because my stepdad always threatened to stop contributing to the horses for every minor infraction (if you're late for the school bus one more time, I'm going to sell the horse kind of things). I'm always shocked when people (who usually have nicer 'stuff' than me) can't handle a minor emergency ($1-3k) because, let's face it, that is going to happen sometime while you have a horse.

Last edited:
I have a horse (peep my avatar!). She's coming with me. Thankfully, horse expenses in MO are about the same/a little cheaper than they are here, so budgeting-wise, the horse bottom line shouldn't change. I've been lucky that all this mare does is have a ocassional lamenesses, but emergencies are a constant threat of pet ownership.

I don't get enough time with her now, and didn't all through undergrad. I crunched my undergrad into 3 years, and busted my tail for the best grades I could get. There were some months where the only time I saw her was to pay board. Does it suck? Yeah. Will it probably continue like this in vet school? Yeah. But that's a product of ME. It's how I operate, and I think a lot of people are different/can make more time for their horse.

I am resigning myself to the fact that I won't really ride for the next 4-6 years, but that's okay. She's a pretty steady girl who will probably be the same when I'm done, and ready to get back to work. That's what I hope, at least.

I am headed to Ross in September. I wish I could take at least one of my horses with me, but I don't think that possible. Its hard to leave them behind for over 2 years, but I am going to board them with trusted people so that I know they are safe. I am hoping to find someone to ride them occasionally. My one horse is turning 20 this year and I don't want him sitting for 2 year because at 22 he will be much harder to bring back. I have had him for 10 years now. He is my old show horse and my world. It don't know how I will do away from him, but this is my dream, so I will make it. I am a little worried about him since I have not gone more than a month without seeing him. I have been giving him his daily care for 3 years now. He is very attached to me. My BO told me he doesn't eat very well the first few days that I am gone and generally becomes depressed. I am sure he will get over it though.

Once back in the states, I will have him close to what ever vet school I end up doing my clinical time in. Even if its just a bareback ride for 5 mins a day it will be worth it.

I have been riding since I was 7 and I am now 26! This will be the longest I will go without riding! I ride pretty much everyday! Its gonna be a change, but hopefully I can find some place down there to go hop on and ride a bit on the weekends. Even a trail ride will help keep me sane! :)

The original plan was to sell my mare I currently have (because she's a good performance horse), but then the mare I was going to keep (because although I loved her, she had issues) died and I got really attached to this one......and so she's a keeper :). It's a shame because she's a fabulous performance horse and all the endurance vets I've talked to have said for me to give up any idea that I will be able to ride on a regular basis or do any sort of competing at all. I'm taking them at their word (and perhaps be pleasantly suprised that I do get to ride?) and will be keeping my mare in my parents pasture, ~20 minutes from where I'll be living.

I felt a bit guilty about her basically being retired, because although she's in her prime now for 100's, in 4-5 years she'll probably not be so much.....but then at our last 100, she incurred a soft tissue injury. She's going to be off/limited riding until the end of summer, at which point I'll have no time to ride. So if there's a silver lining to any of this, it's that I don't have the pressure to compete "one last time" this summer, and she'll be able to heal without the pressure of needing to compete in the next couple of years. The rehab will be done by the time I'm in school, and she'll be available for riding as I'm able. Also, now I don't have to feel guilty about a fabulous horse being semi-retired that should be on the trails competing - I was considering leasing options etc. She can just be my pocket pony and what comes, comes. Either I ride or a don't. Either way, I'll be happy just ot have her around.

I don't have any advice on whether people should or should not bring their horses to school with them. I went through undergrad without a horse, and I always told people if I got into vet school, I would do it with a horse. I think having a certain kind of horse helps. Farley is happy being ridden....or not. I can jump on her bareback and she's a perfect little pony even if I haven't done anything with her for 3 months. She's a joy to be around and goes jogging with me etc. She's also safe for beginners and I wouldn't hesitate to let my family ride her if they needed an extra horse for a trail ride etc. In short, she's the type of horse that doesn't mind sitting around (I was the one that felt bad for putting her out to pasture, she truly doesn't mind) and will eliminate stress, rather than creating it (which couldn't be said for my other mare - LOL, sometimes things have a way of working themselves out).

Question for people who have horses in vet school: how do you afford the board and keep? I was lucky enough to have been raised on a breeding farm so I have always been able to keep my horses in my backyard. I would occasionally board at a barn with an indoor over the winter but she was a family friend and gave us great deals. Do you pay for it out of loan money? Do you take a second job?

Unfortunately my gelding passed this past fall so I would need a new mount. I always knew I wanted my next horse to be a young Morgan that I could train from scratch. This will take a LOT of time so I am 99% positive it is a task I will not be able to take on for years. :(

Something that worked for me in undergrad when I was far from my own ponies and too broke to take lessons: I put an ad on craigslist saying I would be willing to exercise people's horses for free. I put my experience along with a couple of pictures of me riding. I got a HUGE response (and surprisingly all of them legit!) and ended up with a great arrangement with a sport pony barn that had more horses than riders. Of course you want to be extremely cautious when using craigslist (check validity of people, visit with friends etc.) but it worked out for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm keeping her at my parents, and just paying for feed. I have enough savings to pay for feed for 4 years if I needed to without using loan money, but I'm planning on using loan money for it - I'm not paying for rent, and so I figure that gas $+horse feed = rent and thus totally justifiable for loan money use.

I don't have much besides my horse in terms of luxury - don't go out to eat, don't see movies etc. If having a horse means I have to sacrifice everything over the next 4 years - so be it - it's worth it.

I considered buying the guy I ride/have ridden regularly for a couple of years now. Aside from the expense, I think I just won't have the time which I think would be unfair to him, especially with his potential (meaning that he isn't a retirement age sort of guy). I'm afraid I won't even have time to find a place to RIDE during vet school, but I'm determined to find a way to at least groom some ponies once a week during the school year and hope for something more.

Question for people who have horses in vet school: how do you afford the board and keep?

Divorced parents still saddled with guilt for ruining your life and are trying to make up for it with a pony. ;)

Okay, kidding, that actually sounds really dramatic and ridiculous, but I live in the midwest where boarding is fairly affordable, and I have generous parents who respected the horse as a high priority in my life and volunteered to support me in keeping her. I'm very lucky. :luck:

Divorced parents still saddled with guilt for ruining your life and are trying to make up for it with a pony. ;)

Okay, kidding, that actually sounds really dramatic and ridiculous, but I live in the midwest where boarding is fairly affordable, and I have generous parents who respected the horse as a high priority in my life and volunteered to support me in keeping her. I'm very lucky. :luck:

Same :laugh:

My mom would like me to sell my mare, but I am more than likely going to give her to a friend that can handle her. She is a very interesting and not in a good way horse. Has lots of quirks, but it very pretty! She is my avatar. I love her but she is 11 and still pretty green under saddle. She could wind up hurting someone if she got in the wrong hands. She is just Nala.

My gelding is my baby and my mom will help me support him through vet school because she know how important he is so me.:D

Question for people who have horses in vet school: how do you afford the board and keep?

Honestly, I looked for a cheaper place for myself to live so that I could then afford to still pay for board, vet and farrier bills myself. I suppose that any emergencies will have to come out of my student loans.

As for affording the horses, I worked to pay for everything they needed through the latter half of highschool and my first two years of college, so I'm fortunate enough that my parents are now willing to pay for grain, hay, bedding, and pay the high school girls to clean stalls and do upkeep on the barn. As for cutting costs in other areas, my girls are barefoot and I did a ton of research and taught myself how to trim their hooves myself so I don't have any farrier bills, and the vet I ride around with in the summer is usually generous enough to do pro bono shots and teeth floating for me because I bust my butt for him during the summer. Anything "extra" that they need (blankets, halters, other equipment) I ask for for Christmas from my grandparents.

:laugh: That's totally how I got my first horse as a kid, too.

As for affordability, I've supported my horse habit through undergrad and grad school. I never say no to an odd job! I've actually been able to make quite a bit by working at weekend horse shows in the summer and housesitting. I'm pretty much the official pet/house/farm sitter for the farm and many of the boarders at this point :). Perfect job for a student - live in a nicer place, hang out with pets, study and get paid for it! I also live very very cheaply (in 6 years, I've bought lunch less than 10 times, I have a fuel-efficient car, I walk to work, I cook for myself and only buy cheap raw ingredients, etc.). Anything for the horse habit ;). And, honestly, while I never took her up on it, it really helped mentally/stress-wise to have my mom say she'd back me up if I came up short in the first few months after I moved my girl out here and got my budget worked out (and got over how much more expensive horses are outside the midwest :eek:).

I'm going to second pretty much everything that's been said. I don't have as much time for my horse as I'd like, but I do manage to get to the barn to at least visit and brush him every single day. It's a wonderful stress relief, and even though it can also be stressful (he always manages to injure himself during my craziest weeks), I couldn't imagine not having him here with me. As for affording him, I'm very fortunate in that my parents give me some help with my own expenses, so I have a bit more money to work with in supporting him.

One new item that I'll add for anyone in/entering vet school with a horse, whether you bring them with you or leave them at home and continue to support them from afar... if you don't already have your horse insured, seriously consider it. My guy is 19 this year so my premium went up and I considered not renewing his policy as he's always been super healthy with no major injuries and I've never used his insurance in the 7 years I've had him. Something in me told me to renew it, and then LITERALLY on January 2nd (second day of the new policy), he sustained a humeral fracture from a kick in the paddock. I'm at least $1K deep in vet bills so far (would be A LOT more if it weren't for the student discount at Cornell and the empathy of my AMAZING vet who is a recent grad and knows the financial pain of having a horse in vet school), and this is not including his second trip to Cornell coming up in April and, pending how his recheck radiographs look, possibly surgery. If it weren't for insurance, I'm not sure he'd still be around. I did have an emergency fund, but that's totally gone now, and even though I have 2 jobs in the hospital at school I just don't work enough hours to make enough to keep up with the bills this injury is incurring. So that's my plug for insurance... it's worth it!!

One new item that I'll add for anyone in/entering vet school with a horse, whether you bring them with you or leave them at home and continue to support them from afar... if you don't already have your horse insured, seriously consider it. My guy is 19 this year so my premium went up and I considered not renewing his policy as he's always been super healthy with no major injuries and I've never used his insurance in the 7 years I've had him. Something in me told me to renew it, and then LITERALLY on January 2nd (second day of the new policy), he sustained a humeral fracture from a kick in the paddock. I'm at least $1K deep in vet bills so far (would be A LOT more if it weren't for the student discount at Cornell and the empathy of my AMAZING vet who is a recent grad and knows the financial pain of having a horse in vet school), and this is not including his second trip to Cornell coming up in April and, pending how his recheck radiographs look, possibly surgery. If it weren't for insurance, I'm not sure he'd still be around. I did have an emergency fund, but that's totally gone now, and even though I have 2 jobs in the hospital at school I just don't work enough hours to make enough to keep up with the bills this injury is incurring. So that's my plug for insurance... it's worth it!!

Just went though this with my horse. We dropped how much he was insured, but still kept the insurance. Thankfully he is still healthy, but insurance can be a life saver!

I hope your boy heals well!

I have a horse, and she's my stress relief. The barn's a bit too far to ride much (30 minutes, can get up to 40 in rush hour), although I'm working on moving her closer this summer since now that she's over her extended lameness-induced break from intense work, I'm getting antsy to do a bit more than groom for an hour before heading back. I get out there about 3-4 times a week at crazy hours of the day, barring exam weeks.

The things I would say that would be the most helpful are:

1. have a backup plan and know what you can afford before things hit the 'emergency' setting. I know exactly how much money I can get my hands on quickly if need be, and also know what I would feasibly able to afford (for example, as much as I hate to say it, if my mare should need, say, colic surgery - I would probably have to put her down during vet school). It's depressing to think about, but knowing what emergencies you can deal with and what you can't is important. Having a limit is NOT being an irresponsible owner.

2. Spend time to really find a place you feel comfortable with the management of. One of the reasons I've stayed so long at a barn that's just too far away is because I KNOW they will call me with any little thing that happens, and I the boarders are of the type to really help each other out if need be. It means I can't see her as often, but for the first two years of vet school (getting used to first year and then when she couldn't be worked hard anyways) that was enough.

For those of us who are horse people, the stress relief that comes with it is sometimes too crucial to give up. There's a girl at school who still trains for eventing, and is up at 4 am every day to ride before classes. I used to compete a bit, but for now, just having a horse to spend time with and go for trail rides or do some arena work is enough.

Just went though this with my horse. We dropped how much he was insured, but still kept the insurance. Thankfully he is still healthy, but insurance can be a life saver!

I hope your boy heals well!

I held insurance on my leased mare for 2 years, and even though we never used the policy it was really nice to have. One misstep in the pasture can lead to thousands of dollars of treatment. Having insurance was just a nice cushion, knowing I wouldn't need to scrounge up more than a couple grand.

I stopped horseback riding regularly in college, and I definitely miss it. It's been good for me to branch out of the horse world, but it's a fun little world to be immersed in. I can't decide if I want to go into equine med, but I am certainly looking forward to spending more time with horses! I don't like riding weekly lesson horses as much as having my own, but I am hoping to compromise and try a half-lease during vet school. In some ways horses can be easier to have than other pets because with full board someone else is taking care of their basic needs.

The cost of vet school is mind-boggling. I will certainly want to minimize my living costs, but I think having a pet (horse, dog, bird, etc) may be a sanity-saver for a lot of vet students. I would be hesitant to purchase a horse simply because of the expense and the potential veterinary expenses. Each to their own though, and I know there are certainly students who wouldn't think twice about adding another 20 grand onto their debt load.

I tried to go through undergrad without pets for the most part and it was tough. I was a transfer student so was only in that position for 2 years. My cat lived with my parents. My junior year in teh UCD dorms I made it 4 months without something alive with me..... I finally got a fish that lived in a bowel on my desk. It was amazing to be able to have just that. Then my 2nd year, i couldn't have dogs or cats, and so I got a rat. That rat was so amazing. He was well trained, went to some classes with me, I biked with him, and he was such a nice little companion animal. Once I graduated I got myself a horse, another rat, eventually another cat, then another horse.....I am so much happier when I have animals. The stress reduction and my sanity/wellbeing when I have animals around me (and specifically a horse) is just short of miraculous.

I'll be going to vet school with 1 horse, 1 dog (although the household has 2 other ones also), and 1 cat (the other cat will turn into an outdoor ranch kitty, as after trying to make him an indoor kitty for the past 4 years just isn't working). Yep, more work, and more money - but not that much more in the grand scheme of things. And it's worth it in my eyes.

Wanted to add - I certaintely agree with the poster above me though - horses introduce a whole 'nother level of potential vet costs. I certaintely wouldn't be brining a horse through vet school unless it was a horse I already had that I had a good relationship with. Even then, I'm doing it because I have a good support network who I trust, that can take over chores for me etc. if I can't.

I'm going to second pretty much everything that's been said. I don't have as much time for my horse as I'd like, but I do manage to get to the barn to at least visit and brush him every single day. It's a wonderful stress relief, and even though it can also be stressful (he always manages to injure himself during my craziest weeks), I couldn't imagine not having him here with me. As for affording him, I'm very fortunate in that my parents give me some help with my own expenses, so I have a bit more money to work with in supporting him.

turnbackhelly, insurance is a good idea! I am definitely going to look into it for my guy. What company is your horse insured with? Or do you have any companies that you would recommend. My guy is a 14 yr. old hunter if it matters.

turnbackhelly, insurance is a good idea! I am definitely going to look into it for my guy. What company is your horse insured with? Or do you have any companies that you would recommend. My guy is a 14 yr. old hunter if it matters.

I use Taylor Harris (underwritten by Great American) and I love them. I used to have him insured with Markel, but they dropped him when he turned 16 so I switched. You have to have mortality coverage (which I'm honestly not really interested in) in order to have major medical, so my advice to save money is to value your horse at their minimum requirement ($2K) since it's their value that largely determines your premium. my guy is worth a lot more than that, but now that I'm in school and not really working I couldn't afford the premium for his true value - and in case this sounds shady, it was actually my claims rep who suggested i do it this way. :)

I use Taylor Harris (underwritten by Great American) and I love them. I used to have him insured with Markel, but they dropped him when he turned 16 so I switched. You have to have mortality coverage (which I'm honestly not really interested in) in order to have major medical, so my advice to save money is to value your horse at their minimum requirement ($2K) since it's their value that largely determines your premium. my guy is worth a lot more than that, but now that I'm in school and not really working I couldn't afford the premium for his true value - and in case this sounds shady, it was actually my claims rep who suggested i do it this way. :)

Hmm, I was looking at Markel's website and it looks like they just increased their mortality and major medical coverage to cover horses up to 18 years old. If you don't mind me asking, to what age does Taylor Harris provide insurance (mainly the major medical) for?

Hmm, I was looking at Markel's website and it looks like they just increased their mortality and major medical coverage to cover horses up to 18 years old. If you don't mind me asking, to what age does Taylor Harris provide insurance (mainly the major medical) for?

Up to and including 20 years old is my understanding, in which case next year will be the last year that I can cover my guy. My annual mortality premium is 12.5% of his stated value and I have a $15K Major medical and surgery policy with an annual premium of $425. When I renewed this year, there was also an option for $10K major medical and surgery with a $325 premium. I vaguely remember there also being an option to just cover colic surgery (nothing else medical or surgical), with a lower premium. All the agents are super nice and always happy to answer any questions you have!

Up to and including 20 years old is my understanding, in which case next year will be the last year that I can cover my guy. My annual mortality premium is 12.5% of his stated value and I have a $15K Major medical and surgery policy with an annual premium of $425. When I renewed this year, there was also an option for $10K major medical and surgery with a $325 premium. I vaguely remember there also being an option to just cover colic surgery (nothing else medical or surgical), with a lower premium. All the agents are super nice and always happy to answer any questions you have!

Wow, thanks so much for the info! I've been looking at different insurance companies, and that sounds like the best deal I've heard. The problem that I'm finding with a lot of places is that even if you purchase additional major medical, they only want to cover costs up to what the horse is insured for (mortality). ?I will definitely give Taylor Harris a call though! Thanks again :)

I'm a 3rd year student and just wanted to throw in my experience:

I bought a horse a couple of weeks after I started vet school and I'm really glad that I did. She was unbroke and super cheap. I started her under saddle and by now she jumps around with lead changes, good flatwork, goes out on trails, etc. Working on her and having goals to work towards outside of vet school has been invaluable for me.

I live in a really boring/not-so-cultural area so having the horse gives me something to do! I still have more than enough time to study and do school. I ride about 3-4 times a week and my horse is 40 mins from school.

My horse isn't insured because she's not worth much and I know my personal limits for her vet care (ie - no way she's going to colic surgery) and I have discussed this with my parents. I do get some help from my parents for the horse expenses but they've always helped me ride/lesson and know it's really important to me.