Horses at vet school

Started by mnkyrat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mnkyrat

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed that quite a few people are into horses and I was wondering what you are planning on doing with them during vet school. I am pretty sure I will have no time for them but I am not sure I am comfortable giving them up! One is old and the other is out of my fav mare; she passed away at only 14 🙁
Are there any current vet students lurking around that care to share experience with horses + vet school?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SDN Mobile
 
I've been having the same debate. I have a 27-year-old QH gelding (who I adore and have ridden/loved since I was little), and I don't know what I will do with him when I start school. If I get an acceptance to a U.S. school, I may see if I can bring him with me (especially since right now we are rehabbing from a tendon injury that according to the vet could be a year+ in recovery time), but if I end up going to either Edinburgh or the RVC I'm not sure how I can justify a long plane ride for a geriatric creature like him. Leaving him behind for undergrad was hard enough, I'm not sure I want to do it again for vet school!
 
I'm one of those students with a horse in vet school! I bought my first horse my freshman year of undergrad, had 3 by my senior year, and am now back down to one. We actually have a lot of horsey students here and it varies.

I brought mine with me (MA to OK) because he has always gone everywhere with me and I was not willing to leave him behind. Aside from the health problems we had this fall, it has been really nice to have him around. I do really have time time for him, unless I have exams. I will say that moving him to a barn with really excellent care has helped immensely because I'm not worried when I can't get out. Otherwise it is fabulous to be able to take a break and go ride!

I have another friend whose horse is with her, and she has him boarded in a partial care situation where she does her own stall and has to set up his grain. She does not get to ride as much as I do, but she also saves a lot of money, so it's a trade off. Several other people have horses and did not bring them - mainly for reasons of time or money, and because this is Oklahoma, plenty of people have horses at home or at their parents'. There is also a doctor in the equine hospital who I believe is an intern, and she brought her older horse with her. She doesn't have a ton of time for him, but she does get to spend some time with him.
That being said, if I had gone overseas there is no way I would have brought the horse. I thought about it and decided it would not only be ridiculously too expensive, but also vastly unfair to the horse who does not cope well with change.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have four- two that are 28, an 18 yo that is the love of my life, and a 13 yo old I have raised from birth. The two ancient ones will stay. My mom will watch out for them. The 18 yo I can't be seperated from. The 13 yo is his buddy. I would like to find somewhere where they can just go out as a pair, as the 18 yo can be aggressive to new friends. I also am very particular about who handles them (they've always been at home). The 18 yo is sensitive and takes some patience (he has questionable vision and is apprehensive about moving into different light and walking through small gates and things like that). The 13yo is very strong willed and can't be handled by children or beginners. Plus I'm particular about their feeding- 13yo has mr. fatty weight problems, and I believe they need constant access to forage. So finding the right place is going to be fun . :scared: Obviously I've been thinking about this a lot!

I don't expect to see them daily, so I'm prepared to pay what is necessary to be confident they are being kept and cared for how I want them to be. I don't want to worry or feel pressured to check on them when I really need to study.
 
There have been threads on this in the past, if you want additional perspectives. I bought an unstarted horse (off of craigslist...) when I started vet school and don't regret it for a minute. It helps to have a horse who you can leave alone for a week and won't be crazy when you come back out to the barn (love my QH!), and to have a place to board where you feel comfortable not going out for a few days. Fourth year is the worst for having time to ride, but I planned some of my away rotations so that I could bring my mare with me, so that helped. The other years I had time to ride about 3-4 times a week, although there were some weeks when I couldn't go out at all. Even though I go to school in the middle of nowhere (like so many of us!), I was still able to show a couple times during the summers. If you want to make it happen, you definitely can. I love having something completely unrelated to vet school to do that is goal orienteted (since I was starting my horse and doing all of her training), and that makes me happy!
 
I sold my horse when I went to undergrad, but I've been taking riding lessons (for credit!) all four years. This semester I realized I might not be able to ride anymore when I get out of undergrad due to 1) time in vet school and 2) money. But I don't really know where I'm going to be next year, so for now I'm just going to enjoy my three lessons a week next semester and ride as much as I can over break.
 
Having a horse was a no-brainer for me in vet school. You need time that forces you away from studying and into a completely different world where you can go back to "what you know". My mare passed away suddenly just before school started and I barely made it one semester before I was horse shopping again. Ended up buying a great little 7 yr old OTTB and it was fantastic....UNTIL he got hurt. Suddenly, I'm handwalking and changing wraps twice a day, in and out of the vet clinic every couple weeks (and right now once a week). I can't ride. I stress about him all the time because he is bored and starting to get destructive. Basically, it is great to have a horse and you definitely can make time for them BUT if they get hurt it can seriously mess with your schedule and stress level. Right now, in the middle of trying to get a joint capsule to heal that is showing no signs of improvement and the horse is getting more psycho as the day go by and injuring himself in other ways - I'm really regretting it. I am hoping that I'll be able to change my opinion once I'm up and riding him again but that could easily be a year from now.....a year of paying for a lame and injured horse with my school loans that I was ok taking out since it was my therapy and my one "me" thing....

(Disclaimer: I'm on really high doses of prednisone right now. I think what I'm saying is my true opinoin but I'll reread this in a week or so when the dose is lower and let you know. My family tells me I'm quite the pessimist on this stuff, lol)
 
Last edited:
Great input! I figured it is different for everyone but they are such a stress relief for me and great therapy for my mom. Luckily she is with me (she is somewhat handicap due to a neuro-degen disease). She pretty much takes care of them for me while I am in the city all week. I was hoping to be able to rent land/house and keep them like I have been. Does anyone do that or know someone who does?
 
I was hoping to be able to rent land/house and keep them like I have been. Does anyone do that or know someone who does?

I live on a private horse property and my landlord and I care for 5-7 horses depending on who is at which trainer, etc. We have a farm hand who cleans the stalls and does turnouts and I feed in the morning and evenings. It works great since we have a covered arena, dressage court, all weather outdoor area, and access to farm fields for trails, etc.
 
I will not be bringing mine with me sadly. My old man is a 33 yo QH and will definitely do best at home. My other two are attached at the hip and the one is my mom's mare, I couldn't take her boyfriend away :laugh:. I know my parents will take great care of them when I am gone but I will definitely miss having them in my backyard. I am sure wherever I go I will find someplace to ride, and one day get my own horse again.
 
I lost mine to navicular syndrome right before I started undergrad. I wish I still had her and could bring her with me 🙁
 
I do not currently have a horse with me at school but I am thinking about bringing one next year. I wanted to see how things went first before putting my horse through a move. School is busy for sure - but honestly there is plenty of time if you make it a priority. I struggled this semester without my horses and without the physically activity of riding - it helps keep me grounded when I'm stressed. I'm looking forward to crunching the numbers and seeing how I can get them to work for next year so I can bring one of our family's horses with me.

The advice I had from people prior to school was wait and see how the first semester goes and then make the decision. However, there are a couple girls in my class that brought their horses with them and they seem very happy and are academically successful - so its really what you make of it.

I'm IS so moving my horse isn't as big of a commitment as traveling across country with one.

Once you know where you are going - ask around for what kind of board situations are available. Ask current students at your school what they are doing.

Good luck!
 
I don't have mine with me now, a friend is taking care of my horse at the barn I boarded at during undergrad. I trust this barn owner with my horses well being, and I trust my friend with her care. I have to tell you though, there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about her, or riding, and it really tears me up not being able to ride every day.

I didnt bring her for a couple of reasons. Being in vet school I would want a barn with full care, because I would not have time to go out and stand with the farrier or vet, additionally would not have time for doing the stall or feedings, and it is hard to find a barn in an area you are unfamiliar with that you can trust with that much care of your horse. She is also used to a competition scheduled and used to being ridden 6 days a week, and I knew I would not have the time for that in school.
 
I think it depends on where you are going for school. Time wise I think it's do-able but everyone I talk to in Pullman is dissatisfied with the facilities available for boarding. Although I do know some vet students rent a house with property out of town and have several horses. And I'm sure it's better at many of the other vet schools.

I guess I would just check out what's available once you get into school and definitely ask the academic advising. Our 'Mom' (academic coordinator) knows everything about this place and I'm sure every school has a Vet Mom like her. Her job, in part, is to make the move to school as easy as possible for us 🙂
 
So good to hear that it seems do-able! I am pulling for Penn since I am already set up here, but am equally excited about a new adventure at MSU! I guess the "boys" and I will find out what we are doing soon enough!
Keep it coming if you have more!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a freshman, so next year might be different. But right now, I find time to do the things that are really important to me. Yes, it takes extra planning, and yes it means less "down time" but having my horse with me was important for my sanity! The upper classmen all said at our orientation to keep up the things you do outside of school or it will be a very long and tough four years for you.
I have him set up about 10 miles from the vet school. I am able to see him both weekend days and usually once or twice during the week. It definitely helps to find a barn closer to the vet school (even if it is a little more expensive), I don't think I would be able to squeeze in as much horsey time if he were further away.
 
How much does it cost you to keep a horse? Weekly or yearly? Including boarding, feed, vet bills etc. It seems like an extravagent expense to me with massive tuition etc...or is it cheaper than I think it is?? I know when I went through vet school only a couple of my classmates had horses, and they had very wealthy parents who paid for them...
 
Well I don't know as I would call it "extravagant" as most of the students have several pets with them and other hobbies to keep them going. (Your comment seemed a little judgmental to me).

But in case you were actually curious as to the cost as opposed to just judging us horse owner vet students, the cost here in KS breaks down to about $200 per month. I afford it just fine by cutting back on other things like going out and by having a room mate rather than living on my own. It works out for me.
 
$200? 😳 I wish. I wouldn't be able to pay board with that money, let alone all the other things.
 
The stables I know of are 300$ a month and that's for outdoor stall with a small covered area and feed. We have to muck the stall. Some people lease their horses for a few hours a week to other vet students which helps offset the cost. Honestly some students probably pay that (or more) in alcohol.
 
$200? 😳 I wish. I wouldn't be able to pay board with that money, let alone all the other things.

Seriously. That barely covers the farrier here in NorCal. However, the attitude that the poster above has in regards to horse ownership in vet school is very common. I have actually been "lectured" by MULTIPLE small animal folk in my class regarding how "stupid" "immature" "ridiculous" I'm being for having a horse. Ive gotten used to the condensation but it grates on me that these "animal lovers" have such a huge animosity towards a species we are supposed to be treating and don't even TRY to understand why horse people need to prioritize it in their lives to stay sane - and keep your nose out of my finances!. The joys of being surrounded by 130+ type As who think their way is always the best way, lol! Ive just decided they are jealous! :meanie:
 
Seriously. That barely covers the farrier here in NorCal. However, the attitude that the poster above has in regards to horse ownership in vet school is very common. I have actually been "lectured" by MULTIPLE small animal folk in my class regarding how "stupid" "immature" "ridiculous" I'm being for having a horse. Ive gotten used to the condensation but it grates on me that these "animal lovers" have such a huge animosity towards a species we are supposed to be treating and don't even TRY to understand why horse people need to prioritize it in their lives to stay sane - and keep your nose out of my finances!. The joys of being surrounded by 130+ type As who think their way is always the best way, lol! Ive just decided they are jealous! :meanie:

I don't get to ride while at college. I can't afford it. But that doesn't mean other people can't/can't make it work. I really wish I could. It would make me feel better regarding both health and sanity. So with vet school being worse than UG, I'd make it a priority too if it helped keep me sane! (hopefully I'll be able to by then!)
 
I am looking at purchasing a property to live in while in vet school, but need to justify some extra costs. The property sits on 3.5 acres. While I dont have horses myself, I like them... and my space. If I sink some money into a shelter and making it equine friendly what is the likelyhood that I could rent it out to vet students (After I graduate) that want to bring their horses with them but dont want to pay full board costs?
 
Let's bear in mind that cost of board/feed/farrier/vet is going to be incredibly different in different places.

Around here I think it would be pretty difficult to keep a horse (especially if if the horse got sick/injured) if you were running on student loans alone. $200 would probably let you board 1/3 of the horse 😛 But if you have prior savings or an SO with a job or parents who both like you and have money... that would make it a lot easier.
 
Let's bear in mind that cost of board/feed/farrier/vet is going to be incredibly different in different places.

Around here I think it would be pretty difficult to keep a horse (especially if if the horse got sick/injured) if you were running on student loans alone. $200 would probably let you board 1/3 of the horse 😛

I'm in the midwest (as I think the poster of the $200 quote is) and as you say, it really varies by location. I keep mine at home, and mine cost me under $200/mo each also. They are currently barefoot ($30 trim every 6-8 weeks), eat about 8-10 bales of hay at $4.75 each per month on top of their pasture grazing, get a nutrient balancer at $30/month. Their annual vet care is about $500 as long as they are healthy. The old ones are more with their beet pulp and senior feeds of course.

If I were boarding in my area I would expect to pay about $350-400 for a decent full care place.

I think $200-450 is reasonable for pet care, therapy, and a hobby all in one 😀
 
I'm in the midwest (as I think the poster of the $200 quote is) and as you say, it really varies by location. I keep mine at home, and mine cost me under $200/mo each also. They are currently barefoot ($30 trim every 6-8 weeks), eat about 8-10 bales of hay at $4.75 each per month on top of their pasture grazing, get a nutrient balancer at $30/month. Their annual vet care is about $500 as long as they are healthy. The old ones are more with their beet pulp and senior feeds of course.

If I were boarding in my area I would expect to pay about $350-400 for a decent full care place.

I think $200-450 is reasonable for pet care, therapy, and a hobby all in one 😀

My rabbits go through a half-bale in a month... it amuses me that they are not so far behind the horses given the size difference :laugh:
 
I'm in the midwest (as I think the poster of the $200 quote is) and as you say, it really varies by location. I keep mine at home, and mine cost me under $200/mo each also. They are currently barefoot ($30 trim every 6-8 weeks), eat about 8-10 bales of hay at $4.75 each per month on top of their pasture grazing, get a nutrient balancer at $30/month. Their annual vet care is about $500 as long as they are healthy. The old ones are more with their beet pulp and senior feeds of course.

If I were boarding in my area I would expect to pay about $350-400 for a decent full care place.

I think $200-450 is reasonable for pet care, therapy, and a hobby all in one 😀

This why I am hoping for my in-state. DVMdreamer has the same routine that I do. We buy our hay in round bales at about 35$/500# and then I just peel it off in layers or roll out a whole one in the winter months. So far it has been affordable, until the unexpected happens!

I agree that it is a huge financial responsibility but the rewards are so much better than money 😀
 
My rabbits go through a half-bale in a month... it amuses me that they are not so far behind the horses given the size difference :laugh:

Each rabbit? Like a 60ish lb size bale? 😱 I had no idea they could eat that much!!! (I know nothing about rabbits haha)
 
Each rabbit? Like a 60ish lb size bale? 😱 I had no idea they could eat that much!!! (I know nothing about rabbits haha)

It's a group effort between 3 but it's mainly my girl who is super greedy.
Just about a half bale a month 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to chime in and say that I would be significantly less poor if it weren't for my horse. I board at one of the most expensive places in Stillwater (although it's still less than half of what I paid back in the northeast). He wears shoes on all 4 feet, which is expensive but he can't tolerate not being shod. He eats the most expensive grain around and has to be on some extra supplementation for his various health issues, plus he gets Adequan injections and ulcer treatment, none of which are cheap. This fall after we moved to OK, he got incredibly, horribly sick. We spent a lot of time and money figuring out what is wrong with him and treating him, and because it is something that requires a level of maintenance, I will still be spending money on that.

Short version: if your horse is low maintenance and never has problems, you don't need to go broke taking care of them. If you're me, you WILL have the world's most expensive horse.

And I still maintain that it's worth it for me. I'm sure my friends think I'm insane.
 
So I'm in the dual program and on my year of grad school right now, then do first year vet school next year. I decided to leave my high maintenance mare at home this year and see how things go. In hindsight, I do have time for her this year. That being said, seeing my roommates first year vet school schedules I can't imagine having a horse at NCSU. Most days are 9-4 or so which is fine when it's light outside until 7 or later, but unless you can find time to ride before school it would probably be dark by the time you got on your horse. Of course there's always weekends, but my horse needs 4-5 rides a week unless she's pasture boarded. I'm sure there are a few people who do it somehow (I might know of 1), but you'd definitely need the right horse. I would love to eventually find a house with a few acres and a barn, then I'd probably bring my horse.

However, by leaving my mare at home I know she's getting taken care of but she's not getting ridden, she's picked up a bunch of nasty habits, and has gained a bunch of weight. I'm not so happy with my parents about that one, alas.
 
I don't think I would have survived high school and undergrad with my horse. He's been my emotional support since I've had him, and I'm not giving him up. He used to live at a boarding stable that was fairly cheap-to-mid-price for this area ($230 per month), but now he lives in my sister's backyard. I haven't heard from any of my schools yet, but no matter where I end up, he's coming with me. 😀 I value my sanity too much to leave him behind.