Horses to Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jetikarabbit

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, so are you bringing your horses with you if you get accepted?


Anyone know about boarding around LSU?
 
It'll be a couple of years before I'm (hopefully!) accepted (in my first year of Undergrad now), but mine will not be going with me. Right now they live at my house on our property, so when I leave they will be staying here with my mom. I know they will get the same amount of (constant) attention they get now. I am extremely picky about how they are taken care of, and I don't think I would be quite as happy boarding them 😀 Plus, when they stay with my mom, all I pay is feed/hay/shavings/vet/farrier bills! I would love love love to have them close by when I leave but I know they will be happier here. Plus if I get into NCSU, one of the main places we show is at the Hunt Horse Complex and it's like 2 minutes down the road, so my mom can show them and I can come visit 🙂
Since my response isn't very helpful, I pulled up a couple sites that list some boarding facilities around that area for you: http://www.newhorse.com/page/horseb...gion=louisiana&horse_stables_city=baton+rouge
http://www.newhorse.com/page/horseboarding/b.510.g.18.html?horse_stables_region=louisiana
http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Stables/Baton_Rouge_LA.html
Good luck!!
 
Last edited:
I have been contemplating this issue as well. I would like to bring my horse with me and keep competing, but I feel I may not have time in vet school to do all that.

Anyone have experience with this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My horse will go with me anywhere, unless I go to Edinburgh. My horses always have. I know I likely won't be able to keep competing, even if just due to lack of funds, but I still want my horse! Heck, I had 1 to 3 horses during college, all of whom lived in multiple states with me when I moved around, and I managed just fine then. I do eat a lot of rice and ramen noodles.

That said, I know a few people who have continued to compete while in vet school. Not easy, but doable.
 
I have my horse with me at vet school and its not a problem. He's full care boarded but I'm also very particular about his care and make it to the barn at least once a day (usually twice). It's all about priorities and time management to make it work.

As far as showing goes I'm not sure that would be possible aside from some little weekend shows maybe. I will say that if it wasn't for the lighted indoor at the barn here I would NOT be able to ride nearly as much as I do. We're in class from 8-6 solid aside from an hour break at lunch so it's pretty much dark when I go to school and when I leave school at this point in the year. I have one friend in vet school who did compete on the circuit during her first two years but she had her horses in full training board and they traveled with her trainer to shows, etc while she was at school then she just flew down for occasional weekends to hop around a few classes. Once she moved onto clinicals it was impossible aside from the one free block she had.
 
Last edited:
I have my two horses with me and would never have it another way. They are my sanity. I have them full boarded at a barn owned by a local equine vet's wife and she does full care, I make it out 7 days a weke for at least a little while though (they're 10 min. from my apartment).
Sure, when my old appy mare decides to colic the night before an exam it stinks ... but I'd rather be cramming outside her stall than not there and worrying while she's hours away. and you know ... she has a keen ability to develop a problem that relates to where we are in curriculum anyways. I just love that old mare.
I've had the old app forever (12 years now, and she was my first horse) and the other is an old rescue (first horse I ever took lessons on). They hardly ever get ridden (although I do have classmates that ride 5 plus days a week) ... but that's my decision. My parents didn't let me take her to undergrad with me and I'm not sure how I made it, so when i left for vet school it was definately WITH her. (and the other one was acquired here)
 
I don't think I will have enough time to dedicate to my horse and, especially if I end up out of state, I don't know if I'd even be able to transport him.

He's older (in his 20's), so he's going out to pasture when I go to school (already have a nice one spotted out, where he can finally enjoy being a HORSE in a place that has grass all year long).

I will DEFINITELY miss him though. ):