Hospital employee's, or group employee's/partners?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious: Are most EM physicians employed by a hospital, private group, or some other entity? Are there many or few opportunities for partnership in a group practice coming out of an EM residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, we get this deal like once a month at least from recruiters, and they are always trying to sell us on their firm/group and how each one benefits over the other. Basically, from how it is usually explained, there are 3 main scenarios:

Hospital Employee- Salaried by the hospital, usually the lowest paying of the 3 options (Not always though). Basically, you go to work, your malpractice and benefits paid for, make a flat salary no matter how many patients you see.

Group with or without partnership track- Usually RVU system, but can be salary. Group covers benefits and malpractice, and you make money according to number and accuity of patients. Can also be salary though, and this is probably the most varied route.

Private Contractor- basically you work in the ED like it's your office. You keep everything you bill for, but you have to cover your own benefits and malpractice. Many places will try to tell you this is the most profitable situation, but you have to take into account your overhead.

Now, there are many variations to each situation, and I would love to see some attendings or senior residents who are negotiating contracts now give some imput. I may also be off on these explainations, since I'm only going by what we get told by recruiters.

I beleive most groups offer partnership tracks, but I'm sure the ones that do kind of make you sacrifice a little bit more before becoming partner, but then as partner, the perks are usually pretty good (Less nights/weekends, higher salary, etc.)