Hospital hearing screen tech as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need more direct clinical hours but I also need to get a job, so I was looking to kill two birds with one stone. My nearby hospital has a hearing tech aide job opening, where I would be working with newborns in the hospital and giving basic hearing tests to confer their electronic birth certificates. Since I'd be working with patients (newborns) and alongside nurses, audiologists, and (indirectly) physicians, would this technically count as clinical experience, even though its a hearing tech job?

Members don't see this ad.

I need more direct clinical hours but I also need to get a job, so I was looking to kill two birds with one stone. My nearby hospital has a hearing tech aide job opening, where I would be working with newborns in the hospital and giving basic hearing tests to confer their electronic birth certificates. Since I'd be working with patients (newborns) and alongside nurses, audiologists, and (indirectly) physicians, would this technically count as clinical experience, even though its a hearing tech job?
Yes.

It does, but my follow-up question is why? What do you hope to gain? Is this purely a job to make some $$? Do you have an interest in peds or ENT? While it's not necessary to think about these things, you'll eventually be writing about them - and if it's your main clinical exposure, probably listing it as one of your "most meaningful". If it's mainly a job, then it's just a job, but if it's for hours and resume, make it worth it.