hospital Inpatient vs outpatient experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rosiegriffon123

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been working as a hospital inpatient pharmacist many years and hope to move up to hospital management and then to hospital pharmacy director position, hopefully where I am working. All the recent job postings for hospital manager (except for outpatient pharmacy manager) and hospital pharmacy director positions require previous inpatient work experience with preferably clinical experience as well. Is it true that strong Inpatient experience, not outpatient experience is what I need to go up the ladder in hospital setting? My hospital's outpatient service is very much like the retail work; provides only distribution service. Considering this, would transferring to outpatient pharmacy, just to get some outpatient experience, be a bad career move if my goal is to be promoted to hospital management and administration position?

Could I have some advice?