• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Hospital Lingo

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
-
  1. Attending Physician
    One of my favorite shows is scrubs but there are two things in that show which i have yet to figure out what they mean (wikipedia is unhelpful in answering this question). I figured you folks might know.

So:

What does a chief resident do?

What does a residency director do?

About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 4, 2006
    The Other Side of the Portal
    1. Attending Physician
      One of my favorite shows is scrubs but there are two things in that show which i have yet to figure out what they mean (wikipedia is unhelpful in answering this question). I figured you folks might know.

So:

What does a chief resident do?

What does a residency director do?

A Chief Resident is an administrative resident who schedules the call duties and maybe the rotations of all the other residents. Often this is a resident who stays an extra year past the usual training period. Sometimes she/he is in the last year of a customary training period, but agrees to take on the extra responsibility. Sometimes the "honor" is shared by two people or rotated among all the last-year residents. Theoretically this designation looks good on Fellowship applications or job recommendations.

A Residency Director interviews med students for residency spots, schedules CME and organizes grand rounds, is responsible for discipline problems (can fire inadequate residents), and writes or organizes evaluations of the residents which are incorporated into recommendation letters. Usually, this person also has clinical duties.

I'm sure these responsibilites vary by institution to some degree.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.