Hospital Lingo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite shows is scrubs but there are two things in that show which i have yet to figure out what they mean (wikipedia is unhelpful in answering this question). I figured you folks might know.

So:

What does a chief resident do?

What does a residency director do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my favorite shows is scrubs but there are two things in that show which i have yet to figure out what they mean (wikipedia is unhelpful in answering this question). I figured you folks might know.

So:

What does a chief resident do?

What does a residency director do?

A Chief Resident is an administrative resident who schedules the call duties and maybe the rotations of all the other residents. Often this is a resident who stays an extra year past the usual training period. Sometimes she/he is in the last year of a customary training period, but agrees to take on the extra responsibility. Sometimes the "honor" is shared by two people or rotated among all the last-year residents. Theoretically this designation looks good on Fellowship applications or job recommendations.

A Residency Director interviews med students for residency spots, schedules CME and organizes grand rounds, is responsible for discipline problems (can fire inadequate residents), and writes or organizes evaluations of the residents which are incorporated into recommendation letters. Usually, this person also has clinical duties.

I'm sure these responsibilites vary by institution to some degree.

No articles about either of these subjects.

you need to seriously try harder...i found both in less than 10 seconds. you really shouldn't rely on other people to do your research for you. people are often wrong so don't take their word for it. do some independent research to verify your info.