In-Hospital Volunteering Opportunities in Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppathepig

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I transition into my gap year with plans on applying to medical school next cycle (June 2023), I am moving to Boston to work full-time as an RA at one of Boston's hospitals. I have experience working as an EMT (+1000 hours), and around 200 hours of working in a hospital as a COVID-19 tester. I was looking to gain more experience in the hospital with patients & physicians outside of shadowing (and not basic volunteering, which I have done before that has very limited physician/patient interaction). Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This was a few years ago and not in Boston but I had one grad student who held babies in the NICU and another that watched over pediatric surgical patients as they came out of surgery and hadn't yet woken up. (once they wake up, the nurses take over.) I've also seen administering hearing tests to newborns as a volunteer activity. That work is done on weekends given that babies born on Friday afternoon are often discharged on Sunday. Make calls to volunteer offices of hospitals with NICUs and OB departments and see if anything turns up.

Reactions: 1 user