Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Calling other hospitalists-
I am just a year out of residency and have been a hospitalist for the last year. I have heard that the first year out is "hard" given the steep learning curve and responsibility of having the buck stop with you. I chose hospital medicine because believe it or not I really enjoyed being on the wards as a medicine resident. I also did a fair share of electives and there was no fellowship that I loved more that made me want to train for X amount of years more. Fast forward a year out of residency. Hospital medicine is definitely different from the perspective of being medicine resident on the ward in that the administrative pressure comes through strong and the business of how the hospital works becomes more visible and is constantly talked about- LOS, discharge rate, readmission rate etc etc, these are things I didn't think twice about as a resident that I am constantly reminded of each day.
COVID aside, this year has been challenging in that in addition to the quality metrics, the "job role" continues to change at the whim of administration to add on more responsibility to make the hospital money $$
Since this is my first job out of residency, I don't know if the grass is greener elsewhere. I truly felt like I hit a goldmine when I got the job offer (no nights, competitive salary for my location, prestigious academic center, teaching service opportunities.) I work on service 26 weeks of year, some of its is with the house staff and most with midlevels. At this point I'm absolutely not interested in lowering clinical time for more administrative responsibilities or leadership. When I'm off I want to be off.
I am just a year out of residency and have been a hospitalist for the last year. I have heard that the first year out is "hard" given the steep learning curve and responsibility of having the buck stop with you. I chose hospital medicine because believe it or not I really enjoyed being on the wards as a medicine resident. I also did a fair share of electives and there was no fellowship that I loved more that made me want to train for X amount of years more. Fast forward a year out of residency. Hospital medicine is definitely different from the perspective of being medicine resident on the ward in that the administrative pressure comes through strong and the business of how the hospital works becomes more visible and is constantly talked about- LOS, discharge rate, readmission rate etc etc, these are things I didn't think twice about as a resident that I am constantly reminded of each day.
COVID aside, this year has been challenging in that in addition to the quality metrics, the "job role" continues to change at the whim of administration to add on more responsibility to make the hospital money $$
- ED Hospitalist duties
- doing rotations with lower censes that are 100% attending only (10max)
- taking on tasks midlevels do (consults, notes)
- somehow ended up working 12-14 day stretches (this next year this will not be the case)
Since this is my first job out of residency, I don't know if the grass is greener elsewhere. I truly felt like I hit a goldmine when I got the job offer (no nights, competitive salary for my location, prestigious academic center, teaching service opportunities.) I work on service 26 weeks of year, some of its is with the house staff and most with midlevels. At this point I'm absolutely not interested in lowering clinical time for more administrative responsibilities or leadership. When I'm off I want to be off.