Hospital pharmacists in this thread

Started by nafcillin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nafcillin

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to hear your experiences at your current place of employment and past hospitals you have worked. I want to get a feel for what each type of hospital is like and it's pros and cons. I'm thinking of the basics: a large teaching institution, rural one, Trauma level 1 hospital, VA, smaller-bed acute care hospitals. I know I left some out but I want to compare the work you do, the environment and how well you liked the job.

Just start by saying what type of hosp you work(ed) for and then go from there. I think this could be a great thread!
 
I work at a small hospital (~100-200 pts)

Pros:
-despite it's size, it surprising still is a teaching facility (so you can page a resident at 11pm and not feel too bad)
-you get to know everyone.. so building good relations with the nurses really can go a long way.. you scratch their back, they scratch yours
-your in control; 2nd/3rd shift, 1 pharmacist.. its awesome if you like being in control (but you can get slammed sometimes!)

Cons:
-harder to get vacation
-less variety (very few trauma pts, transplant, etc.)
-harder to pick up extra hours
-you get to know everyone.. haha..
 
I work in a rural hospital (CAH) <50 beds.

Pros:
-Like the PP said, you get to know everyone. As an intern I worked at a 600 bed and it was so large and so chaotic everyone was always running around and pissed off. I swore I would never work in a hospital after that because I loathed it so much :laugh:
-You also get to know the docs well and since it's a small town, you know them outside of work, which makes for good relationships
-Lots of autonomy and the ability to really take on as much responsibility for clinical initiatives as you want. I've been able to purse my interests and start new services.
-I personally have fantastic hours - no evenings and only every 4th weekend. We are closed during the evening and another facility takes over for remote CPOE verification. We have a rotating call schedule but I can go several call days without actually having to come in for anything.
-You get to see a little of everything in terms of pts, which is cool and a great learning experience.
-I get paid surprisingly well especially when you add in my call time but I still have enough time to pick up shifts in retail when I want to.
-I feel we are truly valued as part of the team here.

Cons:
-Again like the PP, less variety than a huge metro hospital in terms of traumas. We don't get a lot of GSWs in my little town.
-You have to have lots of interactions with the few people that are really unpleasant to work with.

I can truly say I love my job. I actually miss work when I've been gone for a conference or illness (nerd). I could not pick a better group of coworkers in my department; we have so much fun.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Past 20 years,

I've worked at 500 bed pediatric teaching reserach institution. Intern. Busy busy.
I've worked at 500 bed county teaching facility. Clinical Coordinator. Chaotic busy.
I've worked at 75 bed community hospital. Staff Clinical. Not bad..get to know everyone.
I've worked at Home Infusion Co, DOP.. hated it.
I've worked at 35 bed LTAC. DOP. You gotta do it all.
I've worked at 200 bed rural community hospital. DOP. During the times of pharmacist shortage. It sucked yo.
I've worked at 200 & 300 bed metropolitan for profit facilities. DOP. Cut throat admin.
I've consulted at several 1,200 bed metropolitan world renowned teaching facility. Backwards and not progressive due to complacency and too much pride.

I like the 75 bed community hospital. That's probably how I will close out my career.. as a DOP.. get to know everyone in town.. that's if I don't open my burger joint pharmacy.
 
Last edited: