Hospital Pharmacists, N95 Masks

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How resistant has your administration been at providing you with N95 masks? The way I see it, the entire hospital is contaminated so I want an N95 mask for when I'm delivering something to the floors or for compounding hazardous meds/chemo.

I ordered a full face mask for myself because of this nonsense. Logically, every hospital should have a stockpile of 100,000+ N95 masks.
 
I haven't seen any hospitals provide pharmacists with N95 masks. How often do you personally deliver meds rather than have your techs do it? You're more than welcome to use your own, but I don't really see why you need to be provided one if you spend 99% of your time in main pharmacy.

We have surgical masks and a faceshield for hazardous meds/chemo. Unless you're compounding a hazardous inhalant like pentamidine (in which case we have a whole helmet), I don't really see the need for a N95 mask for compounding.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't seen any hospitals provide pharmacists with N95 masks. How often do you personally deliver meds rather than have your techs do it? You're more than welcome to use your own, but I don't really see why you need to be provided one if you spend 99% of your time in main pharmacy.

We have surgical masks and a faceshield for hazardous meds/chemo. Unless you're compounding a hazardous inhalant like pentamidine (in which case we have a whole helmet), I don't really see the need for a N95 mask for compounding.

USP 800 says you should if you're not compounding in the vertical hood.
 
There are not enough n95 masks for MDs intubating COVID patients but you think pharmacists should get one?

Nurses in my hospital are walking around without changing PPE gowns in between patients. They are moving from the floor and coming down to pick up meds in the pharmacy with the PPE still on. I'm going with the assumption that everyone is infected and I'm not.

I can't believe I actually had to find some dude on Craigslist, set up a meeting in a parking lot and buy a box for myself for $50. I never thought I would ever see the day that it would be easier to find marijuana than to find n95 masks, unbelievable.

I'm should probably contact that guy on Craigslist again, set up a buy for like 1000 masks and then rob his ass at gunpoint and donate the masks to the hospital.
 
Nurses in my hospital are walking around without changing PPE gowns in between patients. They are moving from the floor and coming down to pick up meds in the pharmacy with the PPE still on. I'm going with the assumption that everyone is infected and I'm not.

I can't believe I actually had to find some dude on Craigslist, set up a meeting in a parking lot and buy a box for myself for $50. I never thought I would ever see the day that it would be easier to find marijuana than to find n95 masks, unbelievable.

I'm should probably contact that guy on Craigslist again, set up a buy for like 1000 masks and then rob his ass at gunpoint and donate the masks to the hospital.
Price gouging is illegal during emergency and should be reported.
 
My hospital just started distributing surgical masks the other day. One mask per person with a paper bag to ensure “proper storage” as we have to wear it for as long as we can. In order to get a new one, we have to sign for it. Also, we are finally implementing temperature checks at the entrance. Some progress there...
I agree with above statement that entire hospital is contaminated. Our technicians go to every floor restocking and delivering meds potentially bringing infection back to pharmacy. Return meds that our technicians bring back should all be discarded but we still put them back in stock🙁 There are so many other things that I have noticed that indicate how inadequate our current policies are and not designed for a situation like this. Our management has been quiet, they stopped showing up.Instead, they practice social distancing by sitting in their offices.
This new reality is scary. But I also remember that our nurses and doctors who have direct contact with patients should be protected before anybody else. I live in a state with a very high number of cases already. Tears run down my face some days when I read about whats going on in Italy, Spain and other countries. I also applaud governor of New York for providing honest, up-to-date information to his people!
 
Last edited:
Lack of price gouging encourages people to stockpile stuff others may need more and are willing to pay more for

Easy fix. Purchase limits based on driver's license ID the same way we track pseudoephedrine or limit it to healthcare workers. Secondly, hospitals and states should have massive stockpiles.

Imagine if we spent as much money on producing PPE as we did on the useless F-35 program.
 
Lack of price gouging encourages people to stockpile stuff others may need more and are willing to pay more for

Ability to pay does not correlate well with actual need. Both poor and rich may need the mask to prevent spreading it to others.

Of course if your life view is that someone who can afford a price gouged masks deserves it more than someone who cannot, so be it.
 
After this is all over, hospitals and civilians will be stockpiled with PPE and TP from now on. Just like how every shop owner went out and bought guns and ammo after the '92 LA riots. America if reactive, not proactive.
 
There are not enough n95 masks for MDs intubating COVID patients but you think pharmacists should get one?

I think the concern is real and justified. This virus is highly contagious and many people are going to die. It's one time I am glad that I don't work in a hospital, but I believe it's inevitable I will contract the virus and get sick. Based on who has died so far I have a good chance of surviving but I may die. If I weren't a pharmacist I believe I would be safer. Don't blame your employer, anyone who has worked in pharmacy long enough has caught bugs from their customers.
 
After this is all over, hospitals and civilians will be stockpiled with PPE and TP from now on. Just like how every shop owner went out and bought guns and ammo after the '92 LA riots. America if reactive, not proactive.

I'm definitely gonna stockpile when it's over and surplus prices hit rock bottom. It's good to have it set to the side for emergencies like this because the government will definitely not be prepared again (at least Federally).

Also: the last 2 weeks saw the record high of gun sales.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ability to pay does not correlate well with actual need. Both poor and rich may need the mask to prevent spreading it to others.

Of course if your life view is that someone who can afford a price gouged masks deserves it more than someone who cannot, so be it.

But that's just the way it is. With price gouging laws in effect, the supply dries up pretty fast due to people hoarding. Without price gouging, you can still buy what you need but it will be at a higher price. How do poor people benefit from price gouging laws if the low price allows people to buy as much as they can?

But I think it brings another question: what exactly is price gouging? Obviously selling a 2oz bottle of hand sanitizer for $1,000 is price gouging but what about selling it for $5? Where exactly do you draw the line?
 
Few weeks ago there was a yahoo article telling people to please not buy N95 masks for healthcare workers` sakes.

Guess what that article made people do
 
But that's just the way it is. With price gouging laws in effect, the supply dries up pretty fast due to people hoarding. Without price gouging, you can still buy what you need but it will be at a higher price. How do poor people benefit from price gouging laws if the low price allows people to buy as much as they can?

But I think it brings another question: what exactly is price gouging? Obviously selling a 2oz bottle of hand sanitizer for $1,000 is price gouging but what about selling it for $5? Where exactly do you draw the line?

Like Sparta pointed out retailers can put limits to how much can be purchased by one person. So there are things that can be done to limit horsing besides just raising the price till only the super rich can afford a mask.

I agree with your second point. It comes up every hurricane in FL. Illegal or not there are always people selling batteries for $50 and such. Human nature is what it is.
 
I had annual fit testing a month ago and they let me keep the N95. This was before COVID gets worse in the US.
 
The temp check implemented at hospitals is very basic in my opinion. Right now, everyone that works in hospitals should be considered “carrier” until proven otherwise. This is because, there are definitely people that do not show symptoms but carry the virus. Hospitals, due to shortages in PPE’s had been resistant at providing them to all employees, but that attitude is changing.
In my opinion no one is safe, when you consider the potential for contamination at all levels including pharmacy, even when one is not on the floor.
 
I have a few N95s that I got from fit testing in years past. I have been saving them for forever for a special occasion. Otherwise, pharmacy here is not getting any N95s, lol. We are allowed to wear any masks we bring from home though (just have to wear a hospital-sanctioned mask into a patient’s room).
 
How resistant has your administration been at providing you with N95 masks? The way I see it, the entire hospital is contaminated so I want an N95 mask for when I'm delivering something to the floors or for compounding hazardous meds/chemo.

I ordered a full face mask for myself because of this nonsense. Logically, every hospital should have a stockpile of 100,000+ N95 masks.
Didn’t you say covid19 was a joke.
 
we all get surgical masks if we are on the units - one per day. I work in the ED most of the time, my dad found dozen or so N95's in his workshead (He is a farmer) from the past that he sent me so I will be wearing them during my shift. I honestly think I am at a decent risk simply because the way we are going to get exposed isn't from the obvious patient who goes into the special COVID unit, but it is the heart attach, broken leg, etc that doesn't tell us they are having symptoms, or I am exposed from a RN who was exposed earlier and is currently asymptomatic.