Hospital pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TLA12

Reaction score
I have worked at a multiple hospitals over the years and had many intelligent dedicated co-workers. However, there was always a noticeable minority (~20%) that appeared to been in some unofficial competition to actively find ways to do the least work possible.

I am admittedly a lazy person by nature, but can't find a reason to dump work on others in such a cushy job.

Is this just a human nature issue or something else?

I know this is a relatively petty concern especially given the job market and how difficult retail can be.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t speak to human nature but my experience is yes, there are always people (pharmacists, techs, anyone) competing to see who can do the least. And amazingly they all seem to be tied for first.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, this has happened in every job setting I’ve had since I started working at the mall at age 16. I’ve worked retail, office settings, financial firms, retail pharmacy, outpatient/clinic, hospital pharmacy, etc...

Even firms my partner has engaged/contracted with exhibit this behavior.

Definitely human nature, but I’d say 20% is average.

I think it’s sometimes a defense mechanism against getting work dumped on you/getting taken advantage of. There’s a fine line between exerting extra effort in times of operational stress and normalizing unpaid extra efforts.

Like how the more you know, the more gets put in your lap. Sometimes it’s helpful to selectively not know how to do things.

Reactions: 5 users
People in scut work retail who are like this typically will use excuses like, "I am trying to be careful" (as though you aren't) and "I didn't have enough time."

Some if it can be chalked up to inferior pattern recognition ability though and some is just outright laziness (k you got a Premarin script from a ped and you don't know anything about it? Maybe do some ****ing research or call the office?)

This is how all jobs in the world are.

This is how all jobs in the world are.

I never noticed it in jobs I had before graduating, but never really had to share a pool of work with others.

Call it ignorance or naivety, but I was hoping for a more "professional" approach as people got older. But since there is no incentive to do more than the minimum and management has different priorities, I guess I get it.

Last edited:
I never noticed it in jobs I had before graduating, but never really had to share a pool of work with others.

Call it ignorance or naivety, but I was hoping for a more "professional" approach as people got older. But since there is no incentive to do more than the minimum and management has different priorities, I guess I get it.
The longer (and harder) you work, the more you will get it. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Yep everyone basically gets the same starting pay, raise and bonus (if they still exist) so there's no incentive to work harder than your peers. If we worked in an office setting then it would probably be different.

It amazes me how hard some people will work to avoid doing work. Or that they would rather be bored like hiding in a dark closet doing nothing, than to do work. I don't get it.

Reactions: 1 user
A friend of mine has a coworker who basically does online shopping all day and routes all questions to other pharmacists. Since they are unionized, there is nothing anyone can do to get her to do any work...

In retail it’s probably 50% at least. Meaning 50% of techs I have encountered just want to get by doing bare minimum (if that). It’s like they would purposely avoid learning new skills so that no one would expect them to do more.

A friend of mine has a coworker who basically does online shopping all day and routes all questions to other pharmacists. Since they are unionized, there is nothing anyone can do to get her to do any work...
Ouch

Do the people doing the minimum to stay hired have the right idea?

There's no incentive in my place to be a "good worker", and there are no real consequences for being a childish prick.

I've tried to slack and I end up more bored than just getting the work done.

Maybe they could put a satellite blocking barrier around her desk?

can't fire her because of union is just a dumb excuse for weak managers/directors that are too lazy to document and actually do something about it

How these people aren't fired or have jobs is such a mystery to me...

The only firings I've seen were for offensive (non PC) language and obvious nonperformance that dragged on

All others are given a stern talking to as issues invariably arise...

For a profession short on jobs, people don't seemed overly concerned about keeping theirs

Last edited:
The only firings I have witness in hospital pharmacy are related to technicians stealing narcotics or one case where a tech flat out refused to prepare an IV because they thought it was someone else's responsibility. The pharmacist on shift said something to the effect of "To be clear, are you refusing to prepare this medication that I am telling you to make?" That tech was fired before they could clock in the next morning.

As for pharmacists, it seems like as long as you don't get caught stealing or having sex on the clock you are probably fine. Actually, I know of at least one person who didn't get fired for item #2.

• Hmm
The only firings I have witness in hospital pharmacy are related to technicians stealing narcotics or one case where a tech flat out refused to prepare an IV because they thought it was someone else's responsibility. The pharmacist on shift said something to the effect of "To be clear, are you refusing to prepare this medication that I am telling you to make?" That tech was fired before they could clock in the next morning.

As for pharmacists, it seems like as long as you don't get caught stealing or having sex on the clock you are probably fine. Actually, I know of at least one person who didn't get fired for item #2.
Your hospital sounds considerably more exciting than mine.

Reactions: 3 users