Hospital Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bez604

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm about to start volunteering in a hospital pharmacy and am excited about it. Anyone ever volunteered in a pharmacy? What types of things did you do? Just kinda of curious what I will actually be able to do? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm about to start volunteering in a hospital pharmacy and am excited about it. Anyone ever volunteered in a pharmacy? What types of things did you do? Just kinda of curious what I will actually be able to do? Thanks

I've job-shadowed in hospital pharmacies, but never volunteered. I've made rounds with different pharmacist to each unit (women's center, acute care, intensive care, etc.) and helped out at the counter. I've helped unpack shipments of supplies and counted out pills for prescriptions....There was a little bit of clerical work (ie. answering the phones) and I ran some errands for them, but other than that it didn't get too complex. lol I really enjoyed myself!

I have (finally!) been volunteering at a local community hospital for about 3 weeks now (about 6 hrs/week) and had no prior pharmacy experience. Depending on the techs that are around, I learn more on some days than others. I usually accompany a tech on the hourly floor deliveries and have been able to get some hands-on experience with exchanging/refreshing patient meds in the Pyxis machines (which have been likened to a "drug ATM"). There is quite of bit of activity in the IV room, where I help pull/label various already-prepared IV meds to fill orders. (Note: it's been said elsewhere, but is worth reiterating - definitely double and triple-check anything you pull for an order. If you arent' sure if you have the correct strength or drug - don't be afraid to ASK someone.) Basically, I am being trained as a tech. There's also the clerical-type stuff, like stocking medication bins and expiration-dating IV meds.

Mostly, I am struck by how fast everyone works. Many of the pharmacy staff have been there for many, many years, so it isn't surprising that they know what they are doing when they work so fast. Everything seems like it's second nature to them (techs and pharmacists). I'm told that summer is generally a "slower" time, so I'm glad to start my experience now so I will at least have some knowledge and more confidence under my belt when it gets busier.

It's only been a short time, but I already know how valuable this experience is and will continue to be for me. I'm really enjoying it, too. I will have plenty to talk about with the adcom on the subject! (Application in progress for 2008 admission.)

Keep us posted on your experience, Bez. Learn as much as you can and help however they need you to. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You said finally. Did it take you awhile to get a position in there? I think that I was very fortunate, the first day I went in I had the mindset that there would be no chance to get into the pharmacy. I just wanted to get my foot in the door volunteering and then maybe along the way get into the pharmacy. But right away there was an open spot, I was truly shocked and also very excited at the same time. I honestly can't wait.

You said finally. Did it take you awhile to get a position in there?

Over a period of about a month, I had called several other hospitals in the area, Kaiser Permanente, a compounding pharmacy, and retail pharmacies - all of which did not have opportunities for volunteers for one reason or another. (I always identified myself as a pre-pharmacy student.) So when I called the volunteer office of the hospital I'm at now, I didn't have my hopes set too high. I was very pleased (and shocked) to get a call back the same day from the pharmacy director, telling me he didn't see any problem with me volunteering in the pharmacy. Like you are feeling now, I was very excited (and still am)! It took over two weeks before I could actually start because there were many steps I had to go through to get cleared to begin volunteering (fingerprinting, two written references, TB test, attend orientation, etc.).

I think one's success in finding a volunteer position depends partly on where you live. Compared to some other SDN'ers, it seems I found something fairly quick.

Hospital pharmacy is where I got my start. When I was in high school I knew I wanted to do something in the medical field but I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted to do. I volunteered at my local hospital when during the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of high school. One of the places I was sent during my time as a volunteer was the pharmacy, I essentially knew right away that I was interested in this field and as a result I continued to volunteer in the pharmacy during the school year (weekends). When I was 16 I applied for an received my pharmacy tech license in Illinois and I was hired by the hospital as a weekend tech. Needless to say because I had found an interest in pharmacy my grades in high school improved because I now had an idea of what I wanted to do and I had a goal in mind. I signed up for and passed the PTCB exam when I was 17 and I ended up working at the hospital for 6 years up until just recently when my family moved. To be honest, working at the hospital was a great experience- I was years ahead of my peers in terms of my knowledge base- i.e. pharmaceutical calculations, IV aseptic technique, and basic mechanisms of drug action. Make the best out of your volunteer experience and get to know the people that work in the pharmacy-this can be very important especially if you are interested in a position in the future. Also, get your tech license so that legally you are covered.
Best of luck!