Hospital research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blasterx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing research at a hospital this summer and the doctor wants to know what days and how many hours I can be there for. For those of you who have done hospital research before, how many hours/wk did you do it for? I don't want to low ball him and I want to be there enough to contribute significantly to the project.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It is a pretty simple question - how much time can you commit? What is your schedule otherwise? If you could be there 8 hrs a day, would he be able to use you? What does he need, and what can you offer?

Pretty simple...

I'd say 6-8 hrs/day should suffice. Do you really need advice on how many hours YOU can commit to something? For that, find your mommy, or your daddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm able to commit to however much he needs me. I can be there 5 days a week or I can be there 1 day a week. I was expecting him to tell me how much he needed me there. But since I get to pick I was wonder what was typical.

Well I'm able to commit to however much he needs me. I can be there 5 days a week or I can be there 1 day a week. I was expecting him to tell me how much he needed me there. But since I get to pick I was wonder what was typical.

He doesn't need you, YOU NEED HIM. He'll have his research done with/without you. You are in it to get a publication, or 2. Step up, be a man, and show some initiative.

Now, a valid question might be to ask the PI if he/she is willing to pay a stipend; however, I don't have the balls to ask that one.

He doesn't need you, YOU NEED HIM. He'll have his research done with/without you. You are in it to get a publication, or 2. Step up, be a man, and show some initiative.

Now, a valid question might be to ask the PI if he/she is willing to pay a stipend; however, I don't have the balls to ask that one.

Well I'm definitely not getting paid. That would be nice though.

Look at all the other commitments you have work/school/volunteer/travel etc. etc. and figure out how much of the time remains and how much you can commit, really how hard can it be? Nobody here will be able to figure out your schedule for you, and research varies widely not only by topic but by time commitment necessary so there's not much we can help you with.

If you're not in school during this time, consider 20hrs/wk as your minimum, and increase as needed. Ask him what he would prefer as far as the length of your work day.

Basically you'll need to adjust your schedule based on the kind of research you are doing. If you need to be in there 8hrs a day, do it, but if not, then just do 4.

I'm actually a little suprised he put it all on you. If it were me, I would tell him you are available full time, then leave it up to him to tell you to come in less.

If you're not in school during this time, consider 20hrs/wk as your minimum, and increase as needed. Ask him what he would prefer as far as the length of your work day.

Basically you'll need to adjust your schedule based on the kind of research you are doing. If you need to be in there 8hrs a day, do it, but if not, then just do 4.

I'm actually a little suprised he put it all on you. If it were me, I would tell him you are available full time, then leave it up to him to tell you to come in less.

I'm not surprised. I was always asked when I was available and how many hours per week I could come in. After I told them, they would say, well, we don't care as long as you finish your work in time.