Hospital Tech job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, do you use a lot of mixing/compounding calculations as hospital tech? I currently work at retail (less than 1yr), and I just passed the National PTCB exam last night. I'm thinking of making a switch to hospital but I feel intimidated by preparing IVs, compounding etc. Can anyone give me a little insight of what goes on in a hospital setting? Whom do you interact more? RN? MD? How many phone calls do you receive? As a retail tech, I have to pick up the phone stat or my store will lose points.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious, do you use a lot of mixing/compounding calculations as hospital tech? I currently work at retail (less than 1yr), and I just passed the National PTCB exam last night. I'm thinking of making a switch to hospital but I feel intimidated by preparing IVs, compounding etc. Can anyone give me a little insight of what goes on in a hospital setting? Whom do you interact more? RN? MD? How many phone calls do you receive? As a retail tech, I have to pick up the phone stat or my store will lose points.

You do a lot of reconstitution calculations - and a lot of meq / mg to volume calculations... I think we may have done alligations once (is that even spelled right?) hahah - I would make the switch if you can - it will expand your experience.

~above~

You should definitely try out an IV tech job if you're interested. :) The math involved isn't too difficult. Most of the compounding you do will just involve basic math.

I'm assuming you're talking about in-patient pharmacy when you're asking the questions about who we interact most with..? Generally, it's with the nurses. MDs call too but those calls are given to the pharmacists.

From what I hear, the hospital pharmacy that I work at doesn't receive the high volume of phone calls that retail settings do. This is just what I was told from my co-workers that came from retail settings.

Just as a side note-- I have to pick up the phone within 2 rings or else.. face the pharmacists' wrath. Haha. Okay... Well, maybe just one pharmacist. They usually understand if I have my hands in the hood to make an IV or if I'm running around like a maniac trying to get something else done. :p