uknowwhoitis

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all,

Last summer I volunteered at a hospital in the foot surgery department with some doctor my brother knew. He was cool with me coming in and I got in about 40 hours and basically I was helping patients in (cuz of foot problems and their lack of ability to walk) and for the most part just watching. I was wondering what the schools take on such volunteer work would be. I want to apply soon but would have loved to put in other "normal" hospital volunteer work in (normal as in ER or other non-specialty dept). Is this good enough, what would be a quick way to start volunteering since hospitals always have wait times. Thanks!!!

RRT2MD

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
uknowwhoitis said:
Hi all,

Last summer I volunteered at a hospital in the foot surgery department with some doctor my brother knew. He was cool with me coming in and I got in about 40 hours and basically I was helping patients in (cuz of foot problems and their lack of ability to walk) and for the most part just watching. I was wondering what the schools take on such volunteer work would be. I want to apply soon but would have loved to put in other "normal" hospital volunteer work in (normal as in ER or other non-specialty dept). Is this good enough, what would be a quick way to start volunteering since hospitals always have wait times. Thanks!!!
In your communications with medical schools I would recomend against using the word choice, "...some doctor my brother knew." Needs to be refined, don't lie, but it needs some 'sugar'. ;)

Can you go back to this "doctor" and get something in writting? On letter head? Just make sure he's not a D.P.M.

Any social service volunteer work could count. Something with the homeless? A local HIV clinic? Outreach with a local diocice where you could get a letter from some clergy?

Just some ideas.

Good Luck.

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Somewhere in the Colon (Any rotation)
Status
Medical Student
uknowwhoitis said:
Hi all,

Hospice is always looking right away, Going to homes or in patient.
:luck:

About the Ads