Hospital with residency program is closing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExperiencedDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my former residents just emailed me an article from a Philadelphia newspaper. Hahnemann Hospital which is supposedly a pretty large teaching hospital will be closing in a few weeks. Did a little internet searching and this hospital has 9 Podiatric residents. I feel horrible for these kids. They are in a bad situation and don’t know if any local programs in the area can absorb these kids.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my former residents just emailed me an article from a Philadelphia newspaper. Hahnemann Hospital which is supposedly a pretty large teaching hospital will be closing in a few weeks. Did a little internet searching and this hospital has 9 Podiatric residents. I feel horrible for these kids. They are in a bad situation and don’t know if any local programs in the area can absorb these kids.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the CPME 'obligated' to find positions for these residents?

Sadly, I can see these residents not finishing their programs on time though.

It didn't get any real press on here but I was lead to believe this past year was a blood bath with program shutdowns/on the rocks - hospitals would end their podiatry residency and the directors would be begging local hospitals to pick up the program. All my info was second hand but I heard of a program in Florida, a well known in Ohio, and hints of bad happenings at VAs in Arizona. Was told of even more. We've been at what seems like a ~1:1 ratio of for awhile now so losses are devastating. It sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
The Hahnemann University hospital is closing.
They are stopping ED admissions on July 1st 2019.
I am one of the current residents.
2/9 have found a spot but the other 7 are still looking.
If you know of a program that can take a resident please let me know.
We can transfer with our current GME funding, so we will be FREE LABOR FOR THE PROGRAM for all of our training.
The program only has to show CPME that it has enough surgical numbers to take on one more person.

We are all looking nationally so any program goes.
Thank you all very much for any help!
Best of luck to you and your fellow residents in finding a place to train. Terrible situation. What a pain in the ass in terms of picking up and leaving. Ending leases for apartments and paying fees. Paying for moving. Terrible.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. And your point?

Meaning this isn't one of those situations where it's the fault of one bad program that we're better off without. This is a tragic situation that's devastating to a lot of patients, residents, and fellows. Your comment was incredibly insensitive.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi!
The Hahnemann University hospital is closing.
They are stopping ED admissions on July 1st 2019.
I am one of the current residents.
2/9 have found a spot but the other 7 are still looking.
If you know of a program that can take a resident please let me know.
We can transfer with our current GME funding, so we will be FREE LABOR FOR THE PROGRAM for all of our training.
The program only has to show CPME that it has enough surgical numbers to take on one more person.

We are all looking nationally so any program goes.
Thank you all very much for any help!

Hopefully you can make use of the Resident Rescue Fund offered by COTH. Good luck!

Attachments

• 5-14-07RRF-GovDocRevisedFinal.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: 2 users