Hospitalist seeking (free) advice on life/job choice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fococoroco22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. This is posted in the IM forum. I hope it’s not against rules to
Post here but reading your threads, and given your training I was hoping to get your perspective. Yes it’s a cheap attempt to get free psychological advice for a non medical personal issue. If this is in any way offensive I sincerely apologize.

Hello again.
I’ll do my absolute best to keep this as succinct as possible. I’ve given my current employer my walking papers. Leaving in a couple months on great terms.
Outpatient, even in the highly desirable realm of concierge medicine, isn’t for me at this time in my career. It is an excellent way, however, to spend the last 5 to 10 years of my career. I wouldn’t say that I’m a masochist, but inpatient/sick patients is where my heart has always been.

I was born and raised in Miami, my three lifelong friends are there, and I am an avid waterman/diver. Currently I live about two hours away, but go every other weekend to spend time with my my father, friends, and the water. It’s as meaningful as a group of your closest friends and your personal passion can be. That said it is still friends and a hobby that drives me back. I have no great love for the city itself but when I’m away either overseas or in other cities or states, I’m pretty regularly overcome with a rather strong sense of home-sickness. It’s been like this since leaving after high school. Can’t explain it, doesn’t make sense necessarily, it just is what it is.

Since handing in my resignation papers from my current concierge practice, I have been offered, thankfully, a number of excellent jobs. One is at a large center in Miami. However, the pay is trash and the census is high. They used to be great but they were just bought by a corporation and it’s kind of obvious that they’ve turned into a meat grinder. So that’s off the table but I just wanted to share.

The next option for moving back home is locum tenens, I have at least three locations where I’m being credentialed that offer above average pay 190 to 200 for days 210 to 215 for nights. I plan to work about 20 weeks a year.

I’ve also been honored, lucky and grateful to be offered a position with Kaiser in Southern California , for anyone who hasn’t looked at them they run their program, at least, from what I have experienced from multiple interviews and a site visit, the way hospital programs should be run. Excellent Support, census, and most importantly, culture and people from what I can tell. They also offer a pension which, if I stay for 10 to 20 years, i.e. what they call the golden handcuffs, will provide significant benefits in retiremen: Vesting starting at 10 years service equaling approximately $2 million assuming I die at 90 and 20 years service at double that. This is in addition to 401(k) and extra Keogh savings tax advantaged plan where u can put over 60 grand away each year. And of course there are imputed benefits that increases the pay as well. The base pay is also above average even accounting for the higher taxes and cost of living.

In LA, where my Kaiser site would be, I have my cousins and their families. I’m extremely close to my cousins, we grew up like brothers.

I’m faced with Two seemingly great but diametrically opposed options, one being a locums / independent contractor based in Miami (or until I find a better local spot), and the other being a company man at Kaiser . My personality has always chafed against authority and being “owned” so to speak. However, I acknowledge that this is a somewhat immature way of thinking about things. I suppose I still have a bit of Peter Pan syndrome.

This is something that I have discussed, and will be discussing further with a counselor that I have started seeing— Because the question isn’t financial necessarily, if it was purely, logically follow the money the clear question is to put my 10 to 20 years in California and have a very comfortable and safe retirement at 65.

The Question is about personal and professional growth. I’m still single as well and it’s time to find a partner. Possibly even start a family

Last week I made the decision in my head to go to California. I then proceeded to start waking up essentially in a cold sweat with images and feelings and thoughts of all that I would be sacrificing: the lifelong relationships that I’ve had with my closest three friends, of course we’d always be close, but we wouldn’t grow older together. I’d also be leaving my natural environment, the water, and any conservation groups and social diving groups that I’m a part of.
It was real fear there. And possibly a character flaw, but well, I’m struggling.

Essentially, I’m not asking for specific advice, though I’m happy for any insights or thoughts you all are willing to give.

What I’m asking for, meditating for, praying for is to figure out what the right questions I need to ask myself are. And how I can double check my own answers against any bull**** my emotions or mind maybe setting up as blocks.

Is that relatively clear?

Essentially it’s a question of going home and comfort/possible lack of growth-impetus va heading into the unknown again.

As always, thanks to the members of this board. I don’t know if anyone has been in any situation even remotely close to this, but if someone has, you have my sympathies and my gratitude.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.