Hospitals paying for medical education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NatureGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know if there are any hospitals in Ohio that will pay for your medical education in return for you committing to work for them for a set amount of years? My mom just mentioned to me the other day that one of her friends who's a nurse said that they'll do it now for docs and nurses...I was rather skeptical. I know that there are a lot of incentive programs like this for nursing, but for med school??? The only reason I could think of that they'd do this is there are a lot of rural hospitals around here. Any input I could get concerning this would be greatly appreciated!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

We have a program that is similar to that....i havent got all of the details yet. But the basic gist is this: you work for the hospital during the summer while still premed following docs around (mostly in the ER) and assisting with various simple tasks (prolly nurses aid type stuff) during the summer for something around min. wage. If after doing this as a pre-med you get through med school and comeback to our town to practice then they pay a certain amount towards your med school (i dont think it was the whole thing.....60G sticks in my mind....)

The really great part of the program though is the experience and interaction you get with the doctors premed....cuz you mostly work for them...not the nurses....and im told you get ample oppertunity to do things like go to the OR and observe.....

Ive been intending to get the details for a while now...just havent gotten around to it yet.....

oh yeah, and its called "Grow Your Own" and it is in a fairly large ohio town....marion....and our hospital is run by Ohio Health.....which is i think the larget med company in ohio....so maybe they have it other places.....marion isnt really rural...and we dont have problems getting doctors to come that I know of....we have tons...the reasons that we dont get many of the super specialized docs is that ohio health is to cheap to put in appropriate facilities....(sorry....decided to talk about ohio health....so I have to put in at least one mention of how much they suck!)

Hope this helps some....