You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Hospitals where the ED dominates
Started by mvemsnp
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
All points well said. Its good to be in an institution where the EM department is respected. On the other hand, these can be places where the ED itself is expected to do the heavy lifting for the hospital as a whole, leading to spending time on a lot of non-emergent patients.
That being said, other places that would fit your profile:
Cook County Hospital
Denver Health
Disclaimer: I'm not mariolatry. I'm her husband, an emergency physician in Denver.
That being said, other places that would fit your profile:
Cook County Hospital
Denver Health
Disclaimer: I'm not mariolatry. I'm her husband, an emergency physician in Denver.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm surprised that some of these other programs have not been mentioned....
1) Kings County
2) Orlando Regional
3) Christiana
4) Jacobi
1) Kings County
2) Orlando Regional
3) Christiana
4) Jacobi
Any info or experiences regarding ED dominance at any of the Boston programs? I've heard Boston Medical Center is the strongest training program in this region, but does the ED "dominate"? What about levels of trauma and acuity level regarding these programs?
I've heard that BMC's ED pretty much does its own thing. However, I have no experience with it... only word of mouth.Any info or experiences regarding ED dominance at any of the Boston programs? I've heard Boston Medical Center is the strongest training program in this region, but does the ED "dominate"? What about levels of trauma and acuity level regarding these programs?
Maricopa's EM Residency Program definitely runs the show at Maricopa Medical Center. The EM program is not only one of the best in the state, it is one of the best in the country. The EM residents at Maricopa make critical decisions for all orthopedic cases, neurology cases, neurosurgery cases, internal medicine, toxicology cases, ob/gyn cases, and are treated as equal team members in the management of surgical, trauma, and critical care cases. The EM residents are the best residents in the hospital and their autonomous practice is a reflection of the trust bestowed upon them from all of the other services.
Last edited:
I would 2nd kalamazoo and add Texas a & m corpus christi. A & M is a little on the new side but looked pretty strong when I interviewed and they run all the traumas and only have to fight with a fam med program plus it is next to the beach.
I think we should definitely be on the list. Very old program, EM with strong residents. Our Chair is the longest acting Chair of any Dept in the school of medicine. Our attending is the CEO for one of our community hospitals. The Chief of Staff elect for University Hospital is one of our EM attendings.....how many people have an EM Chief of Staff? At one of our community hospitals we just bought (yes, our EM group owns...) the hospitalist group...guess who dominates who!
What about The Toledo Hospital (ProMedica)? Do you know anything about that hospital? I've researched it online, but all I've been able to find is that it has 700+ beds, it's currently being renovated, and it's in Toledo 🙂laugh🙂. That's about it =/
ANY info about this hospital (especially from Toledoans) is greatly appreciated - I'm really interested in it 🙂
Used to work there as a medic. What do you want to know?
Of the places I interviewed at last year...
Metro Health in Cleveland....they pretty much say straight up in the interview that they dominate the place, that they drive the hospitals revenue and because of that they get what they want
Henry Ford in Detroit...the famous guy at the hospital, Dr. Rivers of early goal directed therapy, is in EM and the department and program director have been around a long time and I had the impression that they generally get what they want.
That said, how the department dominates probably shouldn't be a number one consideration. Nothing wrong with adding that to the calculus but there are a ton of good programs where EM is not the best known program at the institution. I would, however, avoid places where the Department is completely disrespected or where the department is actually a subunit of another department such as surgery or medicine.
Metro Health in Cleveland....they pretty much say straight up in the interview that they dominate the place, that they drive the hospitals revenue and because of that they get what they want
Henry Ford in Detroit...the famous guy at the hospital, Dr. Rivers of early goal directed therapy, is in EM and the department and program director have been around a long time and I had the impression that they generally get what they want.
That said, how the department dominates probably shouldn't be a number one consideration. Nothing wrong with adding that to the calculus but there are a ton of good programs where EM is not the best known program at the institution. I would, however, avoid places where the Department is completely disrespected or where the department is actually a subunit of another department such as surgery or medicine.
From what I've seen:
Advocate Christ, New Mexico, U of Arizona, and Carolinas fit this bill.
Advocate Christ, New Mexico, U of Arizona, and Carolinas fit this bill.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely University of Arizona
I'm looking for a list of programs where the emergency department has the largest role within the institution. In other words, where is it that EM is a "big fish in a small pond" rather than a "small fish in a big pond" of surgery, IM, ortho, etc?
I tried doing an extensive search and couldn't come up with much. I'd imagine the smaller, more "county" programs have a bigger influence and carry a bigger stick in the overall hospital hierarchy than in the large prestigious academic centers, but im basing that on nothing. Any opinions on specific hospitals, and how the setting influences hospital hierarchy (ie urban vs rural, community vs academic, wealthy vs indigent populations).... thanks!
Kern Medical Center fits this bill for sure, it's a county facility where you can get your hands dirty.
And when you're applying for EM residencies this is a pertinent point to look for an ED dominated hospital. When FM, IM & Surg aren't ruling the roost it makes you a stronger doc overall since you need to know your s#!^ plus you become the procedure guru.
What's great about Kern Medical EM is there aren't specialty residency programs so when it comes to Anesthesia, ENT, Ortho, Uro, NeuroSurg, etc... so you get to do all the procedures you want (codes/Tubes, PTAs, splinting/reductions, Suprapubic caths, IVDs, etc...) and without Radiology residents (or overnight radiologists) you become very proficient at reading your own films.
Kern Medical Emergency is a diamond in the rough. I recently graduated and stayed on as faculty (that says something right?) Feel free to PM me with any questions re the program.
For matching in residency, definitely do away/audition rotations where you want to end up and to see if the program is a "good fit". For Kern Medical Emergency you can visit for more info:
http://kmcemed.com/
http://www.kernmedical.com/health-p...rograms/emergency-medicine-residency-program/
http://www.kernmedical.com/health-professionals/medical-student-education/
Bringing back a thread from the dead. Nice.
I liked my training because it was split up between an academic center and 2 community hospitals with little backup.
The community sites you had to learn how to do everything, and I mean everything yourself.
But it was nice to also work at an academic center where you had access to all the consultants.
Consultants in academics (residents and fellows), can be difficult to work with, but if you actually listen to them you can learn from them as well.
I liked my training because it was split up between an academic center and 2 community hospitals with little backup.
The community sites you had to learn how to do everything, and I mean everything yourself.
But it was nice to also work at an academic center where you had access to all the consultants.
Consultants in academics (residents and fellows), can be difficult to work with, but if you actually listen to them you can learn from them as well.
A few with strong, dominant EM programs:
East Carolina
Carolinas
University of South Florida
Indiana (dominant at Methodist, while IM controls Wishard)
Kalamazoo, MI
Beaumont at Royal Oak, MI
In my own hospital, unfortunately Family Practice dominates because they were unopposed for 20 years. We are rapidly whittling away at that, and they now see us as a serious threat. Hopefully it will continue that way.
If you want to be really good at calling consultants down to the ED, go to Royal Oak Beaumont......
Ok people are just naming where they trained. My alma mater is listed on this page and the ED does not dominate there, it's a good program, but no.
The only place I really saw that fit this description was USC. The new LA County was essentially built around the ED, and it shows.
The only place I really saw that fit this description was USC. The new LA County was essentially built around the ED, and it shows.
Hennepin, no question. EM owns all patients in the ED, consults surgery on traumas only when they're needed. You had a very real feeling that the EM residents/attendings owned the show, and other services were very respectful/polite whenever I saw them in the ED.
Sinai Grace in Detroit and UCSF Fresno are the two that I've seen personally. They're both high volume, high acuity, and do the vast majority of their own procedures. The key for each is that they have very strong EM programs, but not a lot of other learners in the system.
Please all follow these rules when naming places where the ED dominates:
1) You can't name your own program because that would be biased.
2) You can't name programs where you didn't train because you have no idea what goes on there.
1) You can't name your own program because that would be biased.
2) You can't name programs where you didn't train because you have no idea what goes on there.