Hot Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nacholibre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am going to be presenting at grand rounds during my Sub-I next month and want to get a head start. They specifically told us that we should not present on anything that we have researched...so I was wondering:

1)What are some current 'hot topics' in otolaryngology that would be interesting and of use to talk about in detail?

2)What are some topics that most ENT's have a hard time remembering or keeping straight that might be useful to review?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a million. Search previous posts. The good things about controversies in medicine is they are rarely settled. That said, here are a few ideas:

Eosinophilic esophagitis
Efficacy of sublingual immunotherapy
Supraclavicular and submental regional flaps; can they replace most free flaps?
Radiosurgery versus real surgery for acoustic neuroma
Timing of trachs in very low birth weight premies
Beta-blockers in the treatment of hemangiomas

controversial topics are good unless there are people in the audience who have strong opinions about one side of the issue at hand. also, it helps to know your audience - is there a strong faculty presence, or is it mostly residents? if it's mostly residents, it could also be good to review standard topics that people tend to forget a lot (i.e., algorithms for thyroid nodules; penetrating neck trauma; etc). here's a random list of topics off the top of my head (some controversial, some interesting)

- pathophysiology of allergic fungal sinusitis (is allergy necessary? is fungus necessary?)
- minimally invasive parathyroid surgery
- middle ear implants
- airway management algorithm for Pierre Robin Sequence (trach vs tongue-lip adhesion vs mandibular distraction vs nasal trumpet vs watchful waiting)
- systemic anticoagulation for venous sinus thrombosis
- fungus in chronic rhinosinusitis
- sentinel lymph node biopsy in (non-melanoma) H&N cancers
- usefullness of FNA or intra-op frozen section for salivary tumors
- treatment for recurrent basal cell carcinomas (surgical and medical)
- recurrent laryngeal nerve reinnervation
- open craniofacial vs endoscopic skull base resection
- review of new devices/materials in sinus surgery (ie drug-eluting stents, newer packing materials,etc)
- management of the neck/parotid/facial nerve in metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma
- HPV in non-oropharyngeal H&N cancer
- usefulness/cost-effectiveness of genetic work-up in pediatric sensorineural hearing loss
- usefulness of FESS in cystic fibrosis patients

that's what i can come up with off the top of my head at the moment.

good luck