Personal Statement topics

Started by senseigmg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

senseigmg

IR Fellow 2019-2020
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been researching how to approach my personal statement and have come across 2 categories. One is the generic "why I want to be an otolaryngologist" and the other is a unique personal story, not necessarily related to residency goals or even medicine. I will be applying for the DO match, and am wondering if there is any consensus as to how to approach this. I would like to use it to make me stand out (hard to do with the generic), but on the other hand I don't want people to see it as a wasted effort to convey my desire to become an otolaryngologist. Any input from those who have interviewed/matched/interviews students?

Thank you!