-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
hotmail problems
Started by lola
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
anybody else? i keep on sending things to my boyfriend & he doesn't get them. he got something from his mom a couple of days ago that was sent like a week ago. i wish i hadn't used my hotmail account for med school correspondence 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope your hotmail account is not the one med school send email too, otherwise you better change it!
hotmail is highly, well, actually morbidly extremely and most of the time unreliable. first of all, if you leave your account 30 days inactive, like most other free web-based email service, will subject for deletion. not just all your emails will be deleted, even your profile will be deleted too. you have to basically resign up the service.
on the email delivery failure side, the problems is rooted into its nature of constantly coping with spam. because almost every one has a hotmail account, every spamer has 20 hotmail accounts, hotmail system is set up that you are not allowed to send a email to multiple addresses. (the limit might be a number greater than 20 less than 30.) further more, sometimes it will block email in which your email address is not on the receiptient (TO🙂 list, because those emails are likely to be spam.
on top of these confirmed problems, irregular delay of delivery or even total failure are usually reported. hotmail also is known for its excessive filtering and frequent "down-time."
my best advice is to use a school account which godforbid will never go down, or an ISP base email account. if it's impossible for you (non-trad), i will recommend you to find a more reliable web base email service.
u can find one from the link below:
http://www.fepg.net/usa.html
hotmail is highly, well, actually morbidly extremely and most of the time unreliable. first of all, if you leave your account 30 days inactive, like most other free web-based email service, will subject for deletion. not just all your emails will be deleted, even your profile will be deleted too. you have to basically resign up the service.
on the email delivery failure side, the problems is rooted into its nature of constantly coping with spam. because almost every one has a hotmail account, every spamer has 20 hotmail accounts, hotmail system is set up that you are not allowed to send a email to multiple addresses. (the limit might be a number greater than 20 less than 30.) further more, sometimes it will block email in which your email address is not on the receiptient (TO🙂 list, because those emails are likely to be spam.
on top of these confirmed problems, irregular delay of delivery or even total failure are usually reported. hotmail also is known for its excessive filtering and frequent "down-time."
my best advice is to use a school account which godforbid will never go down, or an ISP base email account. if it's impossible for you (non-trad), i will recommend you to find a more reliable web base email service.
u can find one from the link below:
http://www.fepg.net/usa.html
DEFINITELY DO NOT use hotmail for med school correspondence! Not only is it is very unreliable, especially over the last few months (my friend at MS estimated a 3-4% lost email rate!), but many of the invitations and acceptances sent by schools are "filtered out" because their programming thinks it's junk mail.
If any of you use hotmail for med school correspondence, change it on AMCAS and resubmit, and notify the schools of the change.
If any of you use hotmail for med school correspondence, change it on AMCAS and resubmit, and notify the schools of the change.
Hotmail is awful. Since Microsoft sells all the Hotmail address to people, it doesn't matter if you've never sent email to anyone with your Hotmail account. You will still get spam (as I have on at least 2 or 3 accounts)...
If AOL is all you got, it's better than hotmail!! And I believe that Yahoo and Hotmail both have a small # of MB allowed so you can't have more than certain number of mails in all your folders.Originally posted by lola
well what do you recommend then? yahoo?
i don't want to use aol b/c i get like 20 junk messages/day. there are so many i've stopped using the account entirely and just deleted them all out every once in a while.
I would go with AOL. I've used it before and it wasn't half as bad. Compuserve (AOL's cousin) is even better. I've used both for short periods of time and found Compuserve to have less junk mail. I'd say switch to CS.
how did you find out you weren't getting all your e-mails from schools?
aol isn't really that great of an option, because even though i have it now through my mom, she's thinking of cancelling the account.
any other good free options?
man how i wish i'd given amcas my e-mail forwarding address rather than hotmail account.
aol isn't really that great of an option, because even though i have it now through my mom, she's thinking of cancelling the account.
any other good free options?
man how i wish i'd given amcas my e-mail forwarding address rather than hotmail account.
people keep mentioning how hotmail will filter out emails to multiple recipients. Well, yes. But they filter it into your junk mail folder. So you'll still get the email. You just have to make sure and check your junk mail folder as well as your inbox. If you get one there, add it to your safe list. Or add the school addresses to the safe mail list now. Hotmail is not going to be the death of your admission if you can't get anything else.
Hey Lola, I think you will be fine.
Like you I am using a hotmail account for AMCAS and all the schools. I am a reapplicant and therefore lost my account at the University of Florida.
Yesterday I recieved my last invitation to complete a secondary.
I applied to 15 schools and I got emails from the ones that send them. Now it is true that what has happened is that the email is placed in the JUNK MAIL folder. I make sure to check any new messages in my junk mail and then I put the address on my safe list.
I hope that I haven't missed any emails.
This thread is scaring the hell out of me. but I don't think I missed anything.
Like you I am using a hotmail account for AMCAS and all the schools. I am a reapplicant and therefore lost my account at the University of Florida.
Yesterday I recieved my last invitation to complete a secondary.
I applied to 15 schools and I got emails from the ones that send them. Now it is true that what has happened is that the email is placed in the JUNK MAIL folder. I make sure to check any new messages in my junk mail and then I put the address on my safe list.
I hope that I haven't missed any emails.
This thread is scaring the hell out of me. but I don't think I missed anything.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by lola
nothing will ever go in your junk mail filter if you have the filter turned off, right?? cause i NEVER check my junk mail.
If you have the filter off, it should go in your regular Inbox.
Note to everyone: make sure you check your junk mail folder for stuff. Even if you have a school's email address on the "safe list," they can just as easily send an email from a different address later.
hey lola-
i found out that i wasn't recieving some secondaries after i changed my email account to aol. then i started recieving notices like "this is a second reminder to fill out this secondary..." from schools. also I never recieved secondary email notices from schools that i know do not screen- hope this helps- maybe create a new aol account- that is what i did- and thus far- no junk mail.
i found out that i wasn't recieving some secondaries after i changed my email account to aol. then i started recieving notices like "this is a second reminder to fill out this secondary..." from schools. also I never recieved secondary email notices from schools that i know do not screen- hope this helps- maybe create a new aol account- that is what i did- and thus far- no junk mail.
the thing is the junk mail forlder will be deleted if you don't check them frequently, or you reach your limit.
i understand the junk mail filter will be deleted, but nothing will go into it if you have the filter turned off. at least that's my understanding. i think i would have noticed if i had mail in there, as it says the number of new messages in each folder in parentheses.
Last month I was getting a rash of junk on hotmail that were really huge files (> 100K) w/ no text in the message box & weird subjects. Since then i haven't gotten as many. My theory is that it must have been a conspiracy by msn/hotmail to try to get people to pay the extra $20/yr for extra storage. Usual junk mails don't take up as much space.
As far as the filter--I've had mine turned off & have received everything from the schools. It's a bit risky to turn on the filter since you might not have time to check the junk mail folder everyday & yes, it is deleted automatically every few days.
As far as the filter--I've had mine turned off & have received everything from the schools. It's a bit risky to turn on the filter since you might not have time to check the junk mail folder everyday & yes, it is deleted automatically every few days.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 1K
D
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 3K
D