Hour Regulation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quixotic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for some ER's there are a limited number of days you are allowed to work per month. In that situation, is it alright to pick up a few extra days a month at another area hospital? What is average number of 12 hour shifts worked per month, 17?

Members don't see this ad.

My group doesn't have a rule about hours. I suppose you could work every day if you are insane. Most of us work about 150 hours per month. That's what I do. Some guys will work 180- 200 here and ther if they need the money but that gets very draining. My group doesn't care if you moonlight. If a group has an hour restriction because they want to evenly distribute the available shifts then they probably won't care if you moonlight. If their restriction is based on an attitude about performance and hours then they make make a fuss.

docB said:
My group doesn't have a rule about hours. I suppose you could work every day if you are insane. Most of us work about 150 hours per month. That's what I do. Some guys will work 180- 200 here and ther if they need the money but that gets very draining. My group doesn't care if you moonlight. If a group has an hour restriction because they want to evenly distribute the available shifts then they probably won't care if you moonlight. If their restriction is based on an attitude about performance and hours then they make make a fuss.

Is it reasonable to assume a salary of $175,000 just starting out or is that an over-estimation. Assume a population of 100K-150K. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quixotic said:
Is it reasonable to assume a salary of $175,000 just starting out or is that an over-estimation. Assume a population of 100K-150K. Thanks.
It really depends where you go and if you plan on doing academics or not. I'd say 175K would be easily doable in many areas as a private. Some places will make that as an academic. I can say that in Vegas as a private you'd make more than that.

how about lieutenants? colonels?

kungfufishing said:
how about lieutenants? colonels?

They don't make any more but they get to wear cooler uniforms.

In my ERs the "military" consists of:
General Delivery - the address for most of my pts
General Weakness - the complaint of most of my pts
Major Depression - the history of most of my pts
Private Pay - the insurance catagory of most of my pts

Man, today I saw a Major A$$hole patient, made me never want to be an EP even though I can make 300k a year working only 8 hours a week in NYC.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Man, today I saw a Major A$$hole patient, made me never want to be an EP even though I can make 300k a year working only 8 hours a week in NYC.

Q

I miss NYC so much that last night I peed in my humidifier. :laugh:

Disclaimer. Not mine, a comedian somewhere I heard and have never forgotten