Hourly income per specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Excel for the sake of excelling. It’s more fun to do something you are good at. Or excel so you can match ortho;)

That’s what I’m saying. I’m going into rads, but ortho makes like 600-700k+ and it’s not unheard of for them to make over 1 million. Remember that most orthos are fellowship trained. Most that practice “general” ortho are usually not working as much as the newer ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s what I’m saying. I’m going into rads, but ortho makes like 600-700k+ and it’s not unheard of for them to make over 1 million. Remember that most orthos are fellowship trained. Most that practice “general” ortho are usually not working as much as the newer ones.
most radiologists had to specialize a few years ago to get a job. I dont think subspecialization and length of training is necessarily a large factor in most specialties considering endo, ID, and nephro docs are working IM to make more money.

most radiologists had to specialize a few years ago to get a job. I dont think subspecialization and length of training is necessarily a large factor in most specialties considering endo, ID, and nephro docs are working IM to make more money.

Not for those, but Cards, GI, Heme/Onc all make considerably more than IM. It’s not always true, but in those cases it is. At least that’s what the MGMA shows. With rads some subspecialties make more like neuro and IR, some make a bit less but have better lifestyle like breast.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yep. At my community hospital every single orthopedist and every single radiologist is fellowship trained.

Thank you for chiming in! Most people think internists can't rake it in. You absolutely can if you're willing to work hard and look outside the box. You're proof of that!

Nah don’t listen to this guy

Hospital medicine sucks not worth the money, please choose EM, rads, gas or do some crazy divorce guaranteed NSG training

(Translation: don’t come in and saturate my golden nugget of a job market ;) )

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I didn’t say the majority of physicians are practice owners. I said hospital employment is not the norm in most specialties, e.g. all surgical specialties, all IM subspecialties, peds, FM, EM, anesthesia, radiology, path, derm, neuro, PMR, etc,etc.
Hospital employed makes up roughly a third of FM doctors. Another third is employed by government/other doctors. The last third are in PP with ownership stake (either solo or part of a group).

So to say its not the norm isn't quite accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input, So the 2 standard deviation above median salaries should not be expected to be the norm. I mean if making 200 dollars an hour as a nocturnist after three years of training is the norm , there is no reason to excel in school.

I think that most medical students (and to a degree residents) don’t really get good exposure to how physicians make money.

One of my group does 1 FTE days, is a director of a SNF, covers patients in the SNF, and used to do 0.5 FTE nights and was making probably closer to $500-$600k. Another is a director of hospice agency and does pharm dinners.

I make $146/hour on my paycheck, but I don’t stay in the hospital the whole time. 1 FTE means 26 weeks a year. I’m actually doing a bit different shift 8.6 weeks a year (that I am in the hospital 12 hours) plus 13 weeks of regular teams. I’m working 21.6 weeks/year. No nights. Also, most employed physicians have generous benefits.

There is wide variety in Hospitalist groups, days, nights, swing shift, round and go, icu, vents, and procedures. Not always an apples to apples discussion with salaries.

The bottom line Is that you can do well. Even if you don’t make top step scores.

Thanks for the input, So the 2 standard deviation above median salaries should not be expected to be the norm. I mean if making 200 dollars an hour as a nocturnist after three years of training is the norm , there is no reason to excel in school.
I would disagree. Working nights sucks.
Excel at school so you don’t have to take night shift work.

Indivial,
Certainly an individual choice. But my wife and D love it. No families to talk to, less paper work, 25% differential, which means they work at maximum 12-13 shifts a month, which more importantly means they have roughly 18/19 days off every month, while certainly not CT surgeon money, for basic shift work and no surprise calls, mid 400s is nothing to sneeze at...

Reactions: 3 users

Nights are not for everyone, that’s for sure.

You have to decide what you can tolerate first before you care about how much you get per hour.

For example, I chose hospitalist over EM. Having seen what kind of bull the ER has to deal with every minute on the clock, NO THANKS. Even if you paid me $500-600/hr for an ER shift I would say hell no to dealing with 2-3+ patients per hour with whining families, drunks, drug seekers, calling multiple consults and pcps all day long, interrupted by nurses non stop, and having to maintain some kind of a knowledge base of pediatrics, ob gyn which I absolutely hated in med school, plus true patient trainwreck emergencies that will disrupt your shift workflow....i can go on and on.

Yeah I prefer just seeing 6-8 admissions overnight, don’t have to deal with discharging anyone, have my midlevel deal with xcover pages, and still get some sleep or watch TV in the comforts of my call room while letting the ER sort out the riffraff for me.

Can’t speak for everyone, but it’s my understanding that you can have a private group, that is once an employee of the hospital or at least in my wife’s situation how it developed and they were integrated into the hospital.

easy there. Not trying to offend. I am sure there are plenty of IM Docs that excelled at school. But in general the data points towards the most competitive specialties being the relatively well compensated ones. But in the real world no one cares how well you did in medical school.

There are more top students going IM than any other field. It's just the other fields have less spots.

Reactions: 8 users
There are more top students going IM than any other field. It's just the other fields have less spots.
Yes, but the ratio of top students / not top students is lower compared to the other higher paying/higher step specialties

Yes, but the ratio of top students / not top students is lower compared to the other higher paying/higher step specialties

Again, that's due to the lower # of spots, not because of a lack of top students wanting IM.

This might be a dumb question but how common is it to "buy-in" to a hospitalist group or an outpatient practice? The common theme I hear from my preceptors is that the real money (whatever that means) is in having your own practice/joining a group. Being a hospitalist, aren't you a salaried hospital employee in most cases?

You are either a salaried employee or you work for a company that is contracted with the hospital. The company can be structured in pretty much any way you could think. From sole proprietor to multi physician partnership.

This is pretty important if your looking at PSLF, as most of these groups are not non-profit even if the hospital is nonprofit. (Ps I thinks PSLF is generally a bad plan).

The “buy in” is to get ownership position in the company for a share of the profits. I wasn’t looking for this when I started, and am probably not the one to talk about it. In my mind, being a hospitalist isn’t that profitable for most hospitals (unlike EM and surgery).