Hourly W2 vs 1099 when interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NightyNight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the upcoming grads interviewing or just working their first job:

Who knows their true hourly rate W2 when working days, past 5pm, or on standby?
Who gets quoted 1099 fake “salaries”?
Explained the exact number of call hours and backup committed by contract?

Point it out and have them give you a spreadsheet with breakdown of a real take home compensation package for hours committed. And that’s on the contract. Compare apples to apples. Not old school nebulous salaries and just here to get the work done.

I had a random group owner reach out to me for 400k 1099 for Q4 easy home call. I said at Q4, it would have to be W2 400k minimum for the time commitment in the major metro market I’m in. Probably low for other places. He fumbled about how PLLC saves you a lot in taxes. I told him I lose about 30% to taxes and other stuff so really you paying me 200s for W2.

You know anesthesia pretty well out of residency. But did you study finances to protect yourself from private scoundrels? Corporate hospitals should outline commitments exactly too especially if they want a non compete with radius. We all should pressure the move to CRNA style pay. I haven’t met one who is salaried. Maybe in other states.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

Point it out and have them give you a spreadsheet with breakdown of a real take home compensation package for hours committed. And that’s on the contract. Compare apples to apples. Not old school nebulous salaries and just here to get the work done.

I had a random group owner reach out to me for 400k 1099 for Q4 easy home call. I said at Q4, it would have to be W2 400k minimum for the time commitment in the major metro market I’m in. Probably low for other places. He fumbled about how PLLC saves you a lot in taxes. I told him I lose about 30% to taxes and other stuff so really you paying me 200s for W2.

You know anesthesia pretty well out of residency. But did you study finances to protect yourself from private scoundrels? Corporate hospitals should outline commitments exactly too especially if they want a non compete with radius. We all should pressure the move to CRNA style pay. I haven’t met one who is salaried. Maybe in other states.
If you are working full time for an employer, paid a salary, and taking q4 call on their schedule, then you are a W2 employee and calling you 1099 is mis-categorizing your employment.

Reactions: 3 users

no matter how easy home call it.

Let’s value it at on the lowest end $600/12 hrs beeper at $50/hr. That’s assuming u don’t get called in. That adds up to roughly 365/4. Or 91 days of calls x $600 equals 54k of free work they are getting out of u just being on the beeper.

Are u guarantee next day off? That may be fair return being on call. If u aren’t guarantee day off. That’s a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guaranteed off but still ton of call for 400k 1099. Only 4 docs rotating. So Q3 when one on vacation. It’s a no go. Especially when alternative is:

1. Daytime positions for 250k W2 for 32h for 44 weeks before benefits. Bread and butter til 3pm. Don’t have to stay past 3pm unless you want to get more. Don’t have to do OB.

2. Busy ortho ASC at 300-320k W2 for 35-40h for 44 weeks before benefits. Only thing is then not coming back to the hospital in the future due to lack of other case types over 2 years.

3. Call taking at 310k base W2 for 35h for 40-41 weeks. 32 calls/late past 5pm yearly. OT rate after 5pm. Ends up like 1 holiday.

Guaranteed off but still ton of call for 400k 1099. Only 4 docs rotating. So Q3 when one on vacation. It’s a no go. Especially when alternative is:

1. Daytime positions for 250k W2 for 32h for 44 weeks before benefits. Bread and butter til 3pm. Don’t have to stay past 3pm unless you want to get more. Don’t have to do OB.

2. Busy ortho ASC at 300-320k W2 for 35-40h for 44 weeks before benefits. Only thing is then not coming back to the hospital in the future due to lack of other case types over 2 years.

3. Call taking at 310k base W2 for 35h for 40-41 weeks. 32 calls/late past 5pm yearly. OT rate after 5pm. Ends up like 1 holiday.
Honestly unless u are married to spouse with a great job to force u to be tied to the area. Or kids ingrained in area with friends and grand parents nearby, no sense in taking the job there. Look elsewhere. What is keeping u to the area?

Crnas are making more than 225k w2 are my place working 3-4 days a week with no call commitments plus generous health care benefits and retirement benefits BEFORE overtime with same 9 plus weeks paid time off. And no weekends or nights.

And to be honest we can’t barely get crnas to work 3-4 days a week for 225k to begin with.

You are getting the worst of all worlds
Little paid time off
Lots of calls /time commitment
Low pay

Reactions: 7 users
Honestly unless u are married to spouse with a great job to force u to be tied to the area. Or kids ingrained in area with friends and grand parents nearby, no sense in taking the job there. Look elsewhere. What is keeping u to the area?

Crnas are making more than 225k w2 are my place working 3-4 days a week with no call commitments plus generous health care benefits and retirement benefits BEFORE overtime with same 9 plus weeks paid time off. And no weekends or nights.

And to be honest we can’t barely get crnas to work 3-4 days a week for 225k to begin with.

You are getting the worst of all worlds
Little paid time off
Lots of calls /time commitment
Low pay
In Illinois and tied to the area with family. The Chicago suburbs don’t have the best jobs compared to other states.

10 weeks is the higher end of vacation. Those are like Sherman, Lutheran, and Christ. Pay is 550k but lot of call so no one is biting. Thus locums everywhere.

CDH pays 580k with 9 weeks. But that’s a mini academia type of place with 5pm days and lots of call. 4 days or 0.8 weekly with 40 calls/lates past 5pm is still only 475k. 2000 7a-5pm. 250 after.

I think their other sites are around 400-440k FT excluding downtown. For example, McHenry is Q4 with 10 docs and about 8 weeks off but no OB. I don’t know about Huntley but a Gaswork post said 400k. That’s also far far from Chicago.

Endeavor NorthShore pays in 400s for full time for ACT model unless someone knows differently. Docs still take all the call. I was told that one site with 13-14 call takers and 5 docs each day on exit list means you are literally on the hook/call or post call most days. 8 weeks off max. Eventually the private groups being absorbed will take some pay cut for their coverage.

For #1, people make 400k for 6 calls a month and 8 weeks off. After 2 years of doing that, you get closer to 550k W2. But it’s 6 calls a month and always one full weekend. Thus I wouldn’t do that for family reasons.

With #2, you can make more if you want but to hit 500 you need to put in 50h and take like 6 weeks off. Another surgery center gig is 375k for a few sites and 5 weeks off. And a NAPA example at Rush is 50h weekly, all ACT model at 450k for 8 weeks off so almost 200/hr.

With #3 on my list, full time supposedly at 450k base. 45 calls. 9-10 weeks off. With OT, people make in 500s. 200/hr daytime. OT 250ish

Does anyone in Chicago area feel that they have a reasonable job with no more than 4 calls/backup monthly? Would like to hear from those somewhat happy in their jobs.

W2 CRNAs don’t all make 225k around here. 160/hr W2 is high. Closer to 120-130/hr W2. Even the AMCs start at 115/hr. 1099 is different asking for 225/hr minus taxes.

Where is your magical place paying docs well with little to no call? I’m looking to chill and money is no longer a priority. Just something sort of stable. Please feel free to DM me.

Last edited:
In Illinois and tied to the area with family. The Chicago suburbs don’t have the best jobs compared to other states.

10 weeks is the higher end of vacation. Those are like Sherman, Lutheran, and Christ. Pay is 550k but lot of call so no one is biting. Thus locums everywhere.

CDH pays 580k with 9 weeks. But that’s a mini academia type of place with 5pm days and lots of call. 4 days or 0.8 weekly with 40 calls/lates past 5pm is still only 475k. 2000 7a-5pm. 250 after.

I think their other sites are around 400-440k FT excluding downtown. For example, McHenry is Q4 with 10 docs and about 8 weeks off but no OB. I don’t know about Huntley but a Gaswork post said 400k. That’s also far far from Chicago.

Endeavor NorthShore pays in 400s for full time for ACT model unless someone knows differently. Docs still take all the call. I was told that one site with 13-14 call takers and 5 docs each day on exit list means you are literally on the hook/call or post call most days. 8 weeks off max. Eventually the private groups being absorbed will take some pay cut for their coverage.

For #1, people make 400k for 6 calls a month and 8 weeks off. After 2 years of doing that, you get closer to 550k W2. But it’s 6 calls a month and always one full weekend. Thus I wouldn’t do that for family reasons.

With #2, you can make more if you want but to hit 500 you need to put in 50h and take like 6 weeks off. Another surgery center gig is 375k for a few sites and 5 weeks off. And a NAPA example at Rush is 50h weekly, all ACT model at 450k for 8 weeks off so almost 200/hr.

With #3 on my list, full time supposedly at 450k base. 45 calls. 9-10 weeks off. With OT, people make in 500s. 200/hr daytime. OT 250ish

Does anyone in Chicago area feel that they have a reasonable job with no more than 4 calls/backup monthly? Would like to hear from those somewhat happy in their jobs.

W2 CRNAs don’t all make 225k around here. 160/hr W2 is high. Closer to 120-130/hr W2. Even the AMCs start at 115/hr. 1099 is different asking for 225/hr minus taxes.

Where is your magical place paying docs well with little to no call? I’m looking to chill and money is no longer a priority. Just something sort of stable. Please feel free to DM me.
I’m also interested in the Chicago market and am open to anyone’s input. Considering doing locums in the city if no single job is worth taking

$115/hr w2 crna salary is based on 2087 full time hours the way the contracts are usually worded.

Equals 240k for crna annual salary

Just like doctors salary is $225/hr based on 2087 hours equals 469k annual salary.

I don’t know Chicago area

I don't know specifics about 1099 vs w2 but I have in general thundered away at how private groups are predators these days with extended buy ins. Corporate medicine can be predatory as well but from what I've seen hunting jobs they at least pay a higher starting salary and more vacation universally, so unless the work requirements are dramatically worse it is currently the better market option.

I don't know specifics about 1099 vs w2 but I have in general thundered away at how private groups are predators these days with extended buy ins. Corporate medicine can be predatory as well but from what I've seen hunting jobs they at least pay a higher starting salary and more vacation universally, so unless the work requirements are dramatically worse it is currently the better market option.
Yeah. Everybody is predatory in the Chicago area. Wish I could move away from here

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. Everybody is predatory in the Chicago area. Wish I could move away from here
Indiana is not a long drive. Wouldn't kill you to live 1-2 hours from Chicago! Much better jobs/practice environment. Just putting that out there.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Word on the street for all new grads. Don’t do Northstar in Chicago area. There is a guy named Romeo literally who tries to convince people to sign up. He’s a slimy parasite when they talk to him.

All their sites operate unsafely with bad clinical events

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Word on the street for all HUMANS new grads. Don’t do Northstar ANYWHERE in Chicago area.
FTFY

The best thing to do, if a Northstar rep is spotted lurking near your hospital, is to hit the creature with a succ dart and let it asphyxiate in the parking lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Word on the street for all new grads. Don’t do Northstar in Chicago area. There is a guy named Romeo literally who tries to convince people to sign up. He’s a slimy parasite when they talk to him.

All their sites operate unsafely with bad clinical events
is he a physician or recruiter?

Deathstar. Of all AMCs I think that’s the worst universally.
I dunno. My buddy got some hard cold cash from the Death Star to sell out and they let his group run itself and didn’t bother them. He’s happy with them. They even doubled up their vacation from 8 to 15 weeks.

Not defending Northstar but it’s all locally managed. Depends who’s actually running the day to day practice there.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t understand with this terrible reputation, how comes Deathstar still in business?

FTFY

The best thing to do, if a Northstar rep is spotted lurking near your hospital, is to hit the creature with a succ dart and let it asphyxiate in the parking lot.
I posted an honest description of my job at a Northstar group in the job board. It's by far the best cardiac anesthesia job I've seen hours/pay ratio wise. Seems like it's city dependent.

In my experience, anywhere with level 1 trauma call or transplant call is difficult to find that has reasonable compensation for covering those things.

I posted an honest description of my job at a Northstar group in the job board. It's by far the best cardiac anesthesia job I've seen hours/pay ratio wise. Seems like it's city dependent.

In my experience, anywhere with level 1 trauma call or transplant call is difficult to find that has reasonable compensation for covering those things.

675k for 10 weeks and 35 hours a week is pretty good.

I would worry about stability/changes from AMC, especially deathstar. How long has it been like that?

675k for 10 weeks and 35 hours a week is pretty good.

I would worry about stability/changes from AMC, especially deathstar. How long has it been like that?
~5 years, general jobs at my place are as good for the pay vs hours imo. It's the same quality of job at our other sites in the city for our particular group. I can't speak to any other cities, but we have it good.

Change is always a possibility, but you are more likely to fall victim to payor mix shifts with private groups or non-stipended AMCs than any other factor. Payor mixes even affect hospital employed groups that I've seen. This has affected dozens of groups that I personally know of in the last 5 years but ours is cruising along.

One of my cardiac friends is loving his Envision group in Florida too. It's ruralish, but he's got 500k base with 17 weeks off, loads of incentives, supervises residents and occasionally 3:1 but mostly does cardiac stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
~5 years, general jobs at my place are as good for the pay vs hours imo. It's the same quality of job at our other sites in the city for our particular group. I can't speak to any other cities, but we have it good.

Change is always a possibility, but you are more likely to fall victim to payor mix shifts with private groups or non-stipended AMCs than any other factor. Payor mixes even affect hospital employed groups that I've seen. This has affected dozens of groups that I personally know of in the last 5 years but ours is cruising along.

One of my cardiac friends is loving his Envision group in Florida too. It's ruralish, but he's got 500k base with 17 weeks off, loads of incentives, supervises residents and occasionally 3:1 but mostly does cardiac stuff.
Well Deathstar per admin wants only 10 docs per my old co resident. That’s Q4 call and who knows how late you are on day 2 and 3. So site dependent. She hates her admin and the surgeons. Slow docks that think that a 5pm addon for non urgent **** is okay. Like nothing clinically needing it and wants to bump an ectopic cuz there is a turf war with anesthesia getting in the crossfire.

Either AMC played nice at your place or some kind of shill. They overall don’t care for docs, patient safety, and clueless admin. Their game plan is go Vegas on your license.

Well Deathstar per admin wants only 10 docs per my old co resident. That’s Q4 call and who knows how late you are on day 2 and 3. So site dependent. She hates her admin and the surgeons. Slow docks that think that a 5pm addon for non urgent **** is okay. Like nothing clinically needing it and wants to bump an ectopic cuz there is a turf war with anesthesia getting in the crossfire.

Either AMC played nice at your place or some kind of shill. They overall don’t care for docs, patient safety, and clueless admin. Their game plan is go Vegas on your license.
We only run 1 room on call unless there's a cardiac case and if 1st call is there late they're almost always getting post 1st call off unless something crazy happens. If they start cases the next day that's paid out extra. Surgeons seem to get along pretty good as it's a small hospital, and I like them as well as our group admin a lot. I don't feel like my license is at stake and I think that our call is very manageable.

My takeaway working here and from friends in other places is that local groups don't represent the entire management company in some cases. The individual jobs are what they are, and even in large private practices some sites are different from others.

Was chief or part of the DMC. And probably functions like Kim Jong Un type of leadership.
What do you personally know about this Kaddoum guy? Can PM me. More info needed since an old resident started to locum at a site.