Hours an Orthopedist works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeikoTanaka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I know this is a silly question. I say it's silly because, let's face it, I feel like Ortho attracts "Type A" personality individuals who are willing to do whatever they need to do to be successful.

So my question is: How many hours realistically can an orthopedist work at MINIMUM?

I am interested in Ortho, but I have scribed for various Orthopedic surgeons prior to medical school (I'm a first year now) and they were VERY intense individuals who would work from sunrise to sunset, every day.

I love working hard, but I'm more of a sprinter who works really hard for a good 7-8 hours then needs to call it quits.

Obviously residency is another story, that I don't care about, sign the dotted line and sell my soul to the Devil, 100 hours a week, w/e.

But in the long term, I'm a bodybuilder, I want to start a family, I'm big into hiking and boating, so will ultimately want to do and continue all my interests even being a surgeon.

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

7-8 hours is nothing. It’s still morning after 7 hours of work. Surgeons work hard, for their careers. You can slow down later after you’ve established yourself, but a lot don’t.

7-8 hours is nothing. It’s still morning after 7 hours of work. Surgeons work hard, for their careers. You can slow down later after you’ve established yourself, but a lot don’t.
This is not true, in MY experience. It all depends what you want to do OP in terms of how much money you make, where you want to live, etc. If you work in a small community hospital, it'll be long days, but not impossible at all. Around where I live, the surgeons work M-F (5AM ish - 5 PM) and then take call for one weekend every couple of weekends. Most of them have PAs and clinic days too so it's not quite working the full 12 hours in the OR every day either.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not true, in MY experience. It all depends what you want to do OP in terms of how much money you make, where you want to live, etc. If you work in a small community hospital, it'll be long days, but not impossible at all. Around where I live, the surgeons work M-F (5AM ish - 5 PM) and then take call for one weekend every couple of weekends. Most of them have PAs and clinic days too so it's not quite working the full 12 hours in the OR every day either.
You’re saying 12 hour days is chill, which is absolutely fair, but in no world will 7-8 hours be what you work in orthopedics on a regular basis.

You’re saying 12 hour days is chill, which is absolutely fair, but in no world will 7-8 hours be what you work in orthopedics on a regular basis.

Okay.... as an actual orthopaedic surgeon, I can tell you that the above is not true. I know many private guys who work those hours. Not to mention locums guys. Hell, even at academic places some of the joints guys did 730-3 and then peaced out.

OP, it’s all about how much you are willing to sacrifice and where you want to be. You need to tough it out for residency, but as long as you are willing to put up with a lower salary, then sure, you can do whatever. Your career is yours to set up—but be prepared to work more in your younger years, because that’s how you get the cush hours later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Okay.... as an actual orthopaedic surgeon, I can tell you that the above is not true. I know many private guys who work those hours. Not to mention locums guys. Hell, even at academic places some of the joints guys did 730-3 and then peaced out.

OP, it’s all about how much you are willing to sacrifice and where you want to be. You need to tough it out for residency, but as long as you are willing to put up with a lower salary, then sure, you can do whatever. Your career is yours to set up—but be prepared to work more in your younger years, because that’s how you get the cush hours later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree with this, as long as you’re not dumping on your partners.

Reactions: 1 user