Hours for Hobbies and Descriptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geronimo_SK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda confused on how you would fill in hours spent for hobbies/interests. For example, if I were to put Cooking/Baking, how would I put the hours for that? Also, it seems it is required to insert an end date, which doesn't make sense because I still engage in that activity.
Also, for describing the experience, would putting something like "Finding new recipes and making them for family is a tremendous stress reliever" be odd?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kinda confused on how you would fill in hours spent for hobbies/interests. For example, if I were to put Cooking/Baking, how would I put the hours for that? Also, it seems it is required to insert an end date, which doesn't make sense because I still engage in that activity.
Also, for describing the experience, would putting something like "Finding new recipes and making them for family is a tremendous stress reliever" be odd?
You can insert August 2017 as the latest possible end date.

Total hours are pretty meaningless for a lot of hobbies. You could either enter a good faith estimate of total hours based on hours per week you tend to be involved in that activity. Or, enter a 999 and state in the narrative that total hours can't be estimated.

I like your description. Personally, I also like to know someone's specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
I just guessed for hobbies. I'm sure they got the idea. Nobody ever asked anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Hours are less relevant than what you actually did with the experience. You might consider rolling all of your hobbies under one activity heading if you don't have anything substantive to say for the experience. For your cooking example, if you did things involving a business venture (selling your goods in whatever setting) or perhaps entered cooking competitions of some type, then that might be worth listing separately. Those kinds of things show that you were really invested in a hobby. If you simply like making from-scratch food everyday, well... less so in my opinion. Lots of people enjoy doing that, some would consider it a basic responsibility for living.

Reactions: 1 user
Hours are less relevant than what you actually did with the experience. You might consider rolling all of your hobbies under one activity heading if you don't have anything substantive to say for the experience. For your cooking example, if you did things involving a business venture (selling your goods in whatever setting) or perhaps entered cooking competitions of some type, then that might be worth listing separately. Those kinds of things show that you were really invested in a hobby. If you simply like making from-scratch food everyday, well... less so in my opinion. Lots of people enjoy doing that, some would consider it a basic responsibility for living.

Agree. But if you are the person who arrives at the doorstep with baked goods or a pot of soup for occasions both happy and sad, then that is more than just cooking to put food on your own table. A hobby doesn't have to become a business or a competition. I knit 46 pairs of mittens for charity one year but it wasn't a business or a competition... see what I mean?

Agree. But if you are the person who arrives at the doorstep with baked goods or a pot of soup for occasions both happy and sad, then that is more than just cooking to put food on your own table. A hobby doesn't have to become a business or a competition. I knit 46 pairs of mittens for charity one year but it wasn't a business or a competition... see what I mean?

Yeah, I'd agree - my point was more that there should be something substantive to the experience if you're going to talk about it individually rather than listing it as one of a few hobbies under a single heading. If I'm looking at someone's application and see that they listed a hobby or activity or whatever on its own, I expect that there's something to it. I would be somewhat disappointed as an interviewer if you listed cooking as its own activity and, after I ask you about it, find that it's not really a unique experience.