Hours of studying

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by sabsaf123, Aug 18, 2015.

1. sabsaf123

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey all,

So I’m currently in the application process and I wanted to get a better understanding of what med school is really like. The main thing I want to know is, how did you peeps change your study methods from undergrad? Do you think just adding more hours of studying would be enough for a typical student to be able to get through? Could anyone describe how many more hours you hit the books for now compared to college?

2. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    more and different. the problem is that in undergrad, you have time to master the material for a test. studying more provides benefit. in med school, you simply don't have time to master everything. you get used to walking into every test underprepared. you need to learn to go through material faster.

DoctorLacrosse, Mad Jack and Dharma like this.
  3. kenjixshadow

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    x

#3 kenjixshadow, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  4. wjs010

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    3 -4 on week days. However much I can handle on weekends

5. sabsaf123

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey wjs010,

Is that a big bump up from how much you studied weekly for college classes or for the MCAT?

6. yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

I studied maaaybe 3 hours a week in undergrad....unless a test was coming up then I crammed. For ochem maybe closer to 5 tp 6 hours a week.

Now I study 4 hours a night and 12 on Sat and sun....so about 40 to 50 hours a week outside of class.

7. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It's not merely adding more hours, but studying in a way that is best attuned to your learning style. Some people have to hear things, and so they may do best in study groups teaching their friends, or listening to lectures on video playback.

Other are visual and do best by making tables charts figures, writing out pathways, etc.

Merely reading and re-reading your PPT files to try to memorize them like you're learning Othello and Titus Andronicus, isn't going to work. You have to be able to think and apply as well as memorize.

I have tons of students who have troubles in the first third of their first semester because not only the sheer overload of material clobbers them, but they find that what worked in college doesn't work in med school!

The drinking from the fire hose analogy is apt, but it's more accurate to say "drinking from the firehouse while running after the fire truck!"

I'm going to post a longer version of this soon in Allo and Osteo; stay tuned
    EDIT: I already HAD posted the longer version!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/goros-guide-to-medical-student-success.1150991/#post-16712485

darknecrosforte and Crookster like this.
  8. wjs010

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh yea because I only studied the day before tests (mainly) in college. Maybe 3-4 days if it was organic. But med school is more tolerable because I like the subjects. No BS physics or basic chemistry crap.

I hate physics and pretty much every subject on the mcat. Med school is cool though. 2nd yr is harder but even cooler than 1st. I still play video games and workout and watch a few shows.. That may change if stuff kicks into high gear. As long as you try to study every day, you'll save yourself a lot of stress

#8 wjs010, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    frosted_flake and Crookster like this.
  9. W19

W19
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am putting 6 hrs+/day and it is still not enough. When that madness will stop? Thank God I am not gunning for any competitive specialty. There are some people in my class who are putting 10 hrs/day consistently. During MS1 there was one of them who told me he was depressed after getting 88 on an exam even after I told him I got 82:(.

10. DocVapor

DocVapor Big Schwartz
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bro, you got gunned. Don't listen to that noise. Do what you gotta do.

W19 likes this.
  11. ChiTownBHawks

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My favorite are the people who "hardly study" and everything is "easy". Yet, you can see the bags under their eyes....

12. Shinobiz11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I crammed almost everything in undergrad.

So far I've been going over lectures the day of and doing consistent repetition of slides/personal notes. Our teachers or "lecture objectives" at the beginning of each PowerPoint, so those are the things we focus on and make questions on in groups. That being said, our first block exam is Monday so I was at school from 930-7 today; anatomy lab, model room, group study, individual study, etc.

13. yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Schools that provide objectives (mine) are awesome. Test material must come from objectives (is this true at your school too @Shinobiz11 ?), so it makes finding high yield stuff super easy.

I basically make outlines using their objective sheets, make anki/quizlet cards off the outlines, and hammer that shiz for hours on end. I feel like I'm getting a great understanding this way...but time will tell.

14. JeBrAs

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I used to cram in undergrad as well.

During our first block we generally had lecture from 8:00-12:00/2:00, I would go straight to the library after that until 6:30. I never needed to study passed 8:30 on any night leading up to the exams. I would put in about 12 hours of studying in on the weekends as well. ~40 hours per week outside of class.

Now that we have started anatomy I generally am in class/lab from 8:00-5:00 everyday (not as much time in the day to study anymore) then I head to the library till about 7:30-8:00 before I go home for a dinner break. Depending on the night I may study another hour after that (my brain starts cycling down at about 9:00 and becomes useless with retaining information). I predict my hours spent studying on the weekends will only increase. Hard to say how much time I can devote to studying now, only 1 week into gross anatomy.

15. dkt888

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I definitely agree about the objectives. I focus solely on those, and it's working so far. Sometimes there's info in the notes that isn't covered in the objectives, so I just skip over it. Many of the MS2s at my school have said this method works fine. I also talk through the objectives out loud to myself because it helps me make connections.

I also don't go to lecture, so I just go through the notes and objectives during the time I would be in lecture. If I need clarification, I find it in the podcasted lecture. Histo and anatomy on the other hand take lots of time and repetition for me because I have zero background in those subjects.

16. sabsaf123

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So do you guys study for like 50 mins then 10 min break and just repeat? Or do you actually study for like 2+ hours w/o break?

17. Shinobiz11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I find the objectives helpful in knowing the big picture, then flashcard all the small details.

Just depends. I usually study in a group of 2-6 peeps, we put headphones on and do our own individual stuff and just get into conversations or take breaks whenever. Someone puts questions or histology slides on the study room TV and we go over it together. Also it's great to study with others because we understand stuff differently. I have learned so much from my friends explaining it to me. Jeopardy is fun too.

18. ChiTownBHawks

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I study for as long as possible without breaks. That can be 4 hours or 30 minutes. You really just do you.

19. JeBrAs

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on how dense the material is and how familiar I am with it. I typically can go 2-3 hours straight and then take a 15-30 minute break and then do another 2-3 hours and then be done after that. Also there are short 2-3 minute bathroom breaks in there as well. I tend to follow this pattern both after a full day of class/lab and on the weekends.

20. macklemo

Medical Student
    Focus on if the professors have specific words in different colors. At my school (TUNCOM) the professors will have certain clinical correlations and symptoms for diseases in another color. Those are things that will get tested on the most. Objectives are also super helpful but there may be some more hints and clues that make sense of objectives within the PPTs. As for studying, I spent 3-4 hours on weekdays and about 10-12 hours on weekends. On weekends, I go over material that we did that week and commit whatever is important to memorization.

21. EmergDoc2B

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I studied at least 40 hours a week on top of classes. Sometimes more when tests were on mondays. I found my groove around second semester and cut back a bit and only wen that hard on test weeks. Plan to over study the first semester and then back off once you get the hang / flow of school down. Do not go the other route and coast only to find out you need to add more hours. Thats my 2 cents.

jqueb29 likes this.
  22. jqueb29

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    varies from class to class and year to year. last year, other than anatomy, i studied anywhere from 4-8 hours a day depending on how hard the class was. note: since i don't attend class and just watch lectures online, i am counting this as study time, so it's 4-8 hours total, not 4-8 hours plus lecture each day. however MS2 has been different so far. started off doing the same as last year, but after about 2 weeks i felt very behind so i've been studying day and night the past week to catch up. when i'm caught up and back in the normal swing of things, i reckon it'll be about 7-10 hours a day total.