hours per week on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

thegreenlight

I have already submitted my primary application to AMCAS. However, I am worried that I didn't put down enough hours/week for some of my activities even though I devote all of my time to them outside of classes. Can someone tell me if the list below looks reasonable? :(

research - 20 hours per week (three years)
significant leadership activity - 10 hours per week (three years)
significant leadership activity - 20 hours per week (for one year only)
significant leadership activity - 5 hours per week (one year)
insignificant sports activity - 1 hour per week (6 months)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that should be more than fine. Sounds like a lot of ECs, which is awesome. Don't even worry about it, nobody is going to think you were slacking off with those numbers

I have already submitted my primary application to AMCAS. However, I am worried that I didn't put down enough hours/week for some of my activities even though I devote all of my time to them outside of classes. Can someone tell me if the list below looks reasonable? :(

Is it honest?

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, assuming that the first two activities took place in the same time frame, you've got 6 hours a day of doing this stuff during a standard 5-day work week. If anything, this sounds suspiciously high.

Is it honest?

And it is vitally important to be completely, totally, unerringly honest, because AMCAS and the medical schools you apply to hire fact checkers to call your various listed EC's and confirm that you spent an average 15 hours per week spooning soup to homeless psych patients. If they find out you spent only 14 hours per week you will be dropped like a sack of hot potatoes and charged in federal court. :rolleyes:

To be sure, it's important to not make things up... but everyone embellishes. It's part and parcel of packaging yourself as a good 'sell' to the medical school.

Well, assuming that the first two activities took place in the same time frame, you've got 6 hours a day of doing this stuff during a standard 5-day work week. If anything, this sounds suspiciously high.

Exactly what I was thinking...61 hours a week HARDLY sounds "not enough"....:rolleyes:

Unless sleeping is one of these leadership activities, I don't even see how these hours are possible. Since you say in bold that you spend ALL time out of class in these activities, I must assume that includes sleeping.

Yeah, no kidding. I spend 2 hrs/wk on my "leadership activity" (language club), and that works out to be a lot of time, esp on top of classes, work, etc. Geez.

Is this a troll?

Does this include your clinical experience hours? I can't imagine how you could fit all this in unless you are really an older applicant and these don't overlap.

Can someone tell me if the list below looks reasonable? :(

No, it doesn't look reasonable. At all. I hope you aren't serious or I could be in trouble. Besides research, I was volunteering 6 hrs/week at one time and I thought that was a ton. My next best was still only 4 hrs/week.

I mean... 20 hrs/week!? While you were doing another 30 hrs/week? :thumbdown: Liar.

If you are at the lab for 6 hours a day, but only do actual labwork for 1 hour and spend the other 5 hours doing homework, can you still put on AMCAS that you do 6 hours of labwork per day (since you ARE at the lab that long everyday)?

Shady... :cool: Here's to hoping they don't ask you what amazing discovery you made with all those hours under your belt.

No, it doesn't look reasonable. At all. I hope you aren't serious or I could be in trouble. Besides research, I was volunteering 6 hrs/week at one time and I thought that was a ton. My next best was still only 4 hrs/week.

I mean... 20 hrs/week!? While you were doing another 30 hrs/week? :thumbdown: Liar.

Here was my reasoning. There are 24*7 = 168 hours in a week. Assuming that you sleep 8 hours each day, study for 6 hours each day, and eat/brush your teeth/shower/change clothes/etc for 3 hours each day, then you still have 168 - 8*7 - 6*7 - 3*7 = 49 hours to account for.

Remember, AMCAS asks for AVERAGE per week, so this could be true.

That's a crap load of hours. I filled up like 12 spots with most being <6 hours each. One had 15 but that was more of a hobby. I tried to average it out... and it came out to 15 somehow. It's something I've been doing for many many years. The summers in high school, I'd do it for 5 hours a day = 35 hours/week... school days, maybe 1-2 hours a day... = 7 - 14. It's a computer-related activity... that's the amount of time people spend on Youtube and Facebook :D

haha...I think ADCOMS might get suspicious with mine too...I put down 20 hours for a volunteer clinical experience...but I didnt mention that part of that is sleeping.

Make sure it's true (specifiy activities in your description to back it up), if the adcoms smell a rat then say bye-bye med school.