hours per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk0221

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most PA's work more than 40 hours/week on average? Are there any oppourtunities to work part time as a PA? I'm interested in becoming a PA, but I'm also very family orientated, so the amount of time I would spend at work is important...Also, what are some of the more common fields for PA's to work in? Any info would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

you can work as much or as little in any field as you want be it garbage collector, brain surgeon, pa, or anthropologist. don't let that be the deciding factor.
there are lots of part time and per diem jobs out there for pa's. I have 3 right now in addition to my full time job; not specifically for the money but because they all offer something different(rural, trauma, community setting, solo practice, etc).
between all my jobs I work around 200 hrs/mo but have friends who work 20-350 hrs/mo so the variability is huge. an avg job is around 36-48/hrs/week.
pa's work in every medical field that physicians do. some of the most common fields are family practice, emergency medicine, surgery, and orthopedics although I know pa's who work in endocrinology, nephrology, neurosurg., interventional rads, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a PA in thoracic surgery. She used to work around 50 hours a week. However, when she decided to start a family, she cut back her hours. She no longer operates and only sees patients three days a week while her kids are at school (around 9am to 3pm). I don't know if this is common, but she seems to have it made!

She doesn't get benefits, but her husband's job covers all their insurance needs.

especially in areas in high demand for PA's and in areas of medicine in demand you have alot of flexibility. Many P/T and perdiem opportunities. Most PAs in medicine work around a 40 hour week. Surgical, some new grads, and those with administrative positions tend to work more (in my experiences).