Hours worked by year in IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuakerMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

Here's a question- on average, how many hours did you work per week during your intern year? R2 and R3 years? I am just wondering if the hours you spend in the hospital drop off after your intern year.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats a tough question since the RRC work hours have mucked things up. I did 90-100 hr per week in my internship on inpatient rotations. Since the RRC work hours...more work has been shifted to the R2 and R3s...so now as an R2, I work almost 80 hours per week when on inpatient rotations to account for my interns not working those 10-20 hours a week that I worked last year. The bright side is that there are less inpatient months...

All of this varies per program. My program was a bit slow on the ball to make changes for the RRC requirements and this year has had a very reactionary approach to work hours violations...of which there have been a few.

Thanks Eidolon.

Is it the general consensus that the hours are less as you get to your R2/R3 years? Also- do most programs block off some time for you to do research?

Thanks

In most programs, R2s and R3s are working fewer hours the R1's. Besides getting to go home earlier most nights in ward months, upper years also have more elective time which almost always mean lighter hours then floor months. I have heard of one program that was pretty screwed over by the 80 hr work week though, so they had to pull their upper years in for more work so that the interns could be compliant with the 80 hr work week. Anyways, if you are looking for hours that specific programs are reporting, you can look them up through frieda:
http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,2654,140,00.html
http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/1,1239,,00.html