HOUSE study method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RobbingReality

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me that 6 mo prior to taking the USMLE he developed what he coined as the HOUSE study method. He said he would watch an episode of house everyday and build a differential with the characters. Then he would research the pathology of all the diseases discussed along with any physiology, pharmacology, ethics mentioned. He said by doing this it made studying for the USMLE less stressful. He was even recalling episodes during the actual test. I guess it paid off for him bc. he posted a 255/99 on last months USMLE. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone but I am really surprised some marketing team hasn't tried to jump on selling this gimmick to medical students.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure he quickly became an expert on SLE and Guillain-Barre :laugh::laugh:

Not exactly high-yield.:p

haha. Learn all the symptoms that could be lupus but aren't.

5 topics:
1. lupus
2. rare mycoses
3. lying
4. addiction
5. performing procedures that lab techs, radiologists, and surgeons perform.

Maybe, but the problem I see with this method is that you will end up missing all of the ethics questions! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
i diagnosed acute intermittent porphyria on scrubs the night before the test. i credit that single moment for my good score.

Yeah i made that diagnosis too! My only problem was they kept saying porphyria wrong on the episode! (you had to see it to know what I'm talking about)

listen to a senior who try to answer ethics/ behavior questions using HOUSE philosphy on Uworld, I did horrible, I got all my questions wrong
I repeat again WARNING- THIS IS DANGEROUS, DO NOT TRY IT AT HOME ( i.e this is not the way to study for the actual USMLE )

listen to a senior who try to answer ethics/ behavior questions using HOUSE philosphy on Uworld, I did horrible, I got all my questions wrong
I repeat again WARNING- THIS IS DANGEROUS, DO NOT TRY IT AT HOME ( i.e this is not the way to study for the actual USMLE )

You must not watch enough House then

Yeah i made that diagnosis too! My only problem was they kept saying porphyria wrong on the episode! (you had to see it to know what I'm talking about)

I noticed that too...funny thing is, that's not the first time they've diagnosed AIP on scrubs. I think it was in season three where JD was Dr. Diagnosis and Elliot was his side-kick "Bangs McCoy". They had the correct pronunciation in that episode.