House to vote on repealing obama reform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently, the vote takes place Jan 12. That's all the news I have for ya. :)

TBD.

D712

Members don't see this ad.

Will NEVER happen. I wish it would, but not with a Democratic majority in Senate.

It will pass the House, may even pass the Senate since there are enough "at risk" Dems that could see it as a way to save their careers. It will be vetoed and of course their are not enough votes to override the veto.

The real question is is it just a political ploy to make the Repubs look good to the tea party faction, or is it really a line in the sand?

Personally, I think that it is just a waste of time and a meaningless gesture that will accomplish exactly nothing. It is probably happening too early to be used as a significant campaigning tool in the next election cycle for either side, although the downside for the Dems with this is probably greater than the upside for the Repubs. It does, however, give the public something to focus on other than the economy, but we see how well that gambit worked for the Dems in the last session.

- pod

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like starting out with that out the gates is kind of shooting their political load a bit early. It also seems like it is difficult to explain why they would rather repeal than amend the major parts people have problems with, especially since they are suppossedly so against the deficit, yet it would add over 100 billion to the deficit in the next 10 years and something like 200 billion over the next 20 according to the CBO. Even if there were shotty accounting going on, that is still a lot of money to bet. In typical political fashion, they cherry pick when the CBO does a great job and when it does an awful job with no real justification other than being against their proposal.

Right now, I suspect most Americans want jobs created and economic stimulation. They also probably do want to get rid of that deficit, which there are plenty of other things to focus on than the "job killing" bill, but they simply aren't the sexy option to fight for.

It's a PR move. A lot of them campaigned on a platform of repealing it, and they have to make a show of force, even if there's no realistic way of them accomplishing it.
It's a waste of time, but the constituents that just elected them probably wouldn't accept a shrug of the shoulders and a statement explaining it that way.
To be fair, they never knew, pre-elections, what the final numbers would be, so it was always possible a big enough power shift might have given them the numbers needed.