Housing around Scholl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Augsburg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending Scholl this fall and right now trying to figure out where to live. I know I will not be living on campus and hopefully able to buy a condo or town home some where, the question is in what area. I am thinking of living close to one of the Union Pacific North line stops to make for an easy commute. Here are a few of my questions to ponder. How far is too far for the first two years? Does anyone like 20 to 30 minutes away and regretted it? Has anyone stayed up north around the North Chicago areas while in there third and fourth years and how are the commutes downtown? Any suggestions or comments would be great from individuals that have lived off campus more than 5 minutes away.

Members don't see this ad.

Do a facebook search for SCPM. There is a discussion called "What I wish I knew about SCPM..." Look at #4.

One of the Scholl ambassadors lives downtown and commutes daily with her roommate. She said the drive north is really not too bad in the morning (they leave at 6:45am) and since they stick around RFU after classes they miss rush hour on the way back in. She reccomended living in the student apartments for at least one year before moving closer to the city. I think this is a great way to get to know the city and get a feel for the demanding curriculum during the first year. :thumbup:

I will be attending Scholl this fall and right now trying to figure out where to live. I know I will not be living on campus and hopefully able to buy a condo or town home some where, the question is in what area. I am thinking of living close to one of the Union Pacific North line stops to make for an easy commute. Here are a few of my questions to ponder. How far is too far for the first two years? Does anyone like 20 to 30 minutes away and regretted it? Has anyone stayed up north around the North Chicago areas while in there third and fourth years and how are the commutes downtown? Any suggestions or comments would be great from individuals that have lived off campus more than 5 minutes away.

I used to stay an hour away from Scholl during first semester of 1st yr. From my personal experience its very bad idea. I moved in my 2nd semester to a place that is walking distance to campus.

First and second yrs are very demanding (first year especially). Driving an hour in snow for 8am physiology or biochem exam is a very bad experience. rather than studying, you are wasting your time dealing with chicago's traffic.I have done that and i regret every single moment about my desicion of staying away from campus in the first year.

Staying near campus gives you many advantages. Eg: staying in anatomy lab till late night or studying in library till it closes or wakeup at 5am and be oncampus in 5 mins and study for the 8am exam. plus you dont have to deal with the horrible morning chicago traffic or snow problems. :)

Please do remember, Podiatry school is very hard. the first two years are very overwhelming and you have to put all your energy into it. I strongly encourage you to choose a place which is near to school.

Some areas that pod students live :

1)Gurnee (if you stay near Highway-41 or I-94, you can be in school in 10-15 mins)
2)Libertyville
3)Hillside
4)LakeBluff
5)Waukegan (some say its a bad neighborhood)
6)Park City

Within walking distance from campus there are Woodland Apartments (they are actually closer to school than the Oncampus housing). A good number of RFUMS people live here. two bedroom costs around $1250 and 1bd room is arnd 1000.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To get an idea of the distribution of my time during my four years at Scholl how many clerkship's does the school make you attend (non-elective), what year (3rd or 4th) do they take place and where are they located in the city? How long at each place (2 weeks - 2 months)? I am thinking about somewhere south of North Chicago and trying to stay max 20 mins. commute (one way). Thanks for the imput I am trying to figure this out now so I can potentialy stay in the same place for all four years.

You can get away with living on or near campus the first 3 years. You are not downtown very often till your 4th year. There are plenty of people that commute their last two years. Just depends where you are comfortable living.