Housing around USC???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uofandy18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending USC next fall and I was wondering if anyone knew from experience what places (ie apartments or grad housing) are nice around and off campus. Also, if there are places to stear clear of, let me know about that info as well. If anyone has anything they can tell me I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this same question a little while ago and was met with silence and sarcasm. That might mean something...

I asked this same question a little while ago and was met with silence and sarcasm. That might mean something...

Heh.. for some reason I find your response very funny. Truth in just I suppose..

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the housing in the immediate area of USC is generally filled by undergrads (although there is some for grad. students).

I would suggest that you look downtown. There are many new loft projects that are opening up for lease and own. Also, there are numerous apartment buildings in the downtown area as well. The commute from downtown should not take more than ten minutes.

If this doesn't appeal to you, I would look west. There are places in west L.A., Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, La Brea area that are all within a 15 mile radius of SC'. The commute should not be more than 25 minutes, unless you happen to hit rush hour traffic.

You will most likely pay more if you go west, but it might feel safer. Although the downtown area is really not that bad. Many people will tell you otherwise, but their usually full of ****.

Good luck!

Do you mean the Bunker Hill area? I thought it looked all right in the daytime. Would you happen to know if it the kind of place where the freaks come out at night? The bad kind, I mean.

It really depends on where you are in life or what you like to do. If you have a family, South Pasadena and Culver City are probably best, South Pasadena has better schools though. If you want to live the frat house life, there are a couple of dental frat houses. Some students want to live by the beach, and they do, some want to live downtown, and they do. It just depends on what fits you best. Sure there are crummy neighborhoods, but every big city has them. Columbia07 has good advice too, best of luck in finding what works best for you. Also, if the place is a little pricey, you can bring the lease to financial aid, and they'll up your loans to whatever your rent is.

hey dreyfus regarding the frat house, assuming you go to usc, do you know how close they are to the dental school and how much they cost?

Thanks for the help. I just signed a lease with the Orsini apartments. The complex was very nice and they are putting in a new complex ready for lease this fall right across the street from the current one. They also have the incentive of one month free rent which is pretty nice, just so everyone knows.