Housing at Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Right now it looks like I'll be at NW next year for sure, so I wanted to know if any current students had any insight on apartments that were close to the school. I'm not too familiar with Chicago, and I know that Lincoln Park is somewhat popular with students and other "young professionals," but I do know that it is a bit further away from the medical school. I would prefer to live closer (I've heard Gold Coast is close???), but I don't want to break the bank too badly. I know that Lake Shore Center is pretty much a dungeon, but is it cheap? I'd probably be willing to spend around 800 bones/month for a place, and I wouldn't mind having a roommate.

Any insight guys? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

You can try McClurg, or Onterie. Lake Shore PLAZA (different from Lake Shore Center) is also a good bet that is pretty cheap. There's also several other buildings owned by NU called Galter and Worcester that are very affordable.

Originally posted by CUMD
Hey all,

Right now it looks like I'll be at NW next year for sure, so I wanted to know if any current students had any insight on apartments that were close to the school. I'm not too familiar with Chicago, and I know that Lincoln Park is somewhat popular with students and other "young professionals," but I do know that it is a bit further away from the medical school. I would prefer to live closer (I've heard Gold Coast is close???), but I don't want to break the bank too badly. I know that Lake Shore Center is pretty much a dungeon, but is it cheap? I'd probably be willing to spend around 800 bones/month for a place, and I wouldn't mind having a roommate.

Any insight guys? Thanks a lot!

at one of the places moo listed you shouldnt have to pay more than 900 for a convertible. the lake shore center dungeons costs essentially the same as the places moo listed but are crappy. DO NOT live in the Lake Shore Center. You can get more bang for your buck at the other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity....where do you guys live? And also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a "convertible" in terms of apartments?

Originally posted by CUMD
Out of curiosity....where do you guys live? And also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a "convertible" in terms of apartments?

lake shore plaza

a convertible is similar to a one bedroom apt but the bedroom is missing a dividing wall. its up to you to "convert" it into a room by putting up some sort of divider or curtains or something.

the lake shore plaza convertibles are running 650sq ft...420 ohio has 700 sq ft convertibles. i think mcclurg's convertibles are 600 sq ft...or that could be their studios. i forget.

Thanks so much for the input guys. Right now, I think I'm looking very closely at McClurg Court and Onterie because they seem so close to school. It also seems like 420 E. Ohio and Lake Shore Plaza seem like good bets, but I seem to be leaning towards McClurg...maybe the snazzy website stole my heart or something (www.mcclurgcourt.com). What do you guys think of McClurg? Any current students have any strong opinions (good/bad)?

Use this from the Chicago reader:

http://spacefinder.chicagoreader.com/cgi-bin/spacefind.cgi

type in one bedroom in zip codes 60611, 60610. I put in maximum rent as 1200 and 84 places came up.

Ideally you should live in "Streeterville" or River North. There are soooooooooo many high-rises in this area and a lot have move in specials.

However, you could so easily pull off living in LincolnPark, Old Town, Lake View, Wicker Park as the EL will whip you downtown in minutes.

You have a world of possibilities. Don't worry about a thing.

Congratulations on NW, it is one of the best medical schools in the country in perhaps the coolest location in the country. Downtown Living!

wicker park is on the el? i have heard that is a very fabulous neighborhood, but that the commute was a hassle.

Onterie Center (on erie st) is one block from NUMS. It's GREAT. It's pricey, but so are most places in the city. I think it's at $1250 (possibly more now) for a one bedroom, but they're really nice. There are a ton of med students/residents living there.

Gold Coast is the most expensive place to live in Chicago. I don't know if you want to start out there as a first year student. ;)

If you can find a roommate it'll make things easier on your budget.

Good luck! :)