Housing for PCO students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

does anyone know if there exists 3bed/3bath apartments around PCO? So far i haven't been able to find anything...please let me know! I would be willing to travel 10 minutes max to the campus...thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if there exists 3bed/3bath apartments around PCO? So far i haven't been able to find anything...please let me know! I would be willing to travel 10 minutes max to the campus...thanks in advance!

I know that Colonade has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms?

I know that Colonade has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms?

Yea, thats it. One bathroom is in the master bedroom, and the other is just in the hallway.

I'm not aware of Trilogy, Wyncote, Brookview, Colonade (Manor or Estate) having 3 BR and 3 baths.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have info about the Regency Park Apartments? They have a reasonable rental rate, but how is the area as far security? What do the aprtments look like? What's the average bill for utilities? If any current PCO students reside there, hopefully you can share your opinion of the place. Thanks

You can e-mail the ppl and they will tell you the average rate for utilties...

:confused: So I think I have narrowed my choices to Brookview, Regency Park Apartments, and Jericho Manor. I really would be interested in hearing from those PCO students who are currently renting from Regency Park apts. or maybe know someone who is and can shed some info. on the place other than what I can get from apartmentratings.com. BTW, they have a fairly steep appl. fee-- $80 altogether which I thought was high but the monthly rental rates aren't too bad, especially for a 1 br. Just was hoping to find out more about them from someone who might be living there.

Heres a question for all of you. How true are the reviews that you read online about these places? Cause alot of them are kinda freaking me out. I mean looking at the actual place seems nice until you read the review, but I dont see how it can be that bad.

Yes, I also was wondering about the comments on apartmentratings.com. It makes most of the places generally sound pretty bad. If you find a location with more than a 50% recommended rate you have found a gold mine! :laugh: I haven't checked out any places yet to see for myself. That's why I'm hoping more current PCO students might help us newbies out in sifting through the list of possible housing locations. They "been there , done that" so to speak.

Hear, hear. The reviews on http://www.apartmentratings.com make me feel there isn't a tenable home within fifty miles of civilization. Much seems to have to do with expectations (some people complain a place is bad if there's no fitness center, whereas, for others, trouble is akin only to rodent infestation); then, those who're upset are more inclined to leaving comments than are the content.

I do hope everything works out.

The novel continued. Some things I forgot to mention about Trilogy that are also nice added features. First of all, it is very quiet around here at all hours and never have any problems studying or taking a much needed nap. There are friendly door wo/men at the front entrance in every building at least until 11:30 at night and building #1 24 hours. They can help with groceries and/or will get you a cart to haul them up to your apt. in. The parking lot has security that patrols the lot quite a bit and I always feel very safe here. I never have a problem finding a spot to park pretty close to the building. I am not aware of any parking lot security at any other buildings. Trilogy is also only 10 to 15 min. drive to clinic as well. I noticed someone said that Trilogy is in the “ghetto” not really true. This is Philly…. You drive a block and you can go from rags to riches just depends on which way you drive. Speaking of driving, Trilogy does have easy access to the very nice Willow Grove mall just down Easton road, as well as 309 that takes you northerly up towards 276 which runs East and West (towards King of Prussia mall).

I should address the issues of the reported mice of Trilogy’s building #1. I do know a few people in building #1 that have complained of having mice in their apartment. I will check into this to see what Trilogy is doing about this problem. I have not had or heard of any problems in building 2 or 3. This is the only problem I am truly aware of at Trilogy, and keep in mind every place is going to have its problems just have to pick which ones you are willing to deal with.

If you have any further questions about Trilogy feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer them or get them answered. Please take all of this as my opinion and make your decisions based on what is right for you. I personally don’t care where you decide to live, just want to help make things a little easier for you. If you do decide to live in Trilogy let me know.

The colonade in my opinion is all that it is cracked up to be. Although it is true that you can make your apartment yours and as nice as you want you will still have to deal with all the problems that come with the management and building your apartment is in. I haven’t experienced the rodents and bugs, but the smells and overall feel of the place is real. It is nice that its right across the street, but for what you pay to live there I personally think it’s probably the worst rip off of all the apartment options. Take it for what it’s worth.

The Wyncote apartments are nice and I don’t have anything really bad to say about them, but the place reminds me of an old people’s retirement home. The colors aren’t really my style (Pepto-Bismol pink and light blues and greens) it’s like frickin Easter every day of the year. Anyway, I would rate it as the second best place next to Trilogy. Prices are comparable and you can get a washer and dryer in the apartment. Good choice for those with out cars b/c it is within walking distance of school.

Brookview from what I have seen is pretty nice as well, a bit of a drive, but not bad. The apartments I have been in were pretty good. There aren’t any elevators that I am aware of and the stair ways are pretty narrow so if you are going to live on anything but the first floor, bring some help for moving. I know from experience b/c I helped someone move in at the beginning of this year. There are only three floors so once you are moved in it probably isn’t bad unless you buy out the grocery store every time you shop. Not sure of prices for living here.

If you are in need of furniture when you get to Philly, let me know I will try and help point you in the right direction. I spent 3.5 days trying to find decent quality and price furniture around here. Ikea is great, but there are some other local places that are pretty good too.

Hope this helps. Any questions just ask. Best of luck and I will see ya next fall.

Thanks.

Finding an apartment is one of the most stressful parts of entering grad school...your pretty much on your own, Brookview is expensive but decent place to live...find a roomate get by the first year and then you figure out where you prefer living , once you become more familiar with the area.
Then you can be more comfortable with your place and roomate until...
all the fun begins in 3rd yr. when you gotta find places to live all over the country for 4-6 month externships :scared:

JAZZEYE, in which year are you (or have you already been graduated from P.C.O.)? How do year three and four work? Do you end up releasing your apartment in Philadelphia, or subletting it? How did you get short leases in your externship locations?

Thanks.

Hi, I just wanted to add my own question to this thread:

I'm kind of deciding between the Towers at Wyncote and Greenwood Terrace?
I'm just wondering which would be the better location for traveling to both the school and clinic, especially as I myself do not have a car.
And of course reasonable rent price, cleanliness of the place is a factor as well.

Thanks so much!!

Towers is about 2.2 mi and Greenwood Terrace is about 1 mi from campus. Both are walkable, but very inconvenient in the winter esp. snow days. I guess Greenwood Terace would be the better choice since it is a lot closer to the campus (20 min walk). The clinic is about 3 miles from the school on the other direction, you will most likely have to carpool with someone. Have you checked out Wyncote House, Colonade, or Jenkintown Gardens? They are closer to school and grocery, might make your life easier if you plan to live by yourself and do not have a car.

Towers is about 2.2 mi and Greenwood Terrace is about 1 mi from campus. Both are walkable, but very inconvenient in the winter esp. snow days. I guess Greenwood Terace would be the better choice since it is a lot closer to the campus (20 min walk). The clinic is about 3 miles from the school on the other direction, you will most likely have to carpool with someone. Have you checked out Wyncote House, Colonade, or Jenkintown Gardens? They are closer to school and grocery, might make your life easier if you plan to live by yourself and do not have a car.
thanks for the advice, i will look into those 3.. i think i tried looking up the colonade before but i think it was too expensive, especially being that the building is not particularly sanitary? i read of bugs and such :eek:
the reason i was looking into wyncote towers and greenwood terrace was i had a possibility of getting a roommate at either.

i'm just looking into my options because my last resort would be to get a car. i have mucho saving up to do + have to learn how to drive! :scared:

Hi, I just wanted to add my own question to this thread:

I'm kind of deciding between the Towers at Wyncote and Greenwood Terrace?
I'm just wondering which would be the better location for traveling to both the school and clinic, especially as I myself do not have a car.
And of course reasonable rent price, cleanliness of the place is a factor as well.

Thanks so much!!

Honestly, I would suggest getting a car; even if its a Flintstones mobile.

Lynwood Gardens is always an option also....just make sure you have an extended clip mase cartridge on you! :eek:

Honestly, I would suggest getting a car; even if its a Flintstones mobile.

Lynwood Gardens is always an option also....just make sure you have an extended clip mase cartridge on you! :eek:

eeek that doesn't sound very promising :O

btw would you still recommend a car, even with buses/walking to help get one around? :) I'm visiting tm so hopefully i can get find my answer then! :D